Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
insulating the bottom of a table top Toplef10insulating the bottom of a table top 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

insulating the bottom of a table top I22gcj10insulating the bottom of a table top 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
insulating the bottom of a table top Toplef10insulating the bottom of a table top 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

insulating the bottom of a table top I22gcj10insulating the bottom of a table top 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

insulating the bottom of a table top

+4
boffer
Furbalsmom
Goosegirl
walshevak
8 posters

Go down

insulating the bottom of a table top Empty insulating the bottom of a table top

Post  walshevak 2/20/2011, 3:43 pm

I just finished putting together the last box and as I was cleaning up I realized I had a number of pieces of 1/2" styrofoam that came packed with my kits. Enough to line the bottom of one box. My boxes are 8" deep so no problem with space. I'm thinking of next winter when I'll be trying to extend the season with some greens and this could be my hoop house box.

Waste of time? Good Idea? Can't hurt but may not help? Any ideas out there.

I'm going to start stirring up my mels mix now and will check back before I actually fill that box.

Kay
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

insulating the bottom of a table top Empty RE: insulating the bottom of a table top

Post  Goosegirl 2/20/2011, 3:47 pm

What could it hurt to give it a try? Gardening for me is generally one never-ending experiment..... What a Face
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

insulating the bottom of a table top Empty Re: insulating the bottom of a table top

Post  Furbalsmom 2/20/2011, 4:42 pm

walshevak wrote:I just finished putting together the last box and as I was cleaning up I realized I had a number of pieces of 1/2" styrofoam that came packed with my kits. Enough to line the bottom of one box. My boxes are 8" deep so no problem with space. I'm thinking of next winter when I'll be trying to extend the season with some greens and this could be my hoop house box.

I'm going to start stirring up my mels mix now and will check back before I actually fill that box.

Kay

Kay, I think the concept of insulating your Table Top from the bottom is great, but I am concerned that if you line the bottom of your bed with styrofoam, you may have an issue with good drainage. I have not tried it, so this may NOT be an issue. Just thought I would throw in my almost 2 cents worth.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

insulating the bottom of a table top Empty Re: insulating the bottom of a table top

Post  boffer 2/20/2011, 4:43 pm

I'm in the 'try it and see category'. I insulated the one box that I have a soil heating cable in, and will insulate new boxes that get a heating cable. But all my other boxes are uninsulated. I use hoop houses in the spring and fall, but passive heating is a cold idea without occasional sunshine.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/20/2011, 6:12 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:
walshevak wrote:I just finished putting together the last box and as I was cleaning up I realized I had a number of pieces of 1/2" styrofoam that came packed with my kits. Enough to line the bottom of one box. My boxes are 8" deep so no problem with space. I'm thinking of next winter when I'll be trying to extend the season with some greens and this could be my hoop house box.

Kay

Kay, I think the concept of insulating your Table Top from the bottom is great, but I am concerned that if you line the bottom of your bed with styrofoam, you may have an issue with good drainage. I have not tried it, so this may NOT be an issue. Just thought I would throw in my almost 2 cents worth.

The styrofoam is in strips so plenty of spaces for water to drain. And following Wardnwake, the beds are lined with plastic because of the heat down here. I already tested to make sure they would drain. My back yard is also like a wind tunnel catching the breeze off the cabbage fields down the road. That was another reason I though about a little insulation. But now is the time if I'm gonna try it.

Ran out of steam and only got my compost blended. And of course the forcast is for a windy day tomorrow. Was really hoping to get it done cause rain is in the forcast for Tue.

Kay
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AndreaHall 2/20/2011, 9:54 pm

I saw this project and thought it would adapt nicely to SFG: http://oneblockdiet.sunset.com/2010/09/building-a-straw-bale-garden.html

I wonder if the roots would be warmer because of the composting bale underneath.
AndreaHall
AndreaHall

Female Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 2/20/2011, 10:05 pm

My friend Lori has terrible soil and she wants to plant on straw bales this year. I helped her with container gardening of herbs last year, as well as a couple of tomato plants, and we'll share some of our MM to get her going on bales this spring. Thank you for the link!
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/21/2011, 9:09 am

lined bed. I'll leave it in, don't think it will hurt and may help next fall,

insulating the bottom of a table top Lined_10
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 2/21/2011, 10:12 am

Looks good. The only thing I may be concerned about is the chemicals in the styrofoam leaching into the soil. I would have put it under the plastic myself. Very Happy

It's a great idea though. I am definitely curious to hear if it works as I have 2 TT's myself. I wonder if it would work to put some foam house insulation on the bottom of the TT. Maybe even up the sides as well. Hmmmm... got me thinking.
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/21/2011, 10:43 am

This was strictly an afterthough when I finished putting the beds together and not a done deal yet. But another though! Vermiculite is sold in the insulation aisles of some stores. insulating the bottom of a table top 601593
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 2/21/2011, 12:22 pm

So, are you thinking maybe you could put a couple of inches of vermiculite under your MM to try and insulate the TT? I wonder if that would work. I still might put it under the plastic though. Just to keep it from getting mixed in with the soil.
Blackrose
Blackrose

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/21/2011, 7:26 pm

Blackrose wrote:So, are you thinking maybe you could put a couple of inches of vermiculite under your MM to try and insulate the TT?

Expensive insulation. affraid Also, the type sold as insulation may not be food grade???
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 2/21/2011, 7:53 pm

Megan wrote:
Blackrose wrote:So, are you thinking maybe you could put a couple of inches of vermiculite under your MM to try and insulate the TT?

Expensive insulation. affraid Also, the type sold as insulation may not be food grade???
That is why I was saying that it may be better under the plastic. I still think scraps of foam house insulation on the outside would work better. Wouldn't look that great though.
Blackrose
Blackrose

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/21/2011, 8:51 pm

To put foam insulation on the outside and not have it look so bad, you could use the stuff that is made for skirting mobile homes - it comes in brick or stone facing and in colors or can be painted. If you know of an abandoned trailer house that still has some attached..... {the only thing better than cheap is free!} What a Face
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 2/21/2011, 11:06 pm

Goosegirl wrote:To put foam insulation on the outside and not have it look so bad, you could use the stuff that is made for skirting mobile homes - it comes in brick or stone facing and in colors or can be painted. If you know of an abandoned trailer house that still has some attached..... {the only thing better than cheap is free!} What a Face

Excellent idea! insulating the bottom of a table top 109486

I know of some mobile home parks just north of me. I'll have to look into that before the fall.
Blackrose
Blackrose

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 2/21/2011, 11:11 pm

We're getting a huge bag of vermiculite, 60 cubic feet (~4x4x4), from a distributor a couple of counties over and my husband is going to use a bunch of it to insulate the clay oven he's planning to build this year. We bought a bag before and sold enough to pay for the bag, and had enough for all of our nine beds and a couple more batches of MM for my herb pots. It's a MUCH cheaper way to buy vermiculite, but getting the bag from there to here is a bit of a challenge Smile We have a trailer that hasn't been on the road in over a year, so I'm hoping it's still road-worthy, and we have to have a neighbor pull it because our farm-use vehicle gave up the ghost. Oh well, it will be worth it Smile
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down