Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
A look back at Spring/Summer 2010 Toplef10A look back at Spring/Summer 2010 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

A look back at Spring/Summer 2010 I22gcj10A look back at Spring/Summer 2010 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
A look back at Spring/Summer 2010 Toplef10A look back at Spring/Summer 2010 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

A look back at Spring/Summer 2010 I22gcj10A look back at Spring/Summer 2010 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

A look back at Spring/Summer 2010

3 posters

Go down

A look back at Spring/Summer 2010 Empty A look back at Spring/Summer 2010

Post  LaFee 10/17/2010, 11:58 am

Hi, all --

Yep, it's a mid-month post from me...try not to fall over in surprise.

So...how did your spring and summer garden go? Success? Failure? Lessons learned?

Radishes: runaway success until the weather got hot. Fat, juicy radishes were SO good, and it was the encouragement needed to have something jump out of the ground so fast, so early in the spring.

Carrots: Delicious, but they took their own sweet time, and I got impatient and pulled them.

Corn: One of the few failures. Nice big tall, healthy plants, but of 6 ears that formed, I lost 3 to smut, one didn't develop a single kernel, one didn't develop enough to even bother cooking and eating, and the last one developed about halfway before something ate half of the developed kernels. I'll try again next year with a different variety - an early-season hybrid, which should help a little bit.

Basil -- wonderful basil...a little smaller than I'd hoped, but okay.

Pumpkins: Two small jack o'lantern pumpkins, neither big enough to carve. Vine succumbed to powdery mildew.

Broccoli: would have been a runaway success had I been here when it was ready to harvest. Instead it went to seed, and sent up a few anemic secondary heads, but not enough to even feed one person. (I munched one raw and it was tasty). Trying again for fall, and will plant again next year.

Green beans -- wonderful, but got lost in the tomatoes! I planted 1/square and should have at least doubled that.

Sweet peas - fabulous, bore plenty of peas...will plant more of those, too.

Tomatoes -- oh my heavens, the tomatoes. I had 4 6-footers just hanging heavy with fruit, and they were SOOO good! Wasn't paying attention and lost the whole lot to late blight, but late enough that I consider the tomatoes to be the biggest success.

Cucumbers -- developed 4 leaves, got to 3" tall, and stopped.

Watermelon -- 2 leaves and stopped.

Canteloup -- 4 leaves and stopped.

(Obviously there's an issue here with curcubits....will be doing some more homework over the winter and seeing what I need to do to get it up to speed next year!)

Lettuce: Dang the frat-boy slugs (tm) and the cutworms -- next year I spray Bt at the first sign of their rowdy hides, and probably put some food out for the resident hedgehogs close to my SFG. Everybody here kept saying to put out a dish of cat food or milk for them, as they like that in ADDITION to the slugs and snails...and I'm apparently a slow learner. The lettuce I had was delicious, though!

jalapenos -- are still under fleece, as I have 8 or 9 jalapenos that are still hanging tough...Hoping for salsa, even if it I have to buy tomatoes at this point. (Good news is there's a tomato grower at our local market).

Fall is a "hey, let's see what happens" -- I don't have any enormous expectations, so I can't be too disappointed!

My radishes, lettuce, spinach, and cauliflower are already sprouting...so we'll see how it works!
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

A look back at Spring/Summer 2010 Empty Re: A look back at Spring/Summer 2010

Post  Mirjam 10/18/2010, 11:43 am

we've had our first frosts at night lately, here in Holland, so gardening will now officially be over, I guess...
have to run now, but I will be back to document my successes and failures this week, I promise Very Happy

Mirjam
Mirjam

Female Posts : 151

http://mirjamroos.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

A look back at Spring/Summer 2010 Empty New Chinese zodiac character

Post  ander217 10/18/2010, 12:53 pm

I should petition the Chinese to add a new animal to their zodiac. 2010 should definitely be known there as the Year of the Vole.

It was a rough year for us to be trying a new gardening method with high heat and humidity, drought, voles, and more insect pests than I've ever seen. Still, we had some great successes, including most of our early spring crops (at least the ones that the voles didn't get), summer crops of tomatoes, okra, sweet potatoes, catnip, zinnias, parsley, and watermelons, and a very happy fall garden growing nice crops of broccoli, collards, Tendergreen, mustard greens, green beans, radishes, turnips, basil, fennel, kale, arugula, head lettuce, nasturtiums, improved horticulture beans, and jalapenoes.

We had some so-so crops and some dismal failures, such as both early and late plantings of corn. But we are ever hopeful next year will be better.

"No more voles! No more voles! No more voles! No more voles..."
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

A look back at Spring/Summer 2010 Empty Re: A look back at Spring/Summer 2010

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down