Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Skillet-baked cornbread - Page 2 Toplef10Skillet-baked cornbread - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Skillet-baked cornbread - Page 2 I22gcj10Skillet-baked cornbread - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Skillet-baked cornbread - Page 2 Toplef10Skillet-baked cornbread - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Skillet-baked cornbread - Page 2 I22gcj10Skillet-baked cornbread - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Skillet-baked cornbread

+14
CarolynPhillips
miinva
outsideasy
dixie
middlemamma
LaFee
bettyd_z7_va
ander217
Veggiequeen
donnainzone5
happyfrog
camprn
El
Megan
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Skillet-baked cornbread - Page 2 Empty Re: Skillet-baked cornbread

Post  outsideasy 1/22/2011, 8:32 pm

ander, I just made your cornbread as written, using veg oil as I didn't have bacon fat. I just want to say it is very good and just a little different than what I usually make. The only difference is the ratio of corn meal to flour, now it's time for corn bread and beans.
outsideasy

Male Posts : 103

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 1/22/2011, 11:57 pm

dixie, have you tried the book Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day?

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

They have a section about gluten-free that might be helpful. We've made five of the recipes so far and every one was incredibly delicious. My husband bought ingredients to try some of the gluten-free recipes so we'll be doing so soon. I'll try to remember to let you know how they are Smile
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/23/2011, 11:48 am

If you prefer the unsweetened cornbread and love the bacon and Must use a skillet----try lining the bottom of the skillet with bacon before you pour your batter in.
It must be done quickly since the skillet is hot and the bacon will start cooking right away. We also add bacon grease to the batter mix.
I guess there is thousands of cornbread recipes out there.

sweet tea- had to comment----I don't eat very many desserts maybe cause I get all
the sugar I need in my sweet tea and coffee. 3 cups sugar in 1 gal sweet tea.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Skillet-baked cornbread - Page 2 Empty Yum

Post  ander217 1/23/2011, 5:28 pm

outsideasy wrote:ander, I just made your cornbread as written, using veg oil as I didn't have bacon fat. I just want to say it is very good and just a little different than what I usually make. The only difference is the ratio of corn meal to flour, now it's time for corn bread and beans.

Glad you liked it. I used to make mine with more flour, but I found I preferred it with less. Hubby and I are doing the low-carb thing now, so it will be a while before I have cornbread and beans again. Have a piece for me, please.

Carolyn, as soon as we can add cornbread back to our eating, your recipe is one I will absolutely try. It sounds wonderful. My grandmother used to make cracklin' cornbread. That was some good eating.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 2/3/2011, 12:01 pm

Many black folks in the south put sugar in their cornbread. It's a tradition handed down from slavery times. Slave rations often consisted of meal, molasses, and random bits of pig that the ruling classes wouldn't dare eat. Hence, sweet cornbread cooked in bacon fat served with ham hocks or pigs feet and beans/peas (from their gardens).
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 2/3/2011, 12:46 pm

dizzygardener wrote:Many black folks in the south put sugar in their cornbread. It's a tradition handed down from slavery times. Slave rations often consisted of meal, molasses, and random bits of pig that the ruling classes wouldn't dare eat. Hence, sweet cornbread cooked in bacon fat served with ham hocks or pigs feet and beans/peas (from their gardens).

And dat is some good eatin' too. Mmmmmhmmmm. hungry drooling
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/3/2011, 1:42 pm

dizzygardener wrote:Many black folks in the south put sugar in their cornbread. It's a tradition handed down from slavery times. Slave rations often consisted of meal, molasses, and random bits of pig that the ruling classes wouldn't dare eat. Hence, sweet cornbread cooked in bacon fat served with ham hocks or pigs feet and beans/peas (from their gardens).

We can also thank them for hush puppies, little bits of cornbread thickened and fried to feed the dogs while walking from the kitchen to the main house, which were separated by a breeze way, saying hush puppy as they fed them pieces of this delight! I cannot imagine fried catfish without hush puppies.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 2/3/2011, 3:21 pm

kimbertangleknot wrote:

And dat is some good eatin' too. Mmmmmhmmmm. hungry drooling

Tell me about it! I could smell Sunday dinner at grandma's just typing it!

