Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG Project in Walton, KY! Toplef10SFG Project in Walton, KY! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG Project in Walton, KY! I22gcj10SFG Project in Walton, KY! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG Project in Walton, KY! Toplef10SFG Project in Walton, KY! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG Project in Walton, KY! I22gcj10SFG Project in Walton, KY! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG Project in Walton, KY!

+2
nancy
yosoypanadero
6 posters

Go down

SFG Project in Walton, KY! Empty SFG Project in Walton, KY!

Post  yosoypanadero 3/22/2011, 1:36 pm

Hello fellow square foot gardeners! I started out gardening two years (this being the third year of our "project") ago and it was 100% inspired by Mel and his SFG methods. My buddy downloaded a 30 minute video that Mel and his wife put together (which I now seed via bittorrent) explaining the whole process, and subsequently we bought his book, which has become my bible, and we have never looked back. Gardening is becoming my lifes work; I feel connected to the earth and this whole life process more than I ever have in my existence, thank you Mel and thank you seed banks.

Our first SFG was built on a high deck in the city, and quickly became two 4x4 gardens with containers all around. I had never really built anything in my life, but with the easy plans in the book and a new set of tools I got from my brother-in-law for Christmas, we took the plunge and it turned out great! For any of you who are doubtful of your skills, I am living proof that if you just go to the hardware store with a list, get it all organized and take your time, you too can build a SFG and grow anything you want!

The thing about SFG is that you never stop learning new methods and techniques adaptable to your own particular skill sets and your own micro climate. You can learn something new every day if you keep looking, learning, experimenting and brainstorming with others who come along with you.

We are now a group of four, and live in Walton, KY, on a lake from which we enjoy an unlimited water supply (but that is not stopping us from building our first rain barrels this week). We have gone another step had extra land partitioned to us by the lake council to start a community garden near the entrance! This spring we have taken the task of building our first greenhouse and it is almost complete! Can you believe it?! This is our third year and we are building our own greenhouse out of nothing but scrap wood, plastic, pvc and alot of cooperation and hard work! The structure is surrounded by 10 boxes at the moment as well. It is the best feeling in the world knowing that I have 600 seedlings in my closet that will all have a place to live this summer! I am telling you, the inspiration you can get from connecting to the earth, raising plants, learning new techniques and working in harmony is something that has never been present in my life like this before.

I will be starting a website in the next couple of months that will be dedicated to nothing but this community garden and our DIY efforts to live more sustainably. I won't plug it here yet because the FARM is not even named yet, but those of you that are interested will surely find a way to see it. Rest assured, we have a stockpile of pictures that I am very excited to show off to inspire anyone and everyone!

I still am amazed that all of this started only two years ago, and now, well, its all being taken to the next level, and I thank Mel, my friends, and the earth, for all of it.
yosoypanadero
yosoypanadero

Male Posts : 105

Back to top Go down

SFG Project in Walton, KY! Empty Re: SFG Project in Walton, KY!

Post  nancy 3/22/2011, 3:02 pm

Kudos! Can't wait to see pictures and to read your stories!
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 3/22/2011, 3:42 pm

Nice! Please let us know when the blog gets up and running. Also , put the blog in your siggy.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/22/2011, 6:18 pm

SFG Project in Walton, KY! 654548 YoSoyPanadero

What a great project you are involved in. Community gardens are a great way to build relationships with neighbors and provide good healthy food for everyone who participates. A greenhouse is a great addition to your garden.

You mentioned 600 plants and 10 boxes. What size are your boxes and what type of veggies are you growing?

Enjoy your project and keep us updated.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

SFG Project in Walton, KY! Empty Thanks

Post  yosoypanadero 3/23/2011, 11:18 am

Thanks to all who replied.... as far as the 600 seedlings go, well there is not enough room for all of them yet.... most of my boxes are just 8x4 but the greenhouse is 20x10 with 4 compost bins in each corner for warmth. I will end up giving away seedlings too as I am starting a wave every 4 weeks with the moon cycle....

but I do have a question on the moon cycle planting process - is it better to plant 2 days before the new moon or on a full moon? I have read different theories that contradict each other - anyone have any ideas??
yosoypanadero
yosoypanadero

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 3/23/2011, 11:29 am

Well, I learn something everyday on this forum! I just googled moon cycles and read that gardeners plant from the new moon to the full moon. I take that to not plant anything on the full moon night.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/23/2011, 11:36 am

SFG Project in Walton, KY! 396615 And cannot wait for more!!!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

SFG Project in Walton, KY! Empty Moon Planting

Post  yosoypanadero 3/23/2011, 11:38 am

Well I have read that it is best to transplant on a full moon but I am not sure about planting seeds on either, which is better.... I have read that planting before the new moon is good because there is less gravitational pull on the earth at this time and the roots will be able to grow towards the earth's center of gravity easier.... as the moon rises the gravitational pull from the moon becomes greater and will encourage leaf growth; the plant will then stay on the moon cycle its whole life thus making it a perfect moon plant cycle; the other school says that planting on the full moon is better because the moon gravitational pull is greater thus pulling up the earths watershed up 6-12 inches and making it easier for plants to have access to water.... I have no idea so I am planting in 2 week cycles to see which works better but I have not kept good notes because I am so busy building and making sure that everything goes well for spring; too much to do and too much info for me to keep it all straight!
yosoypanadero
yosoypanadero

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/23/2011, 11:52 am

I just go here http://www.farmersalmanac.com/calendar/ its a great list of what to do on what days, like chop firewood, turn soil, and plant/not plant. It also gives me a heads up on what to watch for on the weather, not always right, but better safe than sorry. People like me sometimes need a list of what to do, I get easily distracted as I suffer from but-first syndrome.

"I call it "But-First" Syndrome. YOU know. It's when you decide to do the laundry. So you start down the stairs with the laundry but then see the newspapers on the table. OK, you'll do the laundry.
BUT FIRST you decide to put the papers away. So on your way in to put the papers away, you notice the mail on the table. OK, you'll put the papers away.
BUT FIRST you'll pay that bill that needs to be paid. So you look for the checkbook. Ooops...there's the baby's bottle from yesterday on the floor. OK, you'll pay the bill.
BUT FIRST you need to put the bottle in the sink. You head for the kitchen. Darn it, there's the remote for the TV. What's it doing here? OK, you'll put the bottle in the sink.
BUT FIRST you need to put the remote away. Head for the TV room. Aaagh! Stepped on the cat. Cat needs to be fed. OK, you'll put the remote away.
BUT FIRST you need to feed the cat...
So, do I need to describe what happens at the end of the day? (Hint: Laundry not done, papers on the floor, bottle on the table, bills unpaid, checkbook still lost, cat ate the remote control...)
Perhaps someone enters about this time and asks: What did you do today? And, when you try to figure out how come nothing got done all day, you are baffled...you KNOW you were BUSY ALL DAY!!
That's "BUT-FIRST" Syndrome."

Please tell me I am not alone!!!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/23/2011, 9:25 pm

Welcome aboard. So glad to see I'm not the only one that gets detailed in his posts. I love it!!

We would love to see some pictures, too, when you get the chance. Hope to see more of you around here.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down