Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The story of a girl and her box Toplef10The story of a girl and her box 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The story of a girl and her box I22gcj10The story of a girl and her box 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The story of a girl and her box Toplef10The story of a girl and her box 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The story of a girl and her box I22gcj10The story of a girl and her box 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The story of a girl and her box

+19
cienfuegos
kjenkins82
Miss M
buttaflie143
dizzygardener
walshevak
sil_simi
pelujilla
FarmerValerie
Goosegirl
tkdtara84
BackyardBirdGardner
Old Hippie
quiltbea
Furbalsmom
Jay Bird
Lavender Debs
Glendale-gardener
jazzymaddy
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The story of a girl and her box Empty The story of a girl and her box

Post  jazzymaddy 3/25/2011, 1:32 pm

Hi everyone. I've been around here on the forum for a couple of weeks now, but I finally have some pictures to show (thanks in great part to your help/advice/wisdom...).

This may sound familiar to many of you, but this story begins once upon a time with researching, searching, planning, buying, searching, researching again, returning, buying, reading, asking, and more (re)searching. Chapter two finds us in the garage while the children either nap or ride bikes on the driveway. Borrowed drill bits and a carpenter's square, the wrong pants for such work, and arm muscles unused to such strenuous drilling/screw-driving are our brave heroine's companions for the afternoon. A box almost finished surprises the herione's hero after work. He is super impressed, and allows Mrs. H(eroine) to complain all she wants to about her tingling arms and wrists that will soon turn into aches.

The story of a girl and her box P1010513

Mr. H(ero) takes a closer look in the morning, and suggests that some improvements could be made if done a slightly different way before the project is finished. Mrs. H, having thought the same thing, and intending to do it herself later on, decides that two heads are better than one, and one set of muscles that are much stronger and not currently noodly, are better than, well, what she has. So ALL screws are removed, and Mrs. H is glad to hold pieces steady while the much stronger Mr. H tightens and squares and makes the bed match the picture in her head. Yay teamwork!

The story of a girl and her box P1010512

Chapter 3 sees Mrs. H getting dark circles under her eyes from her forum time, craigslist time, book reading time; and growing a steering wheel out of her hands from the trips back and forth, and back and forth, and back and forth as purchases are made and reconsidered, and different purchases are made... At the end of the chapter is where we find ourselves now, with a pile of MM ingredients and a stained bed (just the outside) that Mrs. H finds so intoxicatingly gorgeous that if she weren't so madly in love with Mr. H, she might consider asking out on a date.

The story of a girl and her box P1010611

Stay tuned for chapter 4: the mixing of the mix.
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

The story of a girl and her box Empty I love it!

Post  Glendale-gardener 3/25/2011, 1:38 pm

fantastic! I hear you on the forum/book/craigslist/research time! I've done little else for months! Your box is beautiful btw!!
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

The story of a girl and her box Empty Re: The story of a girl and her box

Post  Lavender Debs 3/25/2011, 1:42 pm

Wow! Beautiful box. I have bedroom furniture that isn't that pretty!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Bird 3/25/2011, 1:53 pm

I hope my wife never see's those kinda boxes!
Jay Bird
Jay Bird

Male Posts : 228

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/25/2011, 4:46 pm

What a wonderful box.

The girl in this story is pretty lucky that not only did she have the guts to start this project on her own, but when she had concerns about the results, Mr. Hero stepped in and helped her out. That is what Heros are for.

Looking forward to the next chapter of this story.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/25/2011, 7:58 pm

What great teamwork.
And what a lovely box. Almost too pretty to put outside in the elements.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 3/25/2011, 9:15 pm

Wow! What a lovely box and a great story! I can hardly wait for the next instalment!! I will be sure and tune in again to find out what happens. Will Mr H rescue her again from some perilous undertaking? Will she give in to her heart and ask the box out on a date?

Love your writing.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 3/26/2011, 7:59 am

Thanks for your comments everyone. Today is Mixing Day! Bring it on!
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 3/26/2011, 10:56 am

Chapter 4 is on hold due to rain. Mad Forecast calls for 3 days of it. Mrs. H will do her best to live through the frustration and disappointment. At least she can do more reading, shopping, returning, researching, posting, (obsessing?) in the meantime...
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 4/2/2011, 9:27 pm

So, chapter 4 was supposed to be "Mixing the Mix". Well, last week brought torrents of rain to the Hero's. I guess we'll go for an epilogue to chapter 3 then. Rain dampens not only the soil, but the spirits of Mrs. H. Lowes and Home Depot try to provide some retail therapy, but Mrs. H feels as if she is spinning her wheels (especially with all the driving to the aformentioned therapists...). Seeds and seedlings are purchased, and Mrs. H does her very best to overcome her bad track record with house plants, and tends to the sweet baby plants whose care she has been entrusted with.

Read, read, drive, buy, ask, return... more of the same. Mrs. H painstakingly figures out how to build her covered wagon that will double as a frame for deer netting. She also lines the bottom of the garage-dwelling box with hardware cloth for the burrowers she's never met in her yard, but she wants to be prepared in case they decide to drop by for a nibble in the same way the mosquitoes do every time Mrs. H even thinks of going outside. Many scrapes, and seemingly thousands of staples later, the bed is lined and ready for the great out of doors.

The story of a girl and her box P1010615

Today dawns earlier than the H's, but not by much. (Kids'll do that to you...) Our hero and heroine carry the box back to its new home, only to discover that it's way too slope-y. Didn't look that bad yesterday. Plan B turns out to be only slightly less sloped, but it's all they have left. And the best way the frustrated couple can figure to level the bed is to dig it out, place the bed and level, then fill in the gaps. BUT, there is the pesky problem of the wonderful critter lining. Well, the garden bed now covers the final resting place of many, many staples. Fortunately, cedar is a very soft wood, and the lining just pops off without much effort. And at that point, our courageous (yet slightly grumpy) couple throw in the towel for the day.

The story of a girl and her box P1010614

So, our Heroes live to complete their project another day. Maybe one day, there will be a chapter 4.
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/2/2011, 9:51 pm

My dear Lord I am riveted!! Such a creative post. Well done.

You get a couple smileys up... Cool Cool
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 4/2/2011, 9:55 pm

Aww shucks. Thanks.
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  tkdtara84 4/2/2011, 11:08 pm

WOW! That is absolutely gorgeous. I have box envy. I showed it to my husband, and if/when our boxes need replacing, I have him talked into that one! Did you design it yourself, or did you see a picture somewhere? It's beautiful. Are you filling it full of MM or are you not filling it all the way to the top?
tkdtara84
tkdtara84

Female Posts : 68

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/3/2011, 8:01 am

tkdtara84 wrote:I have box envy.

SERIOUS BOX ENVY!!!The story of a girl and her box 410210

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/3/2011, 8:39 am

I read somewhere, probably here, that God made rainy days so gardeners could do their inside chores. Oh the torture of laundry, I think I need a flower bed out back by my clothes line.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pelujilla 4/3/2011, 8:54 am

Does this story continue?

Girl you are a creative writing genius! I too have box envy...are the pvc's for watering? Do they have holes on the sides?
pelujilla
pelujilla

Back to top Go down

Post  sil_simi 4/3/2011, 8:59 am

A very interesting idea! And nice photos!
sil_simi
sil_simi

Male Posts : 20

http://www.eurotrip.ro

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 4/3/2011, 10:11 am

Wow. Feelin' the love. Thanks for your comments everybody. So, to answer some of your questions: I wish I were clever enough to create the box myself, but I did find the plan (which I modified a bit) here: http://www.lowes.com/cd_Easy+Growing+span+classsearchtermRaisedendecaterm+Garden+endecatermBedsspan_1266865707_

I loved that it has a seat. I decided on the plan, and had it all built before I received my copy of the book (I'd read it from the library before, and was going from memory), and made it 14" high. I'm happy with the height for sitting purposes, but know that it means I will use more MM. I was going to fill the bottom half with sand, but I already had purchased the ingredients, and I'm not driving around creation to return half of it... So it will be filled with 12" of MM, and I'll plant all the root veggies I want! Smile Yesterday was a bit breezy, so we opted to do the mixing another day. Plus, I have to reaffix the liner, and I didn't have the mental capacity for it yesterday. (That's what you see so unceramoniously heaped in the bed.)

The PVC on the sides is just the "homes" for the hoops. They're 1" pipes, and my 1/2" pipes will fit down into them with a 1" to 1/2" adapter. When the hoops are not in use, I will keep the "homes" covered with caps to keep them clean. I painted the 1/2" pipes black so make them blend in a little more, thereby hopefully avoiding the HOA monster.

And finally, I did get some laundry done on that rainy Saturday. But I was pretty grumpy about it. Why has this project tied up my emotions so much?
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/3/2011, 10:30 am

Just a thought, go ahead and look around the forum for filler ideas, some can be found for free, you just go get them, and save the MM for the box you will want to add next year. Chew on that thought while the weather dries out, I'd hate to see you say next year, "I should have hung on to the MM"....
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/3/2011, 11:34 am

Definately consider fillers and saving the MM. By late summer, you may be ready another box and a fall/winter garden. This sfg is addictive.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/4/2011, 10:09 am

WOW! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Can you and hubby come make my boxes?! Yours look SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than mine! LOL

Sounds like you have definitely hit the ground running. By the way, please do keep those stories coming. You are a fantastic writer. I can't wait for part 4! But, +1 on adding some sort of filler. 14 inches of MM can get real expensive real fast. Besides the whole idea of SFG is that you can grow most every thing you want in 6 inches of soil. One thing I'd definitely do is leave part of the box deep for my carrots and such.

I'm following this thread and looking forward to the rest of the story!
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 4/16/2011, 10:34 pm

At LONG last, chapter 4, "The Mixing of the Mix."

This long-awaited day finds Mrs. H unexpectedly unprepared. The weather for the coming weekend is forecast to take a turn for the worse, so Mrs. H ends up mixing the goods on Friday, right after her much-needed massage, while Mr. H is out of town.

The story of a girl and her box P1010612

Grumbling about the counter-productive nature of this endeavor, she begins dumping bucket after bucket of poop on a tarp, only to discover one batch of poop has little friends in it.

The story of a girl and her box P1010616

She names one captured friend Alfonso, until discovering he's no friend. She quickly un-names him, and after discovering about 2 dozen more of his friends, considers renaming him something her momma didn't raise her to say.

She decides to test-drive the mix before discarding it, and her sweet broccoli babies are nominated for the job.

The story of a girl and her box P1010614

In chapter 5, "The Planting of the Plants", our broccoli heroes put up a good fight, and earn a new home for themselves and many new little friends to come.

The story of a girl and her box P1010615

The story of a girl and her box P1010710

The story of a girl and her box P1010712

And momma's not letting these munchkins sit out there un(over)protected.

The story of a girl and her box P1010713

The story of a girl and her box P1010714

The weather ends up not turning as bad as expected, but now Mrs. H knows how to cover those babies. In fact, she now knows a lot of things:

1. She has no problem talking to plants.
  2. She will stay up unreasonably late to make sure a hastily thrown together tarp cover stands up to wind.
  3. Dirt under her fingernails doesn't bother her like it used to.
  4. Her gardening gloves make her feel like a Super Hero, enabling her to touch and even squish heretofore "icky" bugs.
  5. Frustrations and annoyances along the way get swept away pretty quickly when things start to grow.
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 4/16/2011, 11:30 pm

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto to everything everyone else has said. And I love it, I love it, I love it to your final revelation. This is the stuff "gardeners" are made of. The story of a girl and her box 657780
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 4/17/2011, 12:46 am

You are really good at writing! Very Happy

And I I love you your box. If you don't take it out on a date, I just might.
Miss M

http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kjenkins82 4/17/2011, 12:54 am

Keep it coming! I've so enjoyed reading about your adventures in gardening.

+1 on the gloves. I am much, much braver when I have them on.
kjenkins82

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next