Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Greetings from Costa Rica Toplef10Greetings from Costa Rica 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Greetings from Costa Rica I22gcj10Greetings from Costa Rica 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Greetings from Costa Rica Toplef10Greetings from Costa Rica 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Greetings from Costa Rica I22gcj10Greetings from Costa Rica 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 5:02 pm

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Today at 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Greetings from Costa Rica

+3
GardenZen
Megan
Costa Rica Art
7 posters

Go down

Greetings from Costa Rica Empty Greetings from Costa Rica

Post  Costa Rica Art 12/31/2010, 8:35 am

I retired and moved to Costa Rica for several reasons, the people, country and climate. My home is in the Central Valley 6 kilometers north of San Ramon de Alajuela in a village called Los Angeles Sur (I tell everyone that I live in South LA, just 3,000 miles south from downtown LA). Our home is at 3,800 feet which gives us wonderful weather, 54 has been the lowest with the low 60s as the low average, the highest was 85 with the mid 70s as the high average. We do get a lot of rain which, visit my blog (http://agardeninparadise.blogspot.com/), will drown regular gardens so my garden will have a roof. I was a mechanical engineer which has lead me thru several methods of gardening (lots of reading of several books and methods). Many years of moving and getting thru life didn’t help me much with gardening though. While in Bakersfield CA I tried some of the square foot gardening method and made some of the modifications that lead me to building the garden that I now have. Besides me and my wife, Caroline (ex school teacher), there are 5 cats, 2 dogs, 4 parakeets, a pair of silkies with 5 young ones, a pair of bantams with 3 young and 7 egg laying hens. I welcome any comments on my blog; any comments emailed to me and of course any help others have regarding SFG in the tropics. One of the reasons for the garden is some of the veggies we love that we are used to are not grown in quantity here in CR if at all. The locals don’t have the same taste for some of the veggies we like so we will raise our bell peppers, jalapeños, spinach, old fashion tomatoes, okra and others. It will be interesting experimenting with growing things here as there is no killing frost ever. Some things will grow year round here. One thing is a tomato plant, it will be interesting in seeing how that does or doesn’t work. With the New Year things will get back to getting finished and I can get busy experimenting with my garden. Oh, sorry for not saying so before, my wife loves to garden too; she is waiting not very patiently for the garden to be done so I had better get with it.

Art
Costa Rica Art
Costa Rica Art

Male Posts : 2

http://agardeninparadise.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Costa Rica Empty Re: Greetings from Costa Rica

Post  Megan 12/31/2010, 8:45 am

Hi, Art, and welcome! glad you\'re here

Bakersfield sounds like a tough place to start gardening. If you can get one going there, you can do anything. Can't wait to hear more about your family garden...and we have some readers in tropical latitude areas who I'm sure will be thrilled to have two more gardeners join their ranks!

Please let us know how it goes, and remember, we love pictures! Smile

Happy gardening flower
Megan
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenZen 12/31/2010, 9:03 am

Hello Art and welcome.

You are indeed in paradise. CR is on my bucket list, I would imagine you can grow anything and everything with SFG! Best of luck and look forward to your sharing your experiences....and photos Cool
GardenZen
GardenZen

Male Posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 12/31/2010, 10:27 am

Welcome Art!

Kim

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Greetings from Costa Rica WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Costa Rica Empty Welcome

Post  bettyd_z7_va 12/31/2010, 11:04 am

So nice to "meet" you.

What an adventure!

Looking forward to hearing about your gardening adventures waaaay down south of me.

We LOVE pictures.

I would love to live in a warmer climate, but can't get the daughter, sil and grandkids on board.

And I 'ain't goin nowhere' without my Babies!!!

Betty

bettyd_z7_va

Female Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Costa Rica Empty Thanks for the welcome!

Post  Costa Rica Art 12/31/2010, 6:17 pm

It is very nice to receive such a grand welcome. There will be lots of photos to come. I am wondering if I should post some of the photos from my blog???? The begining and progress of my SFG which I do have several of. My object of growing veggies in my block raised bed garden is many fold, saving the ol' back is just one of them. What I will have spent total for this block garden is less than the cost of a tiller and many of the garden tools I won't be needing. Several people mentioned how much I'm spending till I remind them of their cost and all the labor they will expend preparing their gardens not to mention the time they'll spend weeding. My back yard is fenced with chain link which I plan to use for climbing crops like mellons. I will make the beds 2'X4' at the base of the fence. I will use the same plastic netting matterial that is used for onion bags to make hammocks for the mellons.
Oops, I guess that I had better just post these things as they occur. flower One does have a tendency to ramble when one is gardening, huh? lol!
Again, thanks for the warm welcome, looking forward to lots of great advise and lots of great veggies. Very Happy
Y'all have a wonderful New Years Eve. :drunken:
Costa Rica Art
Costa Rica Art

Male Posts : 2

http://agardeninparadise.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 1/1/2011, 5:25 pm

Looking forward to seeing more of you around, Art. Sounds very adventurous to move down there. Like Zen, my bucket list includes Costa Rica since my wife's and my honeymoons were supposed to be there 11 yrs ago....but got derailed by faster than planned kids...lol. Maybe someday. Until then, I will live vicariously through those I know that live/visit down that way. Many good seasons to you, and welcome aboard.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Costa Rica Empty welcome

Post  ander217 1/1/2011, 9:14 pm

Welcome, CR Art. I loved reading your post. I think it was a ray of sunshine for many of us feeling the cold and dark of winter. We are dreaming of planting, but we can follow along as you and the others who live in warm climes are actually doing it.

So again, welcome, and please send pictures. glad you\'re here

ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum