Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Putting raised beds to bed for the winter? Toplef10Putting raised beds to bed for the winter? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Putting raised beds to bed for the winter? I22gcj10Putting raised beds to bed for the winter? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Putting raised beds to bed for the winter? Toplef10Putting raised beds to bed for the winter? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Putting raised beds to bed for the winter? I22gcj10Putting raised beds to bed for the winter? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Putting raised beds to bed for the winter?

+4
ander217
Chopper
Icemaiden
auggiesmom
8 posters

Go down

Putting raised beds to bed for the winter? Empty Putting raised beds to bed for the winter?

Post  auggiesmom 10/26/2010, 11:47 am

hi everyone,
Winter is fast approaching and wondering what to do with my SFG beds? i have 8 8x4 beds, and am lazy!

should i grow cover crops? add compost? compost only in spring?

I think the winter will be a cold, snowy one here in N. Idado.

I like the idea of cover crops but don't like the idea of hand tilling them under. Also, i think we aren't supposed to till in the beds anyway? kills all the good stuff going on underground? Rolling Eyes
auggiesmom

Back to top Go down

Putting raised beds to bed for the winter? Empty Re: Putting raised beds to bed for the winter?

Post  Icemaiden 10/26/2010, 12:50 pm

Hi

I only have two 4x4 beds so not a huge problem for me.

One bed has various herbs, garlic, and strawberry plants (and a few vacant squares which will get more strawberry plants in the spring) so I covered the whole lot with a sort of cold frame add-on.

The other one has a few carrots and parsnips still lingering. As soon as they are pulled I will cover that bed with agricultural fleece/acrylic to keep some of the rain off.
Job done! Very Happy
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Putting raised beds to bed for the winter? Empty Re: Putting raised beds to bed for the winter?

Post  Chopper 10/26/2010, 5:44 pm

auggiesmom wrote:hi everyone,
Winter is fast approaching and wondering what to do with my SFG beds? i have 8 8x4 beds, and am lazy!

should i grow cover crops? add compost? compost only in spring?

There are people doing cover crops, but I would not choose to do that because of the tilling as you said. Awkward in a raised bed. If you add compost now it will probably settle by spring, which is fine, just know you may want to add more but nutrient-wise I think either time is fine. The main thing you want to be aware of is if you leave your beds uncovered, they will welcome any weed/tree/other seed that may go flying by and will provide it with the perfect growing medium. So unless you want a maple farm among your lettuces it would be worth covering with something.

My two cents - probably worth about half that. Very Happy
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Putting raised beds to bed for the winter? Empty Our beds

Post  ander217 10/27/2010, 8:57 am

We have several 4' x 10' beds and as they get emptied from this year's plants we cover them with a layer of composted rice hulls and manure. We hope that by spring they will be ready to plant as is. That mixture isn't as soft as MM but it still doesn't require tilling or digging in. If needed we can scatter some bone meal and a little epsom salts over it when planting.

ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Putting raised beds to bed for the winter? Empty Putting my beds to sleep for the winter

Post  SuzieQ 11/9/2010, 9:19 pm

Hello Square Foot Gardeners!
Does anyone have any suggestions on what works best for my raised beds for the winter months? I have cleaned off all my beds. Does any one suggest to cover with straw or leaves? Our winters here n South Dakota are cold and windy and we have considerable amounts of snowfall. I so wish it were spring all over again. I appreciate any ideas what has worked best for my fellow square foot gardeners.

thanks SuzieQ
SuzieQ
SuzieQ

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 11/10/2010, 12:36 am

SuzieQ, if you have substantial winds, and try to cover with straw or leaves, will they remain in the the garden?
You might want to consider 6 mil poly, in clear and be sure to use something along the perimeter to prevent the poly from blowing away. You might use rocks, bricks, branches or other heavy items that you can place all along the edges. In addition to keeping the garden free of debris and seeds, the poly will allow your SFG bed to warm earlier in the Spring. Good Luck!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  WJB 11/10/2010, 11:30 am

Just bought 6mil plastic. But black. Is clear better to cover for winter? Haven't used the black yet, so I'm sure Lowes would be happy to see me bring it back tomorrow and trade for clear...if there is a difference...
WJB
WJB

Female Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 11/10/2010, 12:48 pm

I'm one of the gardeners who is using a cover crop this year. I'll let you know how that works for next year.

I'm reading Weedless Gardening by Lee Reich and find it fascinating. With SFG it should work well for a weedless method. You do NOT dig down into your soil but spread your organic soil amendments lightly on top (like bloodmeal, bonemeal, etc), then add an inch or so of good compost and mulch right on top and let nature work ii in gradually.

If you sow a fall cover crop, you cut it down to the ground in the spring, do not dig it or till it. The roots will expire below and make great channels for distribution of soil components and rain.

The idea is that the dormant weed seeds embedded in the soil are brought to the top with tilling or double digging (also a no-no) and allowed to germinate and spread. If you don't want that to happen, just cut your cover crops off at soil level and leave the greens to die. The greens left on top do not rob your soil of nitrogen but rather add nitrogen as they decompose. You plant your seeds or transplants right thru any compost or natural mulch like straw, grasses, weed-free hay, that's on top of the soil.
Putting raised beds to bed for the winter? 10-11-10
Here's some winter rye growing in one of my beds with rosemary, lemon balm, and marigolds. It might be better to sow a cover crop that dies back itself from winter's cold than winter rye, but I'll let you know next spring how this worked for me.

Weedless Gardening is a good book. I plan to use its wisdom based on what Mother Nature does normally. It's a very informative. I recommend it to any gardener as very good reading.

quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down