Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares? Toplef10Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares? I22gcj10Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares? Toplef10Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares? I22gcj10Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares?

+3
chocolatepop
Theresa
orionsbelt
7 posters

Go down

Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares? Empty Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares?

Post  orionsbelt 3/21/2010, 4:33 pm

I've started some black krim tomatoes from seed, and I'm planning to put one plant in my SFG this year. (I'm starting off small, and I've got a lot of tomato varieties to try out!). I'm wondering how many squares I need to dedicate to it.

The package says to plant 24" apart. A friend of mine who grew them last year in a container did the single-stem method and said that she suggests planting them about 18" apart.

Here's the question - does this mean I need to devote two squares of my previous SFG to the Black Krims? Does anyone else have experience growing these?

Thanks for any guidance!
orionsbelt
orionsbelt

Back to top Go down

Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares? Empty Re: Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares?

Post  Theresa 3/21/2010, 6:41 pm

Hi Orionsbelt,
I grew one Black Krim tomatoe last year that a friend gave me. I gave it one square and kept it trimmed to one stem, but I put it in the corner, that allowed it a little more room if needed, but it grew about the same as my other indeterminate tomatoes, and I planted them one to a square and kept them trimmed to one stem. I also really liked the flavor of this tomato!
Theresa

FOUNDER SFG forum 2009

certified SFG instructor

Female Posts : 211

Back to top Go down

Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares? Empty Re: Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares?

Post  orionsbelt 3/21/2010, 7:55 pm

Awesome, thank you for the info!
orionsbelt
orionsbelt

Back to top Go down

Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares? Empty Indeterminate

Post  chocolatepop 3/22/2010, 1:07 am

Since its a vining mater, go head with 1/sf! I am a sucker trimmer also Wink
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares? Empty Black Krim

Post  seb 3/22/2010, 9:09 am

I grew this one last year in my non-SFG garden, and I have to tell you it was delicious! Definitely planning on planting it again this year. From all that I have read and talked to other SFG-ers, trim to one stem and you can definitely get 1 per 1 sq. foot.

Steve in Layton
seb
seb

Male Posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 7/22/2013, 10:50 pm

BUMP!

I found this old thread while looking for info on 'Black Krim', but it doesn't *quite* answer my question.  

The issue I'm having is that my 'Black Krim' (assuming I was sold the correct seed) is behaving more like a semi-determinate vs. an indeterminate.  The thing has a monstrously thick stem, and it's really hard to keep it trained to one leader.  The suckers seem to fuze to the main stem and become like a mini-ficus tree.

Here's a pic so you can see what I mean:

Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares? Img_1710

I have it in one square next to some other toms who all share the same trellis, and it just looks like it should have more room, like in it's own bucket or in the middle of 4 squares like a determinate.  

I'm just looking for confirmation that your 'Black Krims' also behave this way before I decide to save seeds from this particular specimen; very strange habit this plant has...
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/23/2013, 8:52 am

Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares? 20130723_061007_zps9f15857d
My black krims look  similar. I would save seed if you think you might want to plant again Very Happy

Black Krim Tomatoes - how many squares? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 7/23/2013, 9:56 am

Thanks for the pic, Rooster; yours look a lot like mine, so at least that part of the question is settled.

What about spacing, then? I'm thinking that if I grow them again next year, I'll want to put them in their own bucket with a cage for support & let them be to see what happens. It looks like you have yours at one per square. Is that how you usually space them?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/23/2013, 10:21 am

Molly, I know the general concensus is one per square for indeterminate, but this is the last year I'll follow that spacing for mine. From now on I'll go every other square along the trellis for my tomatoes Very Happy

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 7/23/2013, 11:27 am

I have had pretty good luck growing black krim crops in the past using a 24" spacing and maintaining their spread in hoops. Last year, I tried training them as vines with 1 plant per foot. They grew 8' I had to raise the trellis and extend the string they were suspended from.  The plants seemed stressed by the pinching off of suckers and responded with grotesquely curled leaves (not attributed to viral problems). They required an increase in feeding due to the planting density and the fruit split because of the an inconsistent watering schedule (my fault). I was not used to having the plant's root area exposed to more sun which caused the mix to become too dry on hot days. I'm going back to the usual method, there wasn't enough difference in fruit size to bother with all the pinching and trellising required.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/23/2013, 11:42 am

I've not had problems or production issues  really.  I'm just looking for better Very Happy

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down