Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic surprise! Toplef10Garlic surprise! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic surprise! I22gcj10Garlic surprise! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic surprise! Toplef10Garlic surprise! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic surprise! I22gcj10Garlic surprise! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by arussman Today at 6:08 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Garlic surprise!

5 posters

Go down

Garlic surprise! Empty Garlic surprise!

Post  Icemaiden 2/15/2011, 10:28 am

Back at the start of October I planted some cloves of garlic in a couple of squares. Then when it got cold I covered them up with some old coldframes which I "edited" to fit over my 4x4.
I've looked at the half which holds the strawberry plants and the herbs, just to check they were still there Laughing
Today, for some reason, I checked the other half and found sprouts of garlic!!! And some of them have more than one green shoot so there is some hope that I will get bulbs rather than big cloves, isn't there?
This is what they look like:
Garlic surprise! Garlic11

I gave them a bit of water and covered them up again. Hoping for the best here. I've never grown garlic before.
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Garlic surprise! Empty Re: Garlic surprise!

Post  quiltbea 2/15/2011, 10:34 am

Wow, what a great find. There's nothing like being greeted with the first greening of the spring and summer crops.
Lucky you.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Garlic surprise! Empty Garlic Surprise

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 2/15/2011, 5:32 pm

Congratulations, Icemaiden, on your garlic-raising! What variety did you plant? Garlic is a marvelously satisfying crop. I shall keep an eye on your experience, especially since your sprouts are the same height of some of ours here in Western Oregon. It'll be interesting to see when you start harvesting them. Way to go! Nonna, St. Helens, OR
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 2/16/2011, 4:15 am

Thanks for the encouragement! I planted two "sorts"... one from the supermarket and I know that came from China, and one organic one from the health store Rolling Eyes

I have seen garlic in the garden shop at the same time as the onion sets but it just does not work to plant garlic here in May and hope fro a crop!

I'm thinking that next time I go to the UK (or Italy if I am so lucky) then I could bring back something more exciting. Last summer I went to a food fair in England and they had all sorts of garlic on sale.

I watched a youtube video yesterday and a guy said it was good to plant the whole bulb in the autumn and then pull it apart and re-plant the rooted cloves in the spring. Does anyone do that?
Icemaiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 2/16/2011, 9:17 am

Icemaiden wrote:I watched a youtube video yesterday and a guy said it was good to plant the whole bulb in the autumn and then pull it apart and re-plant the rooted cloves in the spring. Does anyone do that?

Interesting idea, but after raising garlic for many years with consistently good results (we give braids of softneck garlic away as gifts, and hardneck types for general good eating), I'm not sure the re-planting technique would work here in Oregon. Do you know where the guy lived who practiced the re-planting? I'd worry that the minute root "hairs" would be destroyed in the separating/replanting, which would set the individual plants back enough that the heads would be smaller as a result. In the early fall, we plant the largest cloves from the selected heads of garlic, putting a covering of compost over the planting. Then, I mark March 25 on the upcoming calender as a reminder to side-dress the plants by working in a little fertilizer alongside each plant. Our local extension agent recommends a high-nitrogen organic fertilizer, such as blood meal. Then fertilize again just before the bulbs begin to swell in response to lengthening daylight (here, around mid-May). That's it, except for weeding the bed. Depending on the variety of garlic, we begin harvesting around the end of June and continue through mid-July as the different varieties mature. Whew, that's too long a post. Happy growing! Nonna, St. Helens, OR
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 2/16/2011, 9:27 am

I thought that was a great post (for what it's worth) Nonna. Very helpful.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 2/16/2011, 9:32 am

Lavender Debs wrote:I thought that was a great post (for what it's worth) Nonna. Very helpful.

I second that !! It was so informative Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 2/16/2011, 12:23 pm

Thanks for that Nonna. You obviously know what you are doing which makes one of us Laughing

What happened with the whole garlic thing was... I was listening to Gardeners Question Time which is a BBC radio programme (I get podcasts on my ipod when I feel homesick) and someone asked if it was too late to plant garlic. One of the experts said that if it was late in the year then he planted it as a whole head, but did not go into detail.

Well, that reminded me of Middlemamma (I think) who tried that by mistake last summer. So I googled a bit to see if it was possible to plant the whole thing and found this video:
http://www.ehow.com/video_4976217_planting-spring-gardens-propagating-garlic.html

I can't tell from his accent where he is likely to be gardening, perhaps you can? The garlic he has seems to have masses of roots and he is not being at all gentle.

I showed my son the garlic shoots today and he said that it had clearly come up way too early and would just die before it had chance to grow properly Sad

Oh well, it is a bit of a cheap gamble. It is not like the garlic cost very much and we might get a nice summer. If I get any crop at all then I will let you all know.

I can't get blood meal here. I used to be able to get bone meal but they stopped when mad cow disease came up. Would dried chicken manure be OK? The only other thing here is dried seaweed and that is high phosphorous isn't it?

Really grateful for any advice. Thanks a lot.

PS Just looked at one of the other videos and it is from Laughing Dog Farm, in Gill, MA. Which hopefully means more to you than it does to me!
Icemaiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum