Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
question about wire mesh for burrowers - Page 2 Toplef10question about wire mesh for burrowers - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

question about wire mesh for burrowers - Page 2 I22gcj10question about wire mesh for burrowers - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
question about wire mesh for burrowers - Page 2 Toplef10question about wire mesh for burrowers - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

question about wire mesh for burrowers - Page 2 I22gcj10question about wire mesh for burrowers - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

question about wire mesh for burrowers

+11
Lindacol
Nonna.PapaVino
acara
cachecrashers4
tkdtara84
genes
FarmerValerie
Hoggar
Squat_Johnson
ashort
jazzymaddy
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

question about wire mesh for burrowers - Page 2 Empty Re: question about wire mesh for burrowers

Post  FarmerValerie 4/2/2011, 8:39 am

Is there a difference between a vole and a mole? I really don't need to know what the difference is if there is one, just curious as to if there is one.

We have moles, no problem last year, yes the year before, the year before that we had a dog whos favorite treat was moles, Oh how I miss that dog.

I'll take moles/voles over alligators ANY DAY, so you stayin Florida acara, I'll stay here in my part of the world where we have to put up fences and wires on the bottom of our boxes.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

question about wire mesh for burrowers - Page 2 Empty Re: question about wire mesh for burrowers

Post  acara 4/2/2011, 12:08 pm

Yeah, there's something to be said for living in a place where most your garden pest are carnivorous or poisonous Very Happy

Makes the other ones work for their dinner in my garden Razz
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/2/2011, 12:16 pm

FarmerValerie wrote:Is there a difference between a vole and a mole? I really don't need to know what the difference is if there is one, just curious as to if there is one.

We have moles, no problem last year, yes the year before, the year before that we had a dog whos favorite treat was moles, Oh how I miss that dog.

I'll take moles/voles over alligators ANY DAY, so you stayin Florida acara, I'll stay here in my part of the world where we have to put up fences and wires on the bottom of our boxes.
question about wire mesh for burrowers - Page 2 Mole_vole
http://northernwoodlands.org/outside_story/article/shrew-or-mole-mouse-or-vole
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 4/2/2011, 12:17 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think voles are little and cute in a rodenty sort of way, they are technically "field mice" that just happen to know how to burrow, they don't spend all their time underground. Moles are larger, uglier and always live underground.
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/2/2011, 1:03 pm

THANKS camprn!!!! "Preciate it.

The only cute member of the rodent family is the rabbit, if you ask me,which I realize that no one did, just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Of course I live in the country so creepy, crawly, sneaky critters are a constant battle, inside and out, and unfortunately so are the slithery ones.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

question about wire mesh for burrowers - Page 2 Empty Moles, voles and mice, oh, my

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/2/2011, 5:13 pm

This from a Washington State University publication: “moles are insectivores and eat little vegetable matter, voles are strict herbivores and readily feed on roots and bulbs of many kinds, often causing severe damage.” Having said that, too many moles in the yard indicates you probably have a severe grub infestation (think crane fly) and the resulting prevalence of tunnels may cause some plants' roots to somewhat dry out--which can stress the plant above it. BTW, you may find bites out of the shoulders of parsnips, carrots, etc. that protrude above the ground—also the work of Mouse, Vole & Co.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 4/4/2011, 12:15 pm

Just so you know, this is what a vole looks like... This one was fattened up with potatoes for a few months. Although he looks alive, I had just released him from the snap trap. I have never seen one alive

question about wire mesh for burrowers - Page 2 Vole1010

apologies for the double post,
see also:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t6089-moles-voles-and-holes#53123
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t2534-name-this-vermin
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t5998-vole-warning-tomato-destruction-overnight
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

question about wire mesh for burrowers - Page 2 Empty Wire Mesh andd Wire Cloth to stop Burrowers

Post  joncro55 11/10/2011, 2:37 pm

I just bought a large roll of 100' x 60" of extremely fine wire mesh from the following manufacturer.

http://www.bwire.com/

I was buying small pieces from Home Depot and Lowe's for a while and finally decided that it was just time to bite the bullet and buy a roll of this material for myself. Turned out to be worth it. I have put this stuff all over my garden and it has worked wonders. We used a 16 x 16 wire mesh, basically 16 wires per square inch, and I have not seem one of these pests since. I don't doubt that they can get through it, but I think it annoys them enough to keep them away.
joncro55

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/10/2011, 4:35 pm

Hi Jon and question about wire mesh for burrowers - Page 2 396615 to the SFG Forum! Thats great news for you and thanks for sharing. Wink

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

question about wire mesh for burrowers - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

question about wire mesh for burrowers - Page 2 Empty No Problem!

Post  joncro55 11/10/2011, 4:38 pm

Always appreciate when people share a good source of material to me, so I figured I may as well help out my fellow people!
joncro55

Back to top Go down

question about wire mesh for burrowers - Page 2 Empty Voles

Post  joncro55 11/14/2011, 4:16 pm

Never seen a vole in my life. That is a rare siting, thanks for the picture. Hope I don't see one anytime soon....
joncro55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2