Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi From Mid-Michigan Toplef10Hi From Mid-Michigan 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi From Mid-Michigan I22gcj10Hi From Mid-Michigan 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi From Mid-Michigan Toplef10Hi From Mid-Michigan 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi From Mid-Michigan I22gcj10Hi From Mid-Michigan 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi From Mid-Michigan

+2
jinx
victoria1555
6 posters

Go down

Hi From Mid-Michigan Empty Hi From Mid-Michigan

Post  victoria1555 3/2/2010, 2:05 pm

Hi, I'm Vicki from Mid-Michigan, near the thumb area, new to this forum but not new to SFG. I did not have much time back in the 80's to have more than one or two SFG boxes and out of habit/lack of time, etc, went back to my farmer dad's methods: gardening in rows.
I saw the new copy of All New Square Foot Gardening yesterday at my local farm store and snatched it right up. After reading the first few chapters I'm beginning to think this is the answer to all my problems. I live in an area of the state where it is mostly poor sand and over the years have mixed in hundreds of soil amendments to no avail. Compost just seemed to disappear as well. Since our old rototiller fell apart, I knew I was facing the purchase of new one this year and since I am in my mid-50's, I knew it was going to be very expensive if I wanted a model that I would be able to handle myself. Now I am thinking I will take that money and put it into supplies for SFG boxes. Looking forward to reading many posts here.
victoria1555

Female Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Hi From Mid-Michigan Empty Hey Vicki!

Post  jinx 3/2/2010, 2:18 pm

Thanks for your thoughts on cost comparison. I've been working on laying out my very first garden and the cost of building boxes and filling them had gotten me down. Since you've pointed out the expensive tools needed for single row gardening maybe the one time cost of boxes and Mel's mix isn't really that bad after all. You've brightened my outlook a little today, Thanks again!

Jenn ~ Northern Davis County, UT
jinx
jinx

Female Posts : 99

Back to top Go down

Hi From Mid-Michigan Empty Re: Hi From Mid-Michigan

Post  boffer 3/2/2010, 2:52 pm

You know what they say: "Do it right the first time, and only cry once!"

Box materials can be scrounged, and they don't have to be lumber. Blocks, bricks, rocks, RR ties, coffee cans filled with rocks or dirt-get creative.

My neighbor got a bunch of used garage doors for free. That's what he uses for frames.

Putting together Mel's soil mix can get pricey, but it's basically a lifetime investment. Very cheap in the long run.

SFG is the only way to garden
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/2/2010, 5:02 pm

greetings vicki i'm down outside jackson mi. this 'll b my first try at sfg heres a thought the wife brought home like 6 "pairs" of by-fold doors from the habitat for humanity in town for like a dollar a pair. 2 of them might turn inta a couple of planting beds Hi From Mid-Michigan Lol

boog
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Theresa 3/3/2010, 9:27 am

Hi victoria Hi From Mid-Michigan Action-smiley-030

Welcome to the SFG forum!

It's great to get ideas from the other members, especially when it SAVES MONEY!
Theresa

FOUNDER SFG forum 2009

certified SFG instructor

Female Posts : 211

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/4/2010, 9:13 am

Hey Vic! I am also new to the 50's but have a lifetime of gardening. Most of that experience came in a huge French-intensive garden my husband and I kept in a Mountain Valley in Washington State. He ran the heavy equipment, put in the fence posts and gaits ran the rototiller in the spring and fall, I poked seeds into the dirt and plucked weeds. He ran the lawn mower; I spread the clippings and turned the compost. Oh.... he put in time at a factory job to pay for everything too. These days I have too many issues to spend a day on my hands and knees. Since moving to town, most of my gardening has been in pots because of crummy weed infested soil and terriers. Everything came together this year and we are SFG.

I though the price of the box was the least of the expenses. The fabric that goes under is wildly expensive. The package has enough to make multiple boxes. Vermiculite was another crazy expensive purchase. It does look like I will get three to four boxes filled with the bag we bought. I have two little compost bins that were given to me by a wild life sanctuary that my son used to work for. They were just too small for all the bedding and droppings they had to compost but they work great for me. Beautiful black compost mostly from lawn clippings, weeding and the kitchen. I figure we spent about $5.25 per square foot, not counting the cost of seed. I think that price can be halved every year that we use the boxes again.

Deborah ….trying to wrap her head around being a crone instead of a babe in the PNW
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 3/5/2010, 7:23 am

i'm so glad you found that book! when i was reading gardening books a couple years ago after birth of third living kid, the sfg book made the most sense to me - esp since i always thought i didn't have a green thumb. turns out, my thumb IS green, the ground was brown. . . *grin*

you're gonna LOVE sfg!! we sure do here! we spent about $150 last year to set up our initial boxes (equiv of 3 4x4's) and we spent about $200 LESS on produce last summer . . so it was a win win for us. this year, we're planning on doubling our space and seeing if we can elim all produce purchases (except things like tropical fruits and berries - as we don't have any berry plants of any kind yet - but i want a strawberry pyramid something fierce! but i don't expect good production for a year or so. . )
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum