Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Compost bins:  Open vs. closed Toplef10Compost bins:  Open vs. closed 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Compost bins:  Open vs. closed I22gcj10Compost bins:  Open vs. closed 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Compost bins:  Open vs. closed Toplef10Compost bins:  Open vs. closed 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Compost bins:  Open vs. closed I22gcj10Compost bins:  Open vs. closed 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Compost bins: Open vs. closed

+9
dtilt1
Nonna.PapaVino
herbarium
Old Hippie
Blackrose
camprn
Lavender Debs
BackyardBirdGardner
Megan
13 posters

Go down

Compost bins:  Open vs. closed Empty Compost bins: Open vs. closed

Post  Megan 3/20/2011, 6:47 am

I currently have a closed-bin composter. It's heavy-duty plastic, roughly 3 feet wide and not quite waist high, with removable lid. It works fine as long as it's hydrated.

I would like to change over to a larger, open-bin system, double-pallet wide. That area backs onto privacy fence, so I'd need to line the back pallet, at least, with a few layers of cardboard to keep the compost off the fence.

I don't THINK my HOA will have a hissy (knock on wood!!!) over an open compost bin in an enclosed area so long as it doesn't reek, and there is no reason it should reek. The area will not be visible from the common area, and it's directly adjacent to our neighbor's deck so they won't see it. (The deck is about 14 feet up and they'd have to lean all the way over, nearly falling off, and crane their necks to catch a glimpse. Plus, they really don't use the deck.) The other neighbor doesn't have a deck.

My real concern, though, is rats. There is a rat problem in this area. Am I begging trouble by moving to an open bin system? Should I keep the closed composter for the "fresh" stuff, and use a smaller open bin for the more finished material? When I was growing up, a compost pile was a compost pile and that was how it was... but I can see where the HOA might get after me regarding attracting rats. I do plan on planting lots of catnip everywhere. Not only will it bring in the feral cats in the area, but apparently rats don't like it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Someone is interested in buying our bin composter, so this affects not just me but them also.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Compost bins:  Open vs. closed Empty Re: Compost bins: Open vs. closed

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/20/2011, 9:16 am

I see your dilema and wish I had more to offer. My dog, yesterday, ate 2 ziploc baggies full of potatoes I had put out to compost. So, I can only imagine if you build it....they will come. But, I really like your idea of catnip. Seems a double-whammy, though, in attracting cats to rats.

I can see a more persnickity HOA having a problem with your compost, but how do they know? Doesn't it take someone to "rat" you out? And, if you are friendly with your neighbors, possibly sharing your bountiful harvest, that could take a very long time, if ever.

I would be interested in anything you find, as I have an open compost pile, myself.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/20/2011, 9:30 am

Sorry to hear about your potatoes!

It would take someone ratting me out, or an HOA person looking over the top of our 6 foot privacy fence. Which I wouldn't put past them....but a) I could then make a case for breach of privacy, and b) I want to make a tall "side" to the bin closer to the back property line which would hopefully block most of the view. And/or do something semi-decorative there. Maybe even give it a "roof" that is water permeable.

P.S. An interesting note: Apparently valerian ATTRACTS rats. (So that idea for a cat attractor and kitty-toy went out the window quickly.)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/20/2011, 9:43 am

I've always had open compost in the mountains. But it was kept in a wire cylinder that was turned weekly in summer. It did "reek" occasionally, at least I occasionally gagged while turning the pile. We did keep chickens and rabbits and their litter and poo went into the bins. But I personally think that it was wet lawn clippings that made the stink because it only smelled bad in the spring when the lawn grew fast. Since I turned it all the time rats were not a problem (than again, we were far enough away from the river that we didn't have rats. The hens HATED any kind of rodent, lots of red squirrels; I think they thought they were getting even with the raccoons by attacking other pests)

Since moving to town I have had a closed plastic bin and it is so much less work. We saw rats fairly often in town (no wild cats because of leash laws). I now have one open compost that I do not turn as often as I should (arthritis) but I don't see the rats anymore because 1. I took down the bird feeders and 2. We have two terriers.

Mel says to always dry grass before putting it into your bin. I am sure that would help, but I don't mow the lawn around here. The guys collect it in a mower bag and empty the bag right into the open bin. As long as I don't turn it very often it doesn't smell bad, but give it a turn and p-u. The stink goes away after a couple of hours.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/20/2011, 9:50 am

Well, the good part about putting the garden in the front yard last year is that there is very little grass left to mow, so I doubt any clippings will make it to the backyard! It will be mostly leaves, garden waste, and kitchen waste. All our pets are carnivores so can't use anything from them. When I lived in California I built an open bin using chicken wire and that worked out really well. I'd prefer to have the front be open, for better access, but I guess it would be neater looking if I did string something across the front. Hm.

Good point about the bird feeder, too... I was thinking of putting one back up.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/20/2011, 9:58 am

I MISS the birds but not the rats.

Maybe you could make a removable wire door that latches on (and off) with hooks and eyes (no hinges)?
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/20/2011, 10:01 am

Megan, what about round wire cages?
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 3/20/2011, 6:49 pm

I was going through old threads looking for information on strawberries and came across the thread where Theresa posted pictures of her Strawberry Tree. She posted a link to the plans and while looking at the list of plans on that page, I came across these plans for a garden screen. Something like this may help you hide an open compost bin and you can put flower pots on the shelves to make it look pretty. flower

http://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/outdoor/installation/build-a-garden-screen/
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/20/2011, 6:59 pm

Oooh, that's very nice, BlackRose, thank you!!! I love you

I was toying with the idea of trying to make chicken wire or hardware cloth panels and thread them through with colored venetian blind slats or something similar. Your idea is much nicer. I may not get there this year, but I will show hubby and see what he thinks. (I am so psyched... I spent hours in the backyard today, cleaning up after the tree removal. Hubby went out to buy a replacement light fixture for the backyard, and came home with a bird feeder and other goodies. Yay, buy-in to project!!!!)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 3/20/2011, 7:03 pm

There was also another idea where they used lattice and stapled shade or frost cloth on the back to fill in the holes. Then they put a planter at the bottom to make it look pretty.

I was out in my yard doing some spring cleanup today too. Unfortunately, the TT's are still pretty frozen. I was kind of hoping that I could start planting out some cool weather crops soon.

Yeah for new stuff!! cheers
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 3/21/2011, 12:05 pm

Megain, have you thought of just using the wooden lattice? My compost bin is made of pallets, which didn't look very nice but worked very well. We put some wooden lattice on the outside and I stained it to match the shed doors. It hides the compost very well and gives me place to grow climbing plants. Your squash would love it. LOL! If you made a removable panel to set in front it would be fine. We were going to but didn't bother because the open side faces the garden shed.

As far as smell goes, like Lavender Debs said, the grass is probably the worst. But if you want to get heat in a hurry, it is marvellous. If you just throw it on top and let it dry, it makes a wonderful "blanket" that keeps flies away. We don't have an issue with rats here, but my daughter, who lives in Vancouver, does. They get in ANY kind of compost bin, even the closed ones. What I don't like is the flies but as long as I put the fresh stuff deep in the pile, odour and flies are not a problem.

Best of luck!

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  herbarium 3/21/2011, 1:28 pm

I have a plastic compost bin and also two round wire ones. I put everything in the plastic one and when it needs turned (I don't turn it very often) I turn it into the first wire one. By then there is not really anything to attract rodents. When I need to turn the contents of the plastic one again I turn the compost from the first wire one into the second and the plastic into the first wire one. I would love to have a bin like this eventually.
I have had a rodent problem in the past and as a precaution I put hardware cloth on the ground and put my plastic bin on top. That way they cannot dig into the bin from underneath.
You may also want to sprinkle hot pepper flakes into the bin once in a while.
I now have cats so don't worry about it so much.
herbarium

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 150

http://gardeninspire.com

Back to top Go down

Compost bins:  Open vs. closed Empty Compost, open or bin

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 3/21/2011, 1:44 pm

The Oregonian (Portland,OR) newspaper sometimes features articles by master gardener Vern Nelson. Here's a link to his recent article on an open compost to help amend soil, and result in a "raised bed."
http://blog.oregonlive.com/homesandgardens/2011/03/daily_tip_for_homes_and_garden_6.html Well worth the read.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/21/2011, 7:52 pm

Thanks everyone! I may go with lattice/landscaping fabric route. I like the idea and it sounds cheap and easy (all good things!)

One reason I want to get away from bins and into open-front is that my space is limited. I can do a double-wide bin at most, I think.... and the aisle right there is planned at 3 feet wide before the next adjacent box. This does not give me a lot of room to back up and shovel stuff around.... plus, I think it would be harder on my back to try to dig down into a small bin rather than in from the front. I really need to get some pictures up so you can see what I am talking about.

I am dreaming of some sort of wild contraption involving pvc. Stay tuned. ;-)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Compost bins:  Open vs. closed Empty open compost bin

Post  dtilt1 2/25/2024, 6:56 pm

hello everyone

I have a open compost container. it's enclosed with only chicken wire.  I actually hate it and wish I would have been more mindful of what I wanted.  since it is too late now.  I am having problems getting anything to decompose and create compost. 

my biggest challenge is turning the pile. second is getting enough green materials

any suggestions I can do

is there a thing of putting in too much coffee and eggs shells?  seems to be the most I can get to put in.
dtilt1
dtilt1

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  dtilt1 2/25/2024, 7:02 pm

I have this bin Compost bins:  Open vs. closed Q+4lHNofVmjpgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
I hate it, it's too open

I have a really hard time getting it open and turning the pile

I can't get it to do anything.  Nothing is happening with it at all.

any suggestions?

right now I just want someone to either buy it or just take it from me even though I paid for it to get made
just so frustrated
dtilt1
dtilt1

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 2/26/2024, 7:06 am

I can't tell much about your compost bin from the picture or description, but it would appear that the biggest problem is that it is not big enough. For a compost bin to be effective it must be at least 3'x3'x3' high.  A bin that size or larger can create enough pressure on the contents to effect composting. If you don't have enough material to fill a compost bin that size, you might be better off with a 2-bin compost tumbler.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/26/2024, 10:52 pm

Dtilt,  It is hard to tell with accuracy with the small photo.  Does the front open?  Can you build the front up as you add material?  Is the material moist?  What are the dimensions?

There are many designs for compost bins.  This is what mine looked like from the side.  The front has removeable slats.  I did end up lining the 3 other insides with durable weed fabric to hold in more moisture while still allowing it to breath.  If you feel your bin needs revisions or is too small, you can always modify it to store finished compost while a bigger bin is cooking away with a new batch.  At least is has a lid to keep out critters and that can be covered with a tarp during the rainy season.

Compost bins:  Open vs. closed Compos97

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/27/2024, 9:59 am

Hi dtilt, I have a similar bin, made of wooden slats with a lid.  I cannot turn it.  It was a Mother’s Day gift from my kids.  It does have a pull up door at the bottom to remove the compost, but I have not really used it much.  Last year, I had one of my kids helping me try to turn it, and we stirred up a yellow jacket nest!!!  Not good….

I am contemplating getting a side-by-side 2 bin compost tumbler, like OG suggested.  They look much easier to turn (you literally just turn the bins!), and can have one “getting ready” bin, and the other “newer” bin….
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Compost bins:  Open vs. closed Empty compost bin

Post  donnainzone5 3/2/2024, 4:47 pm

DlT1,

Eggshells take years to break down.  Coffee grounds, as well as their unbleached filters, are also good compost components.  

I have a similar bin that's about 3' x 3'.  It's lightweight enough that I can lift it away to an adjacent space, then fork and turn the contents into the new location.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/4/2024, 7:20 pm

This compost bin is 4'x4'x4'. Last fall it was filled with layers of Starbucks coffee grounds and wheat straw. I started with a base layer of about 3" of straw, followed by a layer of about 3" of coffee grounds and filters, and then another layer of straw. The bin was filled with these alternating layers of coffee grounds and straw, and then left to compost. Over the winter it has composted down to about 1/2 the height it was last fall. Around mid-May this bin will be turned into the middle bay to complete composting, and then this bay will become available for the summer compost collection.

Compost bins:  Open vs. closed Coffee17

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:32 pm

Today I picked up another bunch of coffee grounds from Starbucks, about 140# of them.  So, I put another layer of ground & filters on the top of the compost bin, and then put another layer of wheat straw on top of them. This entire bin of compost is just coffee grounds and straw.

A heavy load of grounds from StarbucksCompost bins:  Open vs. closed Bagged10

The coffee grounds and filters were spread on top of the compost binCompost bins:  Open vs. closed Coffee18

After the grounds were spread out, they were covered with strawCompost bins:  Open vs. closed Straw10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

Yesterday I added another layer of coffee grounds, and then a layer of wheat straw. Today I checked the bin's temperature to see how it is doing. It is cooking along at 120ºF, which is good for a "cold" compost bin which won't be turned for at least 6 months.
Compost bins:  Open vs. closed Compos23

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down