Anyway, my point was that there is a reason some folks (even southerners) put sugar in their cornbread and it has nothing to do with "them darned yanks". Further, it IS cornbread not johnnycake! Rolling Eyes
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 2/3/2011, 3:25 pm

Have you tried the "Boston Market Cornbread Muffin" recipe? Ohmygosh it's so good. You need 1 box of Jiffy cornbread mix and 1 box of Jiffy yellow cake mix (the individual boxes you can find in the baking isle). You mix them together, and add the ingredients from both boxes... So. Good.

It's a quick fix for people that don't have the cast iron skillets. It's sweet, soft, and oh so good with a pat of butter (or slab if your me) on it.
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 2/3/2011, 7:33 pm

kimbertangleknot wrote: It's sweet, soft, and oh so good with a pat of butter (or slab if your me) on it.

now your starting to sound like Paula Deen.
I am a butter eater too really bad. I use so much butter on cornbread that I started slicing the butter long ways instead of little squares at a time. Very Happy
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Skillet-baked cornbread - Page 2 Empty Mamaw's Corn Bread Recipe

Post  cautery 2/3/2011, 10:07 pm

Finally found my Mamaw's recipe tonight....

1-3/4 Cup Corn Meal
1/4 Cup Flour
2 Eggs
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
2 tablespoons Cooking Oil
1-1/2 Cups Buttermilk
1 teaspoon (dash) Salt

(Note: My Mamaw didn't use measuring utensils for dry ingredients under about 1/4 cup.... She used her slightly cupped palm and a table knife. I use my palm too (she taught me how to cook.) I have used more conventional measurements here.) Laughing

Pre-heat** a well-cured iron skillet sufficient to hold contents and containing just enough "bacon drippings" to form a small "halo" of grease around rim of batter when batter is carefully poured into center of skillet. (An even rim crust is one criteria for rating a pan of cornbread... and thus the cook's skill.) Bake 20 minutes, or until the rim crust is slightly more than "golden brown", and the center section begins to show slight "cracking" or "creasing".

**Pre-heat and cook temperature are highly dependent on individual oven performance. The only way to know the temp is to make many batches in YOUR oven... (It's a whole other discussion as to how you determine the "right" temp.)

My Mamaw and the children and grandchildren she taught to cook were/are all VERY serious about making proper cornbread. Very Happy

Enjoy!
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 2/3/2011, 11:47 pm

CarolynPhillips wrote:
kimbertangleknot wrote: It's sweet, soft, and oh so good with a pat of butter (or slab if your me) on it.

now your starting to sound like Paula Deen.
I am a butter eater too really bad. I use so much butter on cornbread that I started slicing the butter long ways instead of little squares at a time. Very Happy

Oh gosh... I never thought to do that. My hubby's gonna kill me now.. well if the butter doesn't do it first Very Happy
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/5/2011, 9:20 am

This is a great bit of history and heritage, dizzygardener. Thank you for sharing it with us. (Could it be that this is why in the north, we tend to eat sweeter cornbread?)
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/5/2011, 10:06 am

One of my grandmother's, preferred a bit of sugar in her cornbread, and drank buttermilk with it. Her mother's people (I think) hail from Kentucky, some ways back along the line. Sugar was a luxury, so if I remember correctly, adding a bit of sugar to their cornbread was a way of having their favorite bread, but a sweeter version, kinda like having your cake and eating it too.... I got to meet 2 great grandmother's, and oh the memories, I went to spend a few days each summer with my dad's mom, and she would take me to her mother's to spend a day or two, all by myself. I would sleep on the floor on a feather tick, get up to watch great grandpa make his own shaving cream, listen to stories about the great depression. MMMM, I'm getting hungry for some cornbread, better get my stuff out, oh, I prefer it w/o sugar, I'm sweet enough.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  cautery 2/5/2011, 10:45 am

Ah yes.... cornbread and buttermilk. I never acquired a taste for the stuff beyond cooking with it, but my Papaw LOVED to eat the left-over cold cornbread (when there was any... Wink ) by crumbling it into a big glass of cold buttermilk. Looked absolutely awful, but he treated it like a dessert.

Mamaw was from a relatively "well-to-do" family of tobacco farmers in Kentucky (Pratt), and Papaw came from South Mississippi... near Columbia.
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/5/2011, 11:57 am

That's exactly how my grandmother ate it, crumbled in her buttermilk. She had a smile on her face I'll never forget, I could tell it took her back to her childhood, kinda link drinking soda through a Twizzlers with both ends bitten off does for me.

Isn't it neat how our histories are intertwined with all kinds of places and people. I need to take a trip to Illinois and get my hands on some family records.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum