Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
leaf lettuce Toplef10leaf lettuce 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

leaf lettuce I22gcj10leaf lettuce 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
leaf lettuce Toplef10leaf lettuce 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

leaf lettuce I22gcj10leaf lettuce 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

leaf lettuce

+7
dizzygardener
walshevak
Furbalsmom
westie42
madnicmom
BackyardBirdGardner
cabinfever
11 posters

Go down

leaf lettuce Empty leaf lettuce

Post  cabinfever 3/30/2011, 5:12 pm

How much lettuce do you plant in one square foot? Mel says 4, but when I planned out my 4x4 box here,

http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/Link-Page?id=kgp_home

it said to plant 16! That's a huge difference! What do you all say?
cabinfever
cabinfever

Back to top Go down

leaf lettuce Empty Re: leaf lettuce

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/30/2011, 5:22 pm

There is a concept called "microgreens" that I haven't taken the time to understand yet. But, I see some ridiculous numbers of lettuces and spinaches planted in one square because the gardner intends to harvest while the plants are super small....therefore can really cram them in there.

Mel says 4/square, and I am following him. But, that's me. Actually, I've lied a little there. I have a few squares with 5 lettuce plants in them...like the "5" on a die you roll in Monopoly.

So, jump in and lynch me, people......I've violated the system.....lol.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 3/30/2011, 5:31 pm

Lynch mob member here!
How dare you!!!!!!!
leaf lettuce 889526

I would do as BYBG and do 4-5 per square. That's what I plan on doing with my buttercrunch lettuce in my landscaping. LOL
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

leaf lettuce Empty lettuce

Post  westie42 3/30/2011, 5:37 pm

Most comments I have seen talk about harvesting larger heads so 4 would be ok there . Like backyardgardener just said if smaller size harvesting suits your desire then more is better. I like the 5 idea for a decent size and more for smaller ones. A crop or two will show you what works best in your SFG.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/30/2011, 5:53 pm

I tend to plant leaf lettuces much closer, maybe 9 to 16 per square, partly because I use the cut and come again harvesting method. I clip the outer leaves one at a time, and to be honest, I am too impatient to wait for bigger leaves. By keeping the plants small, they take much less room. I know this is heresy, but I tried 4 per square and with the way I harvest, there was too much room between these plants.

Some other lettuces really do need to be four per square, Romaine, for example needs more room, even though I do harvest this leaf by leaf, I like a little larger leaves on the Romaine.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/30/2011, 6:07 pm

Another factor to consider is the time from planting to bolt. My friends in the Philippines only got 5 weeks and 1 harvest before the lettuce turned bitter. Had to rip all the plants out a few days ago. The next batch they plan to harvest smaller and use cut and come again. If you are planting in heat and know you will not have time for bigger plants, then double up.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  cabinfever 3/30/2011, 7:14 pm

I'm in zone 3, so heat is not an issue! We might hit 40 tomorrow and we're all excited about that! Heat wave!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe I'll try one box with 5 and one box with 9 and see how it goes! I do plan on the cut and come again method. Thanx for the help!
cabinfever
cabinfever

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 3/31/2011, 8:37 am

Yep, I'm real big on baby greens. When I buy lettuce from the store I most often get the tubs of baby greens. My leaf lettuce is planted real close. I plant them something like 12 per square. I do Bibb 4 per square though.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 3/31/2011, 8:50 am

There are two basic types of lettuce, head and leaf. I think Mel is referring to the heads 4 to a square.

I am growing about 6 different head lettuces this year... buttercrunch, bibb (which are very much alike), deer tongue, red deer tongue, cardinale batavian and red amish. I started these inside in trays, and I just finished phase 1 transplanting. These heads are 4 or 5 to a square.

Leaf lettuce - I plant these in directly - three little rows in a square, and I don't count. If I were to guess, it's like 30 to a square. The biggest leaves get picked first.

I have also started planting a "salad square". I am doing one each week. One mini row of leaf lettuce, one arugula and one radish.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

leaf lettuce Empty Pushing The Envelope!

Post  Reverend Curlee 8/22/2011, 1:46 am

Love this thread! I am a SFG believer and Mel's Mix is awesome. To my mind it is the ultimate growing medium. That being said, I love to see how different people push the envelope on the method and achieve great results. I planted Swiss Chard this year (my first year) 4 per square. I love it. But after reading this thread I think I could go with the 5 per square die pattern. I just planted 12 seeds a few days ago in MM in small containers. They have already sprouted. I'll transplant in a few days.

RC
Reverend Curlee

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/22/2011, 9:08 am

Chard gets a bit larger than lettuces from my experience. 4 was fine for me. However, my lettuces now go 9 per square. The only reason you would plant chard closer is because you harvest early and often. Hence, the reason I adjusted my lettuces.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 8/22/2011, 11:50 am

I've been thinking about this same thing lately. I have some leaf lettuce that gets very big and bushy and needs to be planted 4 per square, but the lettuce I have in the garden now is absolutely puny and could probably be put 9 per square easily. I think it all depends on the type of lettuce and how you plan on using it!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/22/2011, 1:25 pm

littlesapphire wrote:I've been thinking about this same thing lately. I have some leaf lettuce that gets very big and bushy and needs to be planted 4 per square, but the lettuce I have in the garden now is absolutely puny and could probably be put 9 per square easily. I think it all depends on the type of lettuce and how you plan on using it!

A lot of spacing is trial and error. For most things, Mel's spacing doesn't need to even be given a 2nd thought. However, as you garden more, you will adjust things to your needs/habits. Mel's spacing should definitely be your default or starting point. But, as the years go, you will know what and when to change a thing or two around.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 8/22/2011, 4:14 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:
littlesapphire wrote:I've been thinking about this same thing lately. I have some leaf lettuce that gets very big and bushy and needs to be planted 4 per square, but the lettuce I have in the garden now is absolutely puny and could probably be put 9 per square easily. I think it all depends on the type of lettuce and how you plan on using it!

A lot of spacing is trial and error. For most things, Mel's spacing doesn't need to even be given a 2nd thought. However, as you garden more, you will adjust things to your needs/habits. Mel's spacing should definitely be your default or starting point. But, as the years go, you will know what and when to change a thing or two around.

lol, yep, I've already learned after one season. My lesson - plant less parsley (or rather, thin the seedlings better); plant more basil (I don't know what my issue is with basil - it never grows as well for me as it does for others); move herbs back into pots (probably in Mel's Mix) to make room for more veggies in the SFG.

I'm liking all this talk about lettuce since I'm going to try some out for the fall. I may take some of the suggestions in this thread into account and see what happens!
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down