Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from Denver Colorado! Toplef10Hi from Denver Colorado! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from Denver Colorado! I22gcj10Hi from Denver Colorado! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from Denver Colorado! Toplef10Hi from Denver Colorado! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from Denver Colorado! I22gcj10Hi from Denver Colorado! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi from Denver Colorado!

+2
Megan
trinabambina
6 posters

Go down

Hi from Denver Colorado! Empty Hi from Denver Colorado!

Post  trinabambina 10/27/2010, 5:32 pm

Hi and thanks for all the great things I have already learned by reading on the boards for awhile!

My kids and I (5, 6 & 8 years old) did our first SFG this year and it was a blast! It kind of got out of hand when the pole beans climbed the corn and between them and the dipper gourds, they basically took over the garden, but we still got lots of yummy things to eat and were able to put up bread and butter pickles, eat LOTS of green beans and have beets, carrots, edamame, acorn and butternut squash plus herbs to eat.

Trying to figure out what to do now for the winter here in zone five. I would love to put in garlic, leeks, onions, and winter greens, etc....but don't know if I am too late to plant? Do I have to have a cover of some kind (not happening this year) or will they make it on their own? Do I need to put down a good layer of compost and cover with plastic...I just really have no idea where to go right now! And I read that I need to water...of course...but how do you all do that when any hoses left out freeze solid?!?! Do you hand water?

Feeling like I want to give up and maybe do it next year, but don't really want to give up, just because I am not sure about what to do....any ideas? :idea:

Oh, you seasoned gardeners will get a kick out of this! All through the end of the summer, I was cutting this gorgeous parsley for things I was cooking, and was so proud of my garden...come to find out last week, when I went to pull it all before the first freeze, that I had been adding carrot tops to all my recipes!! Laughing I guess it helps to actually look at the planting grid sometimes, eh?!
trinabambina

Back to top Go down

Hi from Denver Colorado! Empty Re: Hi from Denver Colorado!

Post  Megan 10/27/2010, 7:44 pm

Greetings trinabambina, welcome to the forum! glad you\'re here and congratulations on your first year of SFG'ing!

It was mine too, and I also had a blast. Pole beans are pretty aggressive, aren't they?? So much fun. I am STILL shucking mine, lol.

For winter greens and so forth: It's only seed, so why not give it a try? I am going to be planting onions and garlic on towards Thanskgiving (I already put in a few) but I am in a warmer zone than you are. Maybe someone more familiar with your area can help out. I am just going to plant it. If I haven't shut off my hoses by then, I'll give them some water, otherwise I'll just let them be. Smile
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/27/2010, 8:08 pm

I'm in zone 5a and the only thing I have in the garden that I expect to live through the harsh 4-5 month winter that we can have here is garlic. I may try some of those potato onions.
I have a covered bed that I seeded a month ago with spring onion, spinach, black seeded simpson lettuce and radishes. I expect that bed to be done within the month, I may be able to stretch it into December (fingers crossed).

I will seed my leeks, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage and kale indoors in March for outdoor placement in late April when the soil has loosened up.

This Autumn I will be clearing out the beds of all leftover debris and add compost, mix it in the box with my garden fork and let it rest. I will not be covering the boxes.

You do not need to water your garden in winter unless you are going to be ice skating on it. Very Happy Hi from Denver Colorado! 809111

Take a look at this book. http://desertverde.com/2010/02/16/solar-gardening/ Solar Gardening. When I was 13 my dad took me to the Poisson's home in March and their gardens were so productive and amazing.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Hi from Denver Colorado! Empty Ice skating!!!

Post  trinabambina 10/27/2010, 8:26 pm

Now THAT's an idea! Ice skating! The kids would just love that! And we could build a ramp off the high end and build a circuit....oh, the creative juices are flowing now!!

thanks
trinabambina

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 10/28/2010, 1:12 pm

Welcome to the forum. I'm a first year SFG'r too & I have had so much fun with it. I tell DH quite often how much I have enjoyed my garden & all the work he did for me. Good luck with fall planting, but as mentioned, it's only seed & would be worth a try. I personally wouldn't buy "expensive" garlic from the seed houses, if I doubted it would make it thru the winter, but you could try grocery store garlic.

Again, welcome.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 10/28/2010, 6:05 pm

From what I've read here, grocery store garlic is often treated so as not to sprout (can someone verify?) but it's worth a shot!
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 10/28/2010, 7:55 pm

Potatoes are usually treated, but not garlic, at least not in our area. I have a big patch of it I planted this summer & it's growing great. I picked out some huge ones at Walmart, but don't know what variety they are. I meant not getting the "expensive" kind as in 8.95 a lb. I also ordered from We Grow Garlic since they sell by the bulb. There's a long thread somewhere here, but I didn't search.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 10/29/2010, 12:39 pm

[quote="trinabambina"]Hi and thanks for all the great things I have already learned by reading on the boards for awhile!

Howdy Trina and a great big Welcome to the Forum.

My kids and I (5, 6 & 8 years old) did our first SFG this year and it was a blast!

It is so great when the kids are involved and enjoy the garden.

And I read that I need to water...of course...but how do you all do that when any hoses left out freeze solid?!?! Do you hand water?

If you need to water, the hose can be drained by running the hose down hill until the last of the water has drained out and then the hose can be rolled up and put away. Generally in winter we water well a couple of days before a hard freeze and then cover with mulch. Seems to work.

Feeling like I want to give up and maybe do it next year, but don't really want to give up, just because I am not sure about what to do....any ideas? :idea:

Don't give up. Plant something, anything and see what happens. Seed is cheap.

Oh, you seasoned gardeners will get a kick out of this!

I was eating my salad at work which was made from the lettuce, carrots, spinach, tomatoes and cabbage from the garden when a very colorful leaf showed up. It turned out to be a small maple leaf with bright reds and yellows. Yep, I ate it too!

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Hi from Denver Colorado! Empty Welcome

Post  ander217 10/29/2010, 1:16 pm

trinabambina wrote:
Oh, you seasoned gardeners will get a kick out of this! All through the end of the summer, I was cutting this gorgeous parsley for things I was cooking, and was so proud of my garden...come to find out last week, when I went to pull it all before the first freeze, that I had been adding carrot tops to all my recipes!! Laughing I guess it helps to actually look at the planting grid sometimes, eh?!

Do you by any chance have a sister living in Idaho named Middlemama? Smile (Love ya', Jennie.)

Welcome to the forum, Trinabambina. It sounds as though you did great for your first year. glad you\'re here
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down