Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
new in New Hampshire Toplef10new in New Hampshire 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

new in New Hampshire I22gcj10new in New Hampshire 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
new in New Hampshire Toplef10new in New Hampshire 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

new in New Hampshire I22gcj10new in New Hampshire 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

new in New Hampshire

+3
quiltbea
camprn
nancycwhite
7 posters

Go down

new in New Hampshire Empty new in New Hampshire

Post  nancycwhite 2/28/2011, 5:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I have tried SQF in the past with mixed results. I think my biggest problem with past setups was the aisles being too skinny and wobbly with the planks I was trying to walk on. I realized this was my problem only after reading the New SQF book, but looking back on it I think that is why I didn't enjoy SQF last time. I look forward to trying it out again this year. The last couple of years I have gone back to the rows of plants and just ended up with a garden of weeds.

I do have a question about setting up the boxes on ground that isn't flat. We are not exactly on a hill, but I know from trying to set up inflatable pools for my kids that I don't have a flat spot anywhere in my yard. Does anybody have experience with this and have you come up with easy solutions?

Thanks for any info you can provide,
Nancy
nancycwhite

Back to top Go down

new in New Hampshire Empty Re: new in New Hampshire

Post  camprn 2/28/2011, 5:35 pm

Hi Nancy, new in New Hampshire 396615 to the forum! Where are you in NH? I love having neighbors here!
So, how much of a slope have you got? I have a very slight slope and I just built a small stone foundation under the down slope corners. If I had a major drop I may consider using wider planking on that side.
Do you have a photo of your spot from last year. I know it wont do any good to walk out there and take a photo now new in New Hampshire 695909 .
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/28/2011, 7:59 pm

Welcome from a neighbor in Maine.

I can't help with your questions about slopes, but I know there are those on here that had the problem and solved it. It might be a good thing to start a new thread asking that precise question in the New England Thread.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  nancycwhite 2/28/2011, 10:09 pm

I am in southern NH, the Nashua area.
I don't have a big slope. I was thinking of using a larger board on the lower side and trying to even it up. I didn't want to have to put a bottom piece of plywood on the squares. Do you do that if you put a stone foundation under one side?

Unfortunately no pictures and yes I still have 1-2 feet of snow covering my yard.

Nancy
nancycwhite

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/28/2011, 10:12 pm

Hi Nancy, welcome to the forum! glad you\'re here

I grew up not very far at all from you, nice to see a (one-time) neighbor! Very Happy Boy do I remember those snowy days, too. Hang in there.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

new in New Hampshire Empty Welcome

Post  ander217 3/1/2011, 7:34 am

Welcome to the forum, Nancy.

I'd say it depends on the degree of slope, how wide your beds are, and what type of irrigation you use.

Our 4' x 4' SFG box is on a slight slope. We placed a 2" x 4" along one side to level it, and filled in with straw - straw degrades over time, but everything seemed to settle in fine with no sags in the MM on that side.

We also have several 4' x 10' raised beds planted SFG style which are higher on one side than the other. Hubby tried to level them as best he could when adding compost and rice hull blends. We've never had a problem with them. We have plenty of organic matter in the beds which hold the moisture as well on one side as the other.

new in New Hampshire 396615
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/1/2011, 6:08 pm

Nancy, maybe these will help?

This is probably how I'm going to level my beds:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeandgarden/2011/02/build-your-own-raised-flowervegetable-bed/

This one looks MUCH more complicated... but fortunately my slope isn't that steep.
http://transitionculture.org/2008/02/20/on-a-level-the-early-days-of-my-on-the-contour-raised-bed-garden/

I need to take the laser level out into the backyard and find out how bad it really is out there. I'll probably end up chalking a line on the fence so I can get a good visual. I have a very good supply of free corrugated cardboard, so if my boxes are a bit deep on one side I can level them off with wet cardboard on that end. (The main purpose there being to conserve the MM.)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 3/6/2011, 4:20 pm

Megan - I was just going to look for thepioneerwoman.com page to post, since you posted it for me a few days ago. Today I got my boards etc. from Lowes, and this was on my mind the whole time. My husband insisted I use cedar stakes to go with the cedar boards, but they only had 2x2 "stakes" without a pointy end. He said he'd cut an angle on the end for me. I saw the pine stakes all nice and pointy, but no, I had to put those back...

Well anyway, the point is (haha - point), I'm anxious to try this. Put together the sides, screw the stakes into the corners (I'm using 4' lengths, so I won't have all those mid-board stakes), and then I THINK what they're saying is to put the high end of the slope into the ground, place a level on the boards, and pound the low end in only to the point of being level, and then underfill that end with dirt or whatever. I don't see how that wouldn't work.

My husband did bring up a point tho - being the granite state, what do you do if you pound in 2 inches and all of a sudden "clink" you hit rock. I really hope that doesn't happen. It's why I'm making raised beds to begin with - so much rock.

Oh,. and one other thing, and I think I'll make a post about this - Mel says to use 6" boards. But a lot of people say 6" isn't enough, and even this pioneerwoman article uses two 6" boards. I was hoping to find 8" but Lowes only had the 6". What is the general feeling here about whether 6" is enough?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/6/2011, 4:32 pm

Boy do I remember all the rock in New Hampshire!! I grew up there myself.

Mel recommends 6", and I'd guess 6" should be fine for just about anything, unless you want to grow potatoes, carrots, parsnips or other deeply-rooted veggies (leeks, burdock, daikon, etc.) Pioneerwoman is doing raised beds but not SFG, at least, not as far as I can tell. (I just thought the box construction tutorial was nice.)

I used about 4" depth last year and it worked out fine, even with corn and other big plants. I am going to shoot for 6" for my new beds in the backyard, though.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/6/2011, 4:41 pm

I would say that the general consensus on the forum is that six inches is plenty, with a few exceptions like carrots and potatoes. Carrots and potatoes grow just fine in six inches, but the carrots aren't as long as we're used to seeing in the store, and for me, the potatoes didn't get as big as usual.

If you're sitting on rock. set the high side, use your stakes to hold the low side up so the box is level, then cut cardboard to size to fit the gaps. Use the cardboard as a template to mark your box material for cutting.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 3/6/2011, 6:23 pm

Megan - wow, 4". That's amazing. Some people are very particular about their soil depth beliefs and insist 6" is not enough. It's the size of my boards, so I'm choosing to believe it's enough. Smile

And boffer, that's true, you really don't need those stakes to go in too deeply anyway, just enough to support the lower end of the box so it stays level. It's not like there's a chance the box will blow away. Smile
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/6/2011, 6:43 pm

I did fine with 4", even for some very large plants. I used landscaping timbers, not actual boards. I think you'll find that 6" is plenty! Smile
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

new in New Hampshire Empty Depth

Post  ander217 3/7/2011, 7:42 am

What was difficult for me to comprehend at first was that when using a properly-mixed rich blend of Mel's Mix which is watered when needed, the roots don't grow as large as they do in conventional gardening because the roots find what they need close by. If they need to stretch more but hit a solid bottom, they will go horizontal rather than vertical.

Think of those photos of trees growing in tiny crevices or shallow pockets of soil on rocky slopes. Plants are very adept at finding ways to get what they need. (Unless it is a rosemary plant growing in my herb garden, then they die, die, die.)
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 3/7/2011, 11:27 am

ander217 wrote:when using a properly-mixed rich blend of Mel's Mix which is watered when needed, the roots don't grow as large as they do in conventional gardening because the roots find what they need close by. If they need to stretch more but hit a solid bottom, they will go horizontal rather than vertical.

That would explain it! Now it makes sense.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down