Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
So a girl walked into a seed store... Toplef10So a girl walked into a seed store... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

So a girl walked into a seed store... I22gcj10So a girl walked into a seed store... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
So a girl walked into a seed store... Toplef10So a girl walked into a seed store... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

So a girl walked into a seed store... I22gcj10So a girl walked into a seed store... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

So a girl walked into a seed store...

+7
acara
outsideasy
quiltbea
Megan
LaFee
Chopper
middlemamma
11 posters

Go down

So a girl walked into a seed store... Empty So a girl walked into a seed store...

Post  middlemamma 1/5/2011, 12:50 am

and she went crazy and spent too much money.

BUT she got these little paper packets of JOY...all different kinds of joy...Some new kinds of joy that she has never had before...like Purple Top White Globe Turnips and American Flag Leeks. Some cool new kinds of Joy she has tried before like French Breakfast and Easter Egg radish. Some little packets that promise to grow the hugest Joy she has ever seen like Mammoth Sunflower. Another little packet of joy claims to bring the butterflies to her garden bringing Joy on their wings. And still there were other types that promised to keep the meanie bugs off from the other Joy she grows like Basil, Nasturtium, Borage, and Marigolds.

Her pocket book felt very light (affraid ) but her heart was happy just looking in her bag. I love you

Jen-Thinking of that old Mervyn's commercial back in the day where the lady is standing with her nose pressed against the glass and she is saying, "OPEN, OPEN, OPEN". I'm like a little kid with my nose pressed against the glass looking into the future at Spring saying, "OPEN, OPEN, OPEN."
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

So a girl walked into a seed store... Empty Re: So a girl walked into a seed store...

Post  Chopper 1/5/2011, 4:25 pm

You are out of control! Actually, that is how I am in book stores. I have to simply walk away.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

So a girl walked into a seed store... Empty Re: So a girl walked into a seed store...

Post  LaFee 1/5/2011, 4:32 pm

You will LOVE the French Breakfast radishes -- they're so pretty, with their white tips and red bodies -- and they have great flavor, but aren't too hot.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 1/5/2011, 4:55 pm

Embarassed Chopper...I am the same way in a book store. Embarassed I have to only allow myself to order form Amazon like 2 x a year.

La Fee! You inspired me...you posted about these radishes awhile back and then I added them to my list. Smile

Jen
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 1/5/2011, 6:04 pm

Oh, boy, do I know that feeling. (Seeds and books, both!) I was SO excited when my big packet from Baker Creek arrived last year. It felt like Christmas.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/5/2011, 11:39 pm

After I got my seed catalogs, I went thru them and made these lists of everything I wanted to buy. The lists were long.
Then I went to my fridge and checked the seeds I had left from last year. Some keep 3 yrs, some 5 yrs. Well, some I bought last year and never even got to open and try. The list of available seed in my jars in the fridge is also long.
I immediately trimmed those 'to buy' lists before I changed my mind.
I can go wild buying seed when I really shouldn't.
Except for a few things I'm out of or nearly out of, I'll be using last year's seed.
I know that feeling of wanting to buy, buy, buy.
Enjoy your purchases.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  outsideasy 1/6/2011, 12:50 am

I was looking at my seed collection too and then I realized that I bought my tomatoe seeds before I knew about determinate and indeterminate tomatoes. Can anyone tell me if Beefsteak and San Marzano are det or indet ? I may have to repurchase my tomatoe seed to get the right ones. I also went to our storage unit to put the Xmas lights and decorations away and found an old floppy disc case that I repurposed to hold all my seed in one handy easy to see and catagorize place. Much better than the gallong baggie I had them in. Now I am curious, how does every one else store their seed?
outsideasy

Male Posts : 103

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 1/6/2011, 6:07 am

Both are indet.

acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 1/6/2011, 6:59 am

outsideasy wrote:Now I am curious, how does every one else store their seed?

There is a whole thread around here someplace on how everyone stores their seed....
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

So a girl walked into a seed store... Empty So a girl logged on to a seed company website...

Post  Blackrose 1/6/2011, 11:04 am

I am so with you Jen. I was checking out a seed company website that is fairly local to me and went a little nuts myself.

Here is a pic of my seeds (got more today):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10572370@N07/5329906533

I'm missing a few from the pic because for the life of me I cannot remember where the "safe place" is that I put all of my tomato seeds! As my Mum would say "I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached". Hopefully I come across them soon!

...gettin' the itch to start doin' some plantin'! C'mon February!!!
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 1/6/2011, 1:45 pm

Blackrose wrote:I am so with you Jen. I was checking out a seed company website that is fairly local to me and went a little nuts myself.

Here is a pic of my seeds (got more today):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10572370@N07/5329906533

I'm missing a few from the pic because for the life of me I cannot remember where the "safe place" is that I put all of my tomato seeds! As my Mum would say "I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached". Hopefully I come across them soon!

...gettin' the itch to start doin' some plantin'! C'mon February!!!

Wow!! those are pretty!!
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 1/6/2011, 1:54 pm

Jen-Thinking of that old Mervyn's commercial back in the day where the lady is standing with her nose pressed against the glass and she is saying, "OPEN, OPEN, OPEN". I'm like a little kid with my nose pressed against the glass looking into the future at Spring saying, "OPEN, OPEN, OPEN."
\

I know how you feel!! You are so funny!! Im looking forward to everyones packets of joy !!
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/6/2011, 2:05 pm

I store my seed packs in glass jars and sealed baggies with a square of, is it called dessicate, to draw the moisure, in each one. The dessicate pack is dropped into the jar or baggy.
The jars are placed in one of my crisper draws in the fridge and stay there all year round.
I only take them out for a short time to get the seeds I need for any given day, then put them right back when I'm done.
If you have your seedpacks outdoors for planting, be sure to keep them in a shady spot out of the sunshine to keep longer.
Seed Longevity:
Renew each yr: Parsnips
Good for 2 yrs: carrots and corn.
Good for 3 yrs: beans, peas, peppers, radishes.
Good for 5 yrs: broccoli, cabbage, cukes, lettuce, melons.
Good for 10 yrs: marigolds
These are the only ones I read about for life length.
I've started some pepper, tomato, broccoli and cabbage seeds that were 3 yrs old and they germinated just fine last year.
So a girl walked into a seed store... 03-28-11
Here's some broccoli and cabbage seeds started from 3-yr old seed last spring.

Make your own dessicate pack:
Take 2 layers of facial tissue spread open.
Place a Teaspoon of powdered milk in the center.
Roll up the powder inside the tissue.
Staple it shut.
Put into your baggy or glass jar with your packs of seeds to keep them dry.
Renew the dessicate pack every 6 months or so.
Its worked for me so far.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 1/6/2011, 2:13 pm

quiltbea wrote:
So a girl walked into a seed store... 03-28-11
Here's some broccoli and cabbage seeds started from 3-yr old seed last spring.

I love the soil blocks! I just ordered some soil blockers from Johnny Seeds the other day. So looking forward to receiving those. They were my Christmas present to myself. Very Happy
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

So a girl walked into a seed store... Empty So a girl walked into a seed store . . .

Post  junequilt 1/6/2011, 4:22 pm

Fabric. Quilt fabric. Must have. Oooh, expensive! Never mind, credit card. Bill arrives. Ouch!

It's almost as bad with seeds and other gardening stuff. For Christmas I actually bought DH one of those gizmos that makes newspaper pots for seed starting. The fact that I was buying it for him rather than me made it acceptable.
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  davidclubb 1/6/2011, 10:33 pm

I have a book titled 48 Days to The Work You Love by Life Coach Dan Miller. In his book he talks about getting paid to do what you love. His philosophy is based on the assumption that we are put on this earth for a reason, and so we are born with a passion for life. That passion is relative to each person. So, whatever your passion may be, do not be shy about spending time in your passion. If it means spending time in your favorite places, then you will be sought after, because of the passion you have for gardening, woodworking, driving, architecture, art, music, teaching or whatever you may love with all your heart.
davidclubb
davidclubb

Male Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down