Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomatillos Toplef10Tomatillos 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomatillos I22gcj10Tomatillos 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomatillos Toplef10Tomatillos 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomatillos I22gcj10Tomatillos 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tomatillos

+27
FamilyGardening
landarch
Marc Iverson
johnp
camprn
Goosegirl
grownsunshine
CapeCoddess
llama momma
sanderson
jmsieglaff
RoOsTeR
Glendale-gardener
dianamarie03
shannon1
sherryeo
florenceq
Furbalsmom
westie42
milaneyjane
Nonna.PapaVino
corrermucho
beagle love
donnainzone5
jerzyjen
sigep185
timwardell
31 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tomatillos Empty Tomatillos

Post  timwardell 3/18/2010, 3:33 pm

Found out last night (via email) that one of my sources for tomato transplants had a complete crop failure and will not be fulfilling any transplant orders. Luckily I ordered my heirloom tomato transplants from 2 different sources so half of this year's crop is still on it's way. To replace the fallen and fill those empty squares I had set aside just for them, I went to a local nursery. I was able to find adequate replacements for those that I won't be getting, then a tomatillo caught my eye.

I've never grown tomatillos, but I couldn't resist. darn those garden centers and their tempting transplants! Anyone have experience with these things? I'd hate for my $2.50 to go to waste.  Smile

A quick check of Wikipedia just told me I'd need two in order to have them set fruit. Dang. Now I've got to go back to the source of my temptation. Help me Garden Gods! Must resist. No... squares... left.  AHHHHHHHHHH! affraid
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Tomatillos Empty Tomatillos and ground cherries

Post  sigep185 3/18/2010, 4:02 pm

I am trying Aunt Molly's Ground Cherries and Tomatillos this year after taking a cooking class where they had us taste ground cherries. They were great. I have never planted either, but I read the same thing that you did, that they will not set much fruit without a second plant. I did read that ground cherries and tomatillos will cross polinate, so that could work for you, but that would still require another plant. Here is what I found out about ground cherries/tomatillos:

They grow to about 2-3 feet tall and 2-3 feet wide. They will grow in the husks and will fall off the plant when they are ripe. Do Not eat them before 1) either the husk browns and pops open, or 2) they fall off the plant. The plant itself and premature fruits are toxic. A suggestion was to put some sort of plastic mulch (red plastic mulch works well) to keep the fruit from getting dirty when they fall. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Brian
sigep185
sigep185

Male Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Tomatillos Empty Re: Tomatillos

Post  jerzyjen 3/18/2010, 4:28 pm

I did not know this rule when i spontaneously added a last minute tomatillo to my sfg last year. Started late too cause i started in the spring from seed. However, I did get some fruit. Most were a bit small, so I'm planning on two plants this year and hope to get a much better yield. I am sticking them in a 2 x 3 area of squares to give them some room.

Oh and I understand they like it hot, so you should do well in Texas. We had a pretty cool summer for our area so that also probably had a factor on plant.
jerzyjen
jerzyjen

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 3/19/2010, 10:41 am

Because of my relatively cool location, I haven't had much luck with tomatillos. The plants typically grow 5' - 6' tall, bloom, start to set fruit, then succumb to powdery white mildew or some such ailment.

However, I came close to having a small crop last year. Apparently, the plants all went to seed in one small pot. Several tomatillos are growing there (and already blooming!). I plan to just let things be and see what transpires.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  beagle love 3/20/2010, 5:46 pm

This is my first garden, so not much advice to offer. I too bought two tomatillo transplants and they are doing well in the SFG. They have lots of flowers and I read the flowers attract bees Smile It gets pretty hot around here so the weather won't be an issue. This week it has been in the mid to high 80's.
beagle love
beagle love

Female Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 3/20/2010, 7:04 pm

beagle love wrote:This is my first garden, so not much advice to offer. I too bought two tomatillo transplants and they are doing well in the SFG. They have lots of flowers and I read the flowers attract bees Smile It gets pretty hot around here so the weather won't be an issue. This week it has been in the mid to high 80's.
Yes, if have flowers you will have bees. They just seem to show up. How do they know? Wink Good thing too since they will pollenate your plants. Would be very difficult to garden without them. (Why is there no bee emoticon? This is a gardening forum?) Hmmmmm.... :suspect:
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  corrermucho 5/6/2011, 6:53 pm

I am going to plant some tomatillos today in my salsa garden. I just bought 4 tomato plants from a local farm. I have a salsa pepper plant also that I planted. I guess tomatillos are 1 per square foot (at least that is what I am going to plant!) Very Happy
corrermucho
corrermucho

Male Posts : 40

http://www.cvsd.k12.az.us/~mmetz@cvsdstaff.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/6/2011, 8:56 pm

Tomatillas are another of those crops that keeps on giving...once you plant it, if you ignore an overly ripe fruit, you will have a gratuitous crop the following year. We've had progeny from our original planting of tomatillas every year for the past five years. Tomatillas are definitely worth the space if you like green salsa, or green enchiladas. We really like their somewhat citrusy taste in a salsa. BTW, we're in the cool, rainy Pacific Northwest, but have always been blessed with a good crop of tomatillas.

Sigep185, like you, we are trying Aunt Molly's ground cherries this year. I'm an odd plant junkie, and always want to try something new. Hope you and I can compare recipes this fall!
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 5/6/2011, 11:37 pm

Tim,

I started them from seed to plant for the first time this year. I can't wait to grow them. I am not sure how much fruit I will get from each plant so I am planting 4 (yet to be decided if they make it into a box or if they will get stuck outside the box this year). We want enough to make salsa verde. I have so many seedlings, that I forcing several newbie gardener friends to grow them as well, LOL!
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 5/7/2011, 1:09 am

Tim just because you only have one plant should not be a big worry in your area. Pollen will probably blow or fly in from another plant in the area or for good measures plant the extra one in a 5 gal bucket, they are real estate hog's anyway.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/7/2011, 11:41 am

I am growing Aunt Mollies Ground Cherries for the first time this year. I remember the ground cherries from my childhood, when I visited family in the mountains of WV, and they grew ground cherries sprawling around the edge of the yard. We ate them after they fell off the vine and I remember my aunt making ground cherry preserves. Always served on hot biscuits with lots of butter.

I hope they are as good as remember.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Tomatillos Empty Re: Tomatillos & Grounf Cherries

Post  florenceq 5/21/2011, 12:22 am

I received a packet a Ground Cherries from the Seeds of Change Sowing Millions Project. I had never heard of them before but they look interesting so I planted a couple in SFG. If anyone has any recipes for them, please share.

Tonatillo sauce is one of my favorites so of course I will being growing those as wells. I have 3 started!
florenceq
florenceq

Female Posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Tomatillos Empty Tomatillos

Post  sherryeo 5/21/2011, 12:07 pm

I tried tomatillos last summer in a conventional garden. They were huge plants - easily 6 feet tall, maybe even a bit more. They also probably took about 6 foot of space in circumference, too. Huge, sprawling plants. I don't know about different varieties - maybe some of them don't get that big, but mine were just out of control. I had a bumper crop of the tomatillos and was looking up salsa and other recipes for them. I was so excited. Then the stink bugs finished off my tomato plants and I pulled the plants up. The bugs then turned to my tomatillos. I'd read that tomatillos are seldom bothered by insects, but the stink bugs and leaf-footed bugs just ruined my whole crop of them. Tomatillos 671790 I didn't get enough for a single batch of salsa! Sad

I may try them again, but probably not in a regular sized sfg, unless there is a much smaller variety.
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 5/21/2011, 4:56 pm

I have grown them here in Iowa for for several years. They don't get quite that big but probably 4 1/2 ft tall and across so yes they do take up room. Never have had an insect problem but bugs are not as happy up here either. Getting enough hot growing season is more problem here so the crop is plentiful but smaller sized fruits in many cases. Makes me wonder if a good spot mite be in a 5 gal bucket wicking pot so they can sprawl all they want. Unless there are others growing nearby you mite need two plants for pollination. Mine are grown in the regular garden where space is not such a premium.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/22/2011, 12:43 am

After growing tomatillos in a regular row garden for a couple of years, this year we're going to try Aunt Molly's ground cherries. I plan to grow them in containers against the new deer fence, and see if I can train them up the fencing, which should be possible if they exhibit the same vining/sprawling tendency as the tomatillos.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/22/2011, 2:54 am

timwardell wrote:
beagle love wrote:This is my first garden, so not much advice to offer. I too bought two tomatillo transplants and they are doing well in the SFG. They have lots of flowers and I read the flowers attract bees Smile It gets pretty hot around here so the weather won't be an issue. This week it has been in the mid to high 80's.
Yes, if have flowers you will have bees. They just seem to show up. How do they know? Wink Good thing too since they will pollenate your plants. Would be very difficult to garden without them. (Why is there no bee emoticon? This is a gardening forum?) Hmmmmm.... :suspect:
Oh Tim,
Please send some honey bees my way. This year I even planted some flowers just for the bees and still I have only seen 4 all season Sad . The honey bees are missing Shocked
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  dianamarie03 5/22/2011, 8:39 pm

Does anyone know where I can get a ground cherry plant? It's much to late to start from seed but seed savers exchange is sold out. I'm not having much luck locally Sad
You guys got me learning about the plant and now I have to have one! Smile
dianamarie03

Female Posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 5/22/2011, 8:50 pm

I'm about 2 hours from you but I have an extra seedling if you ever come down this way! It's kind of spindly but doing okay. I planted 6 peat pots not knowing how well they would germinate. All 6 did great but I only had space reserved for 2 so I've been giving them away.
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  dianamarie03 5/22/2011, 10:14 pm

How generous of you GG! I have been wanting to go to Ikea anyway, I might see if my mother in law is up for a trip next weekend maybe and could be in the area to to meet somewhere? If that's possible I can check with her and let you know?

Warms my heart that some people are still so kind Smile Thank you for the offer.
dianamarie03

Female Posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 5/23/2011, 11:50 am

No problem! I will lovingly care for it until then!
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/28/2013, 12:08 pm

Who else is growing Ground Cherries this year? I got a pack of Aunt Molly's and will be my first time trying them:

Tomatillos 20130428_095159_zps64eba3dc

So far, my seedlings are doing great Tomatillos 3170584802

Tomatillos Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/28/2013, 12:25 pm

We grew Aunt Molly's Ground Cherries last year. I'm here to tell 'ya, they are very generous producers of fruit! This year we're trying Giant Cape ground cherries--just to compare fruit set, fruit size and flavor. Fun to experiment. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 4/28/2013, 12:36 pm

Are ground cherries different that tomatillos?

I'm doing tomatillos again--we make and freeze roasted tomatillo salsa--I can't get enough of it!
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/28/2013, 12:41 pm

jmsieglaff asks: "Are ground cherries different that tomatillos?"

Yes and no. Same family of plants, and both have husks around the fruit; but ground cherries are sweeter and usually used for jams, jellies, and desserts like pies, etc. Tomatillos, as you note, make wonderful salsas and savory dishes. Both are well worth growing if you have adequate space. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/28/2013, 12:44 pm

jmsieglaff wrote:Are ground cherries different that tomatillos?

I'm doing tomatillos again--we make and freeze roasted tomatillo salsa--I can't get enough of it!

They are in the same family, but different fruit Very Happy

Nonna, I will be very interested in the comparison. I also hope I have high yields for making preserves in the fall.

Tomatillos 20130428_103939_zps6c85b115

Tomatillos Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next