Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
metal fencing for vertical growing - Page 2 Toplef10metal fencing for vertical growing - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

metal fencing for vertical growing - Page 2 I22gcj10metal fencing for vertical growing - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
metal fencing for vertical growing - Page 2 Toplef10metal fencing for vertical growing - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

metal fencing for vertical growing - Page 2 I22gcj10metal fencing for vertical growing - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

metal fencing for vertical growing

+12
Aub
sully
FarmerValerie
camprn
Smartchick
miinva
Odd Duck
ander217
quiltbea
Megan
Selandra
twangster
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

metal fencing for vertical growing - Page 2 Empty Re: metal fencing for vertical growing

Post  Megan 3/11/2011, 9:49 pm

I do love those T-bars! Let me know when that day comes, though, and I'll send you some rampicante seed. Wink
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

metal fencing for vertical growing - Page 2 Empty Re: metal fencing for vertical growing

Post  acara 3/12/2011, 5:26 am

NO-No-NO Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Stanley the crack-cucumber just about killed me. I'm way too busy these days to pick a fight with one of your super-man-eating-rampicantes.

I don't even like squash..... LOL
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/12/2011, 5:43 am

funny post rofl
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/12/2011, 5:44 am

quiltbea wrote:Try concrete reinforcing wire from a building supply store.
metal fencing for vertical growing - Page 2 07-28-11

I made cucumber towers with that stuff.

Quiltbea, what is the purpose of those cans in the middle of your tower?
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/12/2011, 5:48 am

FarmerValerie wrote:We have wire shelves for some of ours at this time, hubby brought them home when he painted a local dollar store.
metal fencing for vertical growing - Page 2 Img_1010

Valerie, love the idea of the shelving. I am even more impressed by the stake-and-string system you've got going on in front of the shelving trellis. I've read about doing that, but never seen it done. The visual is a big help.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 3/12/2011, 5:52 am

DIY self-watering cans, if I remember right
acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/12/2011, 8:43 am

I will be doing the steak and string for cowpeas and peppers in a box or two this year, but never again will I put 16 tomatoes in one 4x4 box. Those things were over 8' tall last year. When I hurt my back and had to stay inside for 3 1/2 months, no one snipped the suckers nor topped them out. When I was able to get back out, I could not see inside, let alone get my hand in that jungle to get anything. It was a monstrosity. It was one of those things where the wife tells the husband, honey this is what I need, and he says "we still have plenty of time", and then one day he says stick those things in the ground, anywhere, they are dying. I had run out of boxes and posts for supports, and had to stick the tomatoes he bought in right then and there.

This year I have stayed on him about boxes, dirt, and supplies, I don't care if it becomes nagging, I'm tired and I'm too young to be old, but too old to be young, I'm tired of feeling like the Little Red Hen who just wanted to make some bread for her kids. Speaking of which, this is a GREAT book to read to little ones during gardening season, about how no one helped her but everyone wanted some bread. It's a good way to get them involved.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/12/2011, 9:02 am

FarmerValerie wrote:I will be doing the steak and string for cowpeas and peppers in a box or two this year, but never again will I put 16 tomatoes in one 4x4 box. Those things were over 8' tall last year. When I hurt my back and had to stay inside for 3 1/2 months, no one snipped the suckers nor topped them out. When I was able to get back out, I could not see inside, let alone get my hand in that jungle to get anything. It was a monstrosity.

LoL... I was afraid to comment about them all being tomatoes. Smile It looks like a great system for trussing up lower-growing plants, though. I may have to steal it for peppers and bush beans. I do hope your back is better!
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/12/2011, 9:25 am

Thanks, the back pain comes and goes, which is why I have my 14yo son busting his behind right now before it gets too hot getting all my ducks in a row so all we have to do is maintain.

I think Mel mentioned in his first book about some taller plants, like peppers, needing support and suggested the string-and-steak method. I read somewhere about someone doing their tomatoes that way, and they ad success, but then they were able to top them out, I was not, I do not recommend it. But for peppers and southern peas, the string-and-steak can be a real plant saver, they get a bit tall, and one good wind or one stray football, can knock them down.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/12/2011, 9:30 am

I bought some cutshort bush bean seed for this year... I may have to get an extra bundle of stakes (or cut up some of my bamboo poles) to try that out. Thanks again!
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

metal fencing for vertical growing - Page 2 Empty Metal cow fencing

Post  doc_jh 3/16/2011, 5:54 pm

We just moved in October and I'm getting ready to move all my boxes and stuff. I too was wondering about the cattle panelling. It seems that it would make a great trellis, better and easier than nylon. The netting I've bought falls apart and it's too time consuming to make my own nets.
doc_jh

Male Posts : 30

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/16/2011, 5:56 pm

All three of my nylon nets lasted through last year and the winter, and I was very happy with them during the growing season. It's a pain pulling off dried bits and pieces of vine in fall, though. I am probably going to re-use them, however. I'm interested in a cattle or hog panel to make an arbor, but I don't want to have to duck to get under it.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/16/2011, 6:13 pm

doc_jh wrote:We just moved in October and I'm getting ready to move all my boxes and stuff. I too was wondering about the cattle panelling. It seems that it would make a great trellis, better and easier than nylon. The netting I've bought falls apart and it's too time consuming to make my own nets.

Everybody speaks well of the cattle panels. I haven't used them.

I am very happy with the concrete re-enforcing wire panels available from Lowes and HD and concrete accessory suppliers. They come in different sizes; can be rolled for transport if you get a 20 footer; are easy to cut for other uses. They are not galvanized, and quickly acquire that rusty metal look.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 3/16/2011, 9:25 pm

Yep ...the CRM is a much more cost effective option ..IMHO

The 4/4 10/10 (4" square mesh, 10 gauge wire in both directions) or 6/6 10/10 is really all you need, unless yr doing pumpkins or watermelons. The heavier stuff like 6/6 4/4 is probably suitable for everything up to ....... Volkswagons Very Happy
acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 3/16/2011, 9:36 pm

doc_jh wrote:We just moved in October and I'm getting ready to move all my boxes and stuff. I too was wondering about the cattle panelling. It seems that it would make a great trellis, better and easier than nylon. The netting I've bought falls apart and it's too time consuming to make my own nets.

The ones I got last year fell apart in the middle of the summer. The ones I got after that have held up through the fall and winter...the real test will be if they make it through the summer. If not, I will be looking into something else.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2