Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Watering from rain barrels Toplef10Watering from rain barrels 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Watering from rain barrels I22gcj10Watering from rain barrels 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Watering from rain barrels Toplef10Watering from rain barrels 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Watering from rain barrels I22gcj10Watering from rain barrels 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Watering from rain barrels

+18
boffer
happycamper
Blackrose
ribarr4
ashort
FarmerValerie
Goosegirl
Old Hippie
westie42
Dunkinjean
Furbalsmom
sistabelle
madnicmom
CindiLou
florenceq
nancy
barmstr
Glendale-gardener
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Watering from rain barrels Empty Watering from rain barrels

Post  Glendale-gardener 3/22/2011, 9:24 pm

I was just wondering if anyone else uses rain barrels. Of course, using rain barrels works just fine for the Mel method of dippering the water under each plant, but from reading this forum, I'm guessing very few people do that! I'm starting out with only 3 beds at 3'x6' each and I have a lot of pots and large containers for the more bushy plants I don't want to waste bed space with. So with this amount of bed space, I figure I can handle the watering by hand this year but I would love to figure out a way to use drip irrgation from my rain barrel. I found some website that sells irrigation supplies that sells a kit for "low-flow" situations but I didn't want to spend the $ on it not knowing how well it performed. I guess I could also look more closely at a pump for it but I'd have to get my engineer husband and some of his frinds to figure out how to make it kick on at the same time as a hose timer to water stuff, then turn off when it's supposed to. It's all very confusing!
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Watering from rain barrels Empty Timers

Post  barmstr 3/22/2011, 9:28 pm

Have a timer for the pump only if it is just watering the beds. No need for a hose timer. Post some pictures of your setup. Sounds great.
Bruce Watering from rain barrels 601593
barmstr
barmstr

Male Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Watering from rain barrels Empty Re: Watering from rain barrels

Post  Glendale-gardener 3/22/2011, 10:49 pm

If I have a hose coming out of the rain barrel, wouldn't the water just run out if it wasn't timed to open the hose? :scratch:
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 3/23/2011, 10:17 am

You are going to think I'm crazy (and you may very well be right). I have one 55-gal. rain barrel on my back porch. My garden is a mile away at the community garden. So I fill 6-7 milk jugs every evening and put them in the car. On my way home from work I stop at the garden and water. Then repeat for the next day. I don't use the faucet on the barrel, I just reach right in and fill the jugs. It's a lot of work but there is no water source down there. Well, there is a creek, but getting to it involves a steep hill and I'm just not graceful enough and it's on the far other side of the garden. My goal for this year was to get one or two more barrels to keep at the garden. They won't have a gutter to fill them, but with no lid I think they would fill fine. Many other gardeners do this down there. I found mine through craigslist 2 years ago and ended up buying it from a lady in Colerain Township for $45. I had a few mishaps last year - when the car got really hot, the lids wouldn't stay tight. I had a wet trunk several times. I think I needed to replace the jugs on a regular basis. And I run out of water after 10 days. Another good reason for more! When I think of all the water I could have collected so far this year, it makes me want to cry! But I love not paying GCWW for the water!
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  florenceq 3/23/2011, 11:10 am

nancy wrote:snip.....You are going to think I'm crazy (and you may very well be right). I have one 55-gal. rain barrel on my back porch. My garden is a mile away at the community garden. So I fill 6-7 milk jugs every evening and put them in the car.

Nancy,
Your post reminded me of my great grandma and aunt. Every year my mom would send us to South Texas to stay with them for the summer (free daycare for a single mom). When it rained we would put out 5 - 6 empty trash cans all around the yard to collect rains for watering plants. When the rain stopped or the cans were full, it was our job (my sister and I) to dip old milk jugs in and fill them up. We would race to see who could fill the most! Ah......the simple days!
florenceq
florenceq

Female Posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 3/23/2011, 11:25 am

I have three rain barrels for my watering needs. My hubby sacrificed his wooden wine barrels for them after he found out how potent his rhubarb wine was lol! Two come off downspouts of the house. These I use for my herb bed and will use for my 2 2x4 salad beds and many many potted plants. My hubby also uses them for his plants in the garden railroad. The third barrel he set up from the downspout on the large shed by my veggie garden. This is for 3 4x4 beds and several potted veggies. I use 5-gal buckets for tomatoes, luffa, zucchini, and squash. This year I am going to grow the luffa and zucchini on an old swing frame. Hubby does not want them on his buildings rofl...

I do the bucket/dipper method. This is easy to do and helps me keep better track of what the garden is up to!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 3/23/2011, 11:38 am

I guess I'm Mrs. El Cheapo. LOL!! I literally cut the downspout off the back downspout and have a 32 gal trashcan collecting my water. Yeah, when its full it runs over. I'm ok with that for now. Next year will be the year to officially get rain barrels but until then I don't have to pay City of Trenton for water on my garden. I also picked up a sump pump at Menards to pump the water out for me. LOL. I hand watered last year from the trashcan and it's too time consuming with 3 kids, work and now a dog to take care off.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 3/23/2011, 3:25 pm

Great to hear there are some rain collectors! I'm thinking of expanding and getting a couple more now that I'll be using more water for gardening. It seems silly to pay the City of Glendale for water used outside when so much is delivered for free! I could put one near my compost bin and another hidden behind some front bushes. That one would also solve a water problem because that is the only downspout that doesn't go to an underground thing to get the water away from the house. It just dumps the water 2 feet from the house, not good. I guess this year I'll see how it goes with buckets dipped in. I'm just concerned about watering if we are away for a few days. Luckily, we don't have any trips planned this year for the dry period of hot summer, no where at all until September. How long can you be away in that weather without watering?
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Back to top Go down

Watering from rain barrels Empty rain barrels

Post  sistabelle 3/23/2011, 6:25 pm

WE've been using rain barrels for several years. You can determine the flow of your water by how high you put it. If it is ground level the water will come out very slowly. If you want any water pressure you need to raise the barrel by putting bricks or cinder blocks under it. You can also determine the flow by raising or lowering the hose. Or, as someone else stated, you can just fill up watering cans. Hooking up a dripper hose along the rows and letting gravity do it's thing is also so low tech! THe flow would be determined by the height of the barrel.
sistabelle
sistabelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/23/2011, 6:34 pm

Watering from rain barrels 654548 SistaBelle Watering from rain barrels 654548

Very glad to "meet" you and so glad you found us.

In another post you stated you have garden for some time. Are you currently using the Square Foot Gardening Method? We find it to be very user friendly.

Please let us know how your garden is progressing, and just so you know, we I love you photos.

Again, Welcome!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  sistabelle 3/23/2011, 6:41 pm

YEs, this will be my first year using the SFG method. I've used raised beds before but not with Mel's mix or the a barrier on the bottom. I'm hoping for a bumper crop and to never turn back!
thanks! Laughing
sistabelle
sistabelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/23/2011, 7:26 pm

SistaBelle wrote:I'm hoping for a bumper crop and to never turn back!

I like your attitude!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 3/23/2011, 9:17 pm

I have been wanting to get a rain barrel for the past year. I even put it on my Christmas list! LOL Very Happy

My husband thinks I am crazy, but I feel there is so much water waste if we don't use one.

We also pay for our water so that is another reason to get a rain barrel for my garden.

Has anyone found a rain barrel that was a reasonable cost?

Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 3/23/2011, 9:29 pm

if you have Craigslist in your city, check there first. i got mine through a guy I found on there for $12 each. There is also a winery in my city that sells off their used plastic drums for $10 a piece so you might try calling wineries, or any other place that would require large quantities of fruit, like pickle plants, factories of pie filling, etc..

just make sure the drums were previously used for food or soap only. some were filled with oil or even chemicals
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 3/23/2011, 9:55 pm

Thank you Glendale-gardener!

I will check craigslist and call some wineries!! Laughing

Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 3/23/2011, 10:33 pm

You can't see much of the barrel under the cover Watering from rain barrels 889526 but you can see the bricks hubby raised it up on. Each of my three barrels are raised this way.

The ice was how our weather was in December 2009! Gotta love winter.

Watering from rain barrels FrostyDec10icicle

Last edited by CindiLou on 3/23/2011, 10:35 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : forgot the darn picture rofl...)
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Watering from rain barrels Empty Rain Water

Post  westie42 3/23/2011, 11:05 pm

This is my first year doing SFG but have gardened for 40+ years. At 70 it is time to cut back the big garden space and try to simplify wherever possible. I plan on three 55 gal barrels on my long back roof and two on the front roof it will be about 60 feet to the garden so may bury PEX lines out there to a hydrant and blow them dry in the fall with my air compressor. Not sure yet about a pump or using drip lines. On YOUTUBE there are numerous good videos about hooking up multiple barrels to fill from a single down spout or whatever and how to make roof debris traps as well as making overflow arrangements. They are worth looking up as are also many SFG videos. Sewer charges in most places are based on water consumption and are actually higher per gallon than the water is so it always feels good to deny any utility a chance to billin me.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 3/23/2011, 11:17 pm

I use rain barrels too. We started off with two 45-gal barrels but doubled that last year and hope to add more this year. They are plastic barrels that had laundry soap in them at the hospital. We rescued them from going to the landfill. A local hobby brew place sells food grade ones for $25.00 each. If I was into paying for them I would get them there.

I water by hand with a watering can from my barrels. We put a tap in the bottom of each one. One of them we have a soaker hose connected to and it is dedicated to watering the cedar hedge. I have another one out front so it is handy for the tomato planter and front flower beds. The other double barrels are beside the garden. This summer we want to add some to the garage. It seems such a shame to let all that water just go down the storm drain. I don't pay for water yet, but it is something our city is talking about.

The warm, non-chlorinated water is so much better for the plants. All last summer, rain water was all I used. Rain barrels....I love them.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Watering from rain barrels Empty RE: Watering from rain barrels

Post  Goosegirl 3/24/2011, 7:43 am

For the last two years I used a rain barrel for some of my watering, until the barrel died. It was actually just an extra 30 gallon trash can that I conveniently located under the gutter where the seam sealant had failed and it always POURED a steady stream of water straight down onto our back patio. Used the 'dip & dump' method and it supplied water for a good portion of my garden. This year I want to put a few barrels behind our storage shed and attach rain chains to fill them.

I was also toying with adding some extra PVC pipes and a valve onto our plumbing system to make a mini graywater system from the shower to the garden, but I have since read that graywater should not be used on vegetables so I have shelved the idea for now - but I have to say that for much of the last 2 seasons I did the 'dip & dump' from bathwater to tomatoes with no ill effects, and I had absolutely NO insect problems with my 'maters!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/24/2011, 8:48 am

I think those who say don't use graywater say so becaue of the soaps and chemicals in our cleaners. My husband and I have considered soing something similar to what the 3 tank septic systems with a sprinkler on the end to. 3 burried tanks (or 55 gallon drums) connected so that any heavy particles fall to the bottom of the first and second tank. They have tested the water that comes out of the sprinkler on those septic systems, the water that comes out is as cleans as or in some cases cleaner then, the water that comes from the tap. Generations have used bath and dish water to water their food and survivied. One concern I have is one of my home made cleaners (kinda like a comet cleaner) contains salt, that would be a problem with veggies, so we may install a filter. Switching to more natural products may be something to consider. Also keep in mind some of those who tell you not to use graywater also tell you chemicals in and on your food is fine.

I have read that if you have shingles on your roof you should not collect water for food, there is asphalt in those shingles.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 3/24/2011, 9:53 am

That is basically what I figured. I use homemade cleaners almost exclusively, and none of them contain anything that wouldn't be found in shower, bath, or dish water.

As far as asphalt, the water from my house roof and the roof of my shed all basically drain into or thru the garden area anyway, so I am already asphalt paved! I may just go ahead with the gray water piping later on this spring 9or next year - that may be a bit more than Hubby can wrap his mind around this year! I am starting to understand how Mom always felt when Dad would come home from the lumber yard. He gets that same glazed look when I come home with assorted building paraphernalia!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/24/2011, 10:02 am

Just a word of caution, check into zoning laws if you are inside city limits, my husband told me that even where we are in the country using graywater was one of those things that they don't really inforce, but you are not supposed to use it for food, even if you don't take them to market, which we do not do, but want to eventually. We have some improvements to make before we do that, the health department comes out, inspects your place, and says yes you can sell eggs and go to market to sell produce. I'm thinking just using word of mouth and letting the neighbors that don't grow their own stop buy and get what they want.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 3/24/2011, 10:10 am

I haven't heard any concern from anyone about chemicals coming from their composition asphalt shingles... Is this a real concern or just balderdash?
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/24/2011, 10:16 am

It's more of a concern that is worth looking into. Little pieces of the shingles break off and get in the water. It is supposed to be fine for watering your lawn, but not a great idea for your food, which is why we are looking into a filter for it, we live in a mobile home, but it has a shingle roof. Most of us here use untreated lumber (I'm not yet in that group, using what we had, landscape timbers) so it makes sense to look into pouring water that may have asphalt in it, into our garden. I'm not saying don't do it, or stop if you are doing it, just saying you may want to look into it a bit more.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  ribarr4 3/24/2011, 10:59 am

You know quite a while back I tried to find info. about any ill-effects of shingle water, but could never find anything that convinced me either way. We used it for 10 years and when we had kids they took over the "water tower" that I had built to collect rain water off of the roof to use as a fort. Now they are older and never use it so today I am hoisting a 275 gallon tank back up there and reclaim it. We have used city water for the last 8 years and when we water with city water we get marginal growth, but the day after a good rain the plants really respond and pop right up.
ribarr4
ribarr4

Male Posts : 117

http://www.green-cityzen.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next