Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
not SFG, different gardening method you may like Toplef10not SFG, different gardening method you may like 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

not SFG, different gardening method you may like I22gcj10not SFG, different gardening method you may like 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
not SFG, different gardening method you may like Toplef10not SFG, different gardening method you may like 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

not SFG, different gardening method you may like I22gcj10not SFG, different gardening method you may like 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 5:02 pm

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Today at 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

not SFG, different gardening method you may like

4 posters

Go down

not SFG, different gardening method you may like Empty not SFG, different gardening method you may like

Post  bpbdrummer 3/20/2010, 7:07 pm

Aquaponics- The cultivation of plants and aquatic animals in a recirculating environment.

Fish waste accumulates in water as a by product of keeping them in a closed system or tank The effluent-rich water becomes high in plant nutrients but this is correspondingly toxic to the aquatic animal.
Plants are grown in a way that enables them to utilize the nutrient-rich water. The
plants take up the nutrients, reducing or eliminating the water's
toxicity for the aquatic animal.

The water, now clean, is returned to the aquatic animal environment
and the cycle continues. Aquaponic systems do not discharge or exchange
water. The systems rely on the relationship between the aquatic animals
and the plants to maintain the environment. Water is only added to
replace water loss from absorption by the plants, evaporation into the
air, or the removal of biomass from the system.
heres a few intro videos, plants grow like crazy in these systems https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baLp1neHomE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur7hUUWmSFY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV9CCxdkOng

and the most popular aquaponics website/forum
http://backyardaquaponics.com/
bpbdrummer

Male Posts : 88

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Back to top Go down

not SFG, different gardening method you may like Empty Re: not SFG, different gardening method you may like

Post  choksaw 3/20/2010, 8:47 pm

i just read an article in my local paper about this 2 weeks ago pretty simplistic method and you get 2 sources of food but the cost has got to be up there
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

not SFG, different gardening method you may like Empty Re: not SFG, different gardening method you may like

Post  timwardell 3/20/2010, 9:53 pm

It makes perfect sense. I've had water gardens for years (mostly goldfish, koi get too big for my taste). Most water gardeners use plants - in the form of a bog - for what we call biological filtration. Fish pee & poop becomes fertilizer for the waterlilies, iris, or other aquatic plants. The plants consume the fish waste and purify the water. It's a win/win scenario. In a properly balanced pond, you need virtually no maintenance or intervention beyond feeding the fish. The water will stay clear and the plants healthy.

I find it interesting that there are so many new ideas and changes coming about in regards to our food supply. SFG, aquaponics, EarthBoxes, hydroponics, sky farms, SPIN, etc. are emerging as viable alternatives and it is very much needed. I also note that it seems to be people on the fringes so to speak - outliers - who are making the innovations. I can't get a tomato on a hamburger from any fast food place right now because of the sever winter weather that recently took out most of the tomato crops in the south east. Yet one of the YouTube videos shows a guy growing a TON of food 365 days a year in a greenhouse. Why aren't the giant agribusiness doing this? Isn't that what economies of scale is supposed to accomplish. Turns out the scale isn't GIANT but small. Give me a 1000 micro farms using innovative technology and ideas over a giant, centralized corporate set up any day.

Last edited by timwardell on 3/21/2010, 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  bpbdrummer 3/20/2010, 10:53 pm

The reason I think that there arent more commercial ag. companies doing this is the same reason hemp wasnt accepted as a viable substitute for plastics ,really just boils down to $$. Think about how much money the chemical companies make each year, billions on pesticides and fertilizers. If big farming were to move to closed systems like aquaponics they would have no use for these chemicals.

I wont go on the hemp rant but Ford built a car in the 40's, the body was made from processed hemp and it was so strong it could take a beating by a baseball bat with no signs of damage. Dow chemical and Randolph Hearst were a big influence with deep pockets who managed to sway things the way they wanted so hemp remained an untapped natural resource.

anyway, I've been looking at these systems for probably 3-4 yrs now and I've been planning on building one, I just dont have anywhere to set one up right now. Our house is too small, my garage is more of a music studio than a garage and I've considered putting a greenhouse in the yard but here in florida summers average 90-100 degrees and winters get down to freezing. The heat will probably kill anything in the greenhouse even with ventilation and shade cloth.

I've kept salt water reef tanks for years and my current system is pretty much like a self sustained bio system. the live rock filters the waste from the water so no need for a filtration system. the only thing I have close to a filter is a skimmer, it just pumps air into the water as it passes through the chambers which creates foam, same as the foam coming in off the ocean, the residual waste is suspended in the foam and rises above the water and is collected in a skimmer cup.

Sine I've been keeping fish for years I have a lot of extra tanks, old filters, pumps etc. it wouldnt take much to create a small aquaponic test system. I also have a few hundred pounds of hydroton clay balls for growing media. Like I said i was looking into doing a system and scored the clay on craigslist. I paid $30 for probably $300 worth. The people who sold it had been renting out a house and apparently the guy who was living there was running a hydroponic marijuana grow op. So when he moved out he left the grow media and these people just wanted it gone.

Epcot center has a large commercial hydroponic system, apparently they look at you like you're insane when you tell them they need to attach the fish water to the hydroponic system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbdID0Sokhk
bpbdrummer

Male Posts : 88

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SirTravers 3/20/2010, 11:01 pm

Here's a good video showing hydro Lettuce production. By the time it's full grown it's in a Square Foot hydro garden!
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  choksaw 3/20/2010, 11:12 pm

lol a merging of the 2 systems i love it
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 3/21/2010, 12:51 am

SirTravers wrote:Here's a good video showing hydro Lettuce production. By the time it's full grown it's in a Square Foot hydro garden! <snip>
Glad to see this being done a large scale. I gotta say though, it seems like Aquaponics is an evolution of Hydroponics. With hydro - as in the video - you only get one crop and you have to add fertilizer. With Aquaponics the fish provide the fertilizer and you get two crops - the veggies and the fish. That's an example of the permaculture principle of multiple yields.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 3/21/2010, 12:57 am

bpbdrummer wrote:The reason I think that there arent more commercial ag. companies doing this is the same reason hemp wasnt accepted as a viable substitute for plastics ,really just boils down to $$. Think about how much money the chemical companies make each year, billions on pesticides and fertilizers. If big farming were to move to closed systems like aquaponics they would have no use for these chemicals. <snip>
You'll get no argument from me regarding the collusion of big oil, big chemical, and big agribusiness. They can do what they want, as many of us realize their system and their practices are unsustainable. Eventually they will have to adapt, change, or die. Hopefully their chemical laden and unsustainable practices will end before we all do. One of things I enjoy most about gardening is that to garden one must be an optimist. If you don't believe the plants will grow, why plant them. Gardening gives me a sense of hope. We are not powerless. So long as we can grow what we want and feed ourselves (at least to some extent) we are not mere cogs in the consumer machine. Seeing ideas like SFG, Earth Boxes, Aquaponics, and others take hold leads me to believe that we just might make 'round the next bend in the road.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down