Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Peas, please. Toplef10Peas, please. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Peas, please. I22gcj10Peas, please. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Peas, please. Toplef10Peas, please. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Peas, please. I22gcj10Peas, please. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Peas, please.

4 posters

Go down

Peas, please. Empty Peas, please.

Post  The Cat's Other Mother 11/13/2010, 11:05 pm

I spent a few hours today clearing out my boxes to cover till Spring, and I had to take out my second try at growing peas. This time did slightly better, so clearly peas prefer cooler weather, but still I only got a few seed pods. What I planted was Ferry Morse's 'Alaska' peas. The handful I got was tasty, but if I plant peas next year, I'd like a better producing variety. Recommendations?
The Cat's Other Mother

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Peas, please. Empty Re: Peas, please.

Post  Megan 11/14/2010, 12:24 am

My peas did not do well at all this spring, either, and I thought I had a fairly bomb-proof variety -- Lincoln. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say, too!
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Peas, please. Empty Pea probs

Post  ander217 11/14/2010, 6:17 am

I've grown peas for years in my row garden and never had a problem. This year's first time to grow them in SFG was dismal. First, we had a bad growing year for most things, early on, and they just simply sat there in their box and didn't grow for the longest time. When they finally took off it was too hot for them to do well. Peas need cool temps.

But I think the big thing I forgot was that legumes such as peas and beans need nitrogen-fixing microbes in the soil to produce well. Once peas are grown in a spot, they produce their own so the next legume crop grown in that spot will be fine. I don't think the compost I used in my MM was very good and it probably didn't have any natural legume microbes already in it. Next year I plan to purchase seed inoculant for all of my peas and beans to see if that makes a difference in yield. (It comes as a powdery substance that you stir into the seed before planting. I believe it is considered organic but you can google for more info.) One study says it boosted yields by over 70 percent.

Alaska peas are a smooth-seeded variety which means they are very cold hardy for northern gardeners and can be planted earlier. I have planted them but I found them to be less sweet than wrinkle-seeded varieties, and they didn't produce as well for me. My favorite variety is the same as Megan's - Lincoln. It's a fairly short variety that works well in SFG boxes, has an excellent flavor, and I've always been able to count on it to produce a good crop until this year. (I used to plant two rows six inches apart and let them use the other row for support. They grew to around three feet with this method. This year I grew them next to a 4-ft. hog panel fence and they eventually grew to about four feet with the higher support.) I think Boffer and some of the others prefer the old Alderman or Telephone pole types that grow to six or seven feet and need tall supports. They produce very long pods filled with large peas. Lincoln is considered a medium variety which grows to around three or four feet, and there are also dwarf varieties which remain at three feet or less.

The only change I plan to make next year is using seed inoculant. I hope it makes a difference.

ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 11/14/2010, 2:28 pm

I have Alaska growing right now and they are looking pretty good. Seem to have a lot of pods. So we shall see.

You best bet is to go to a seed catalog and read. If a variety is an unusually proficient producer it generally says so.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Peas, please. Empty Alaska peas

Post  ander217 11/15/2010, 7:20 am

My mother grew Alaska peas and nothing else. She preferred their "starchier" flavor and small size. My grandmother only grew Little Marvel. Even though the pods were smaller than some of the large varieties she preferred their flavor to all others. To me, Little Marvel has a hint of an aftertaste that I don't care for.

Personally, I found that Alaska did not continue to produce as long as other varieties. Perhaps good MM will make a difference with that, or maybe our temps heated up too quickly here. It seemed to be more sensitive to heat than other varieties.

I tried several varieties and decided I liked Lincoln best. The main reasons I didn't like Alaska, - not as sweet, smaller peas - were the reasons my mother preferred them.

Vive la difference!

ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum