Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello, from Utah Toplef10Hello, from Utah 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello, from Utah I22gcj10Hello, from Utah 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello, from Utah Toplef10Hello, from Utah 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello, from Utah I22gcj10Hello, from Utah 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello, from Utah

+2
Megan
ander217
6 posters

Go down

Hello, from Utah Empty Hello, from Utah

Post  ander217 9/29/2010, 4:39 pm

Hi, everyone, I'm visiting our younger daughter's family in the Salt Lake City area, and I'll be here for the next week and a half, babysitting. I've really been noticing the differences in the garden season here from back home - I saw irises and strawberries blooming in someone's yard yesterday - we saw the last of those in June at home.

I'm looking out the patio door over the valley, seeing my daughter's 4' x 4' SFG box. She was so excited to pick her first large tomato last week - too bad she had to leave for a work conference and had to refrigerate it until she gets back. (I hope the flavor isn't totally ruined.) She said her neighbors told her you can't grow tomatoes in this area of Utah, but she decided to chance it. They were snowed on one night after she planted them, but it melted quickly and they came through it fine. She was very happy to harvest a few fruits from her vines before cold weather comes.

Any other SFG'ers out there from the lower foothills around SLC? Do you grow tomatoes?
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Hello, from Utah Empty Re: Hello, from Utah

Post  Megan 10/3/2010, 11:56 am

Hey Ander! So glad to hear from you, I've missed you. Enjoy your visit! flower
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Hello, from Utah Empty Snails!

Post  ander217 10/3/2010, 8:57 pm

Thanks, Megan. I probably won't have much time to check in after today - grandson is having his tonsils out tomorrow.

I picked another tomato from daughter's SFG yesterday and I've now seen first-hand what others from the western regions have complained about - snails! Ugh. There was a beautiful, ripe tomato barely touching the ground and when I went to pick it, I saw the whole bottom and inside had been eaten out, and there was a snail all curled up inside, happily munching away. I crunched him on the sidewalk with my shoe. At least that's one critter we don't have to contend with in our Missouri garden. Daughter has several large tomatoes beginning to ripen as well as some jalapenos.

She purchased her box as a complete kit from Mel's store in Ogden, and it has worked well for her. I felt really silly this morning. I had been watering her garden all last week while she was away, carrying a bucket of water from the house. I mentioned to her that I needed to water it again today and she laughed as she told me they have automatic lawn sprinklers, and one is positioned to water her garden every other night. Ah, well, I needed the exercise anyway. Smile

ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  herbarium 10/4/2010, 11:19 am

I just now saw your message.
I live in Bountiful - just north of Salt Lake City. I have not had trouble growing tomatoes here or anywhere I have lived including Alaska. Why did the neighbors say tomatoes cannot be grown there?
herbarium

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 150

http://gardeninspire.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 10/4/2010, 11:51 am

LOL me too, right after I posted in this thread

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/seed-exchange-and-growing-info-f29/agricultural-forecasts-t4251.htm#33196

I punched in the zips for Bountiful and SLC, and they both came back well over 3000 GDDs for the year so far. I would guess that your daughter must live in a very localized, geographical anomaly if tomatoes can't be grown. Or, the neighbors are pulling her leg for some reason?!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 10/4/2010, 12:30 pm

Seems like Utah summers would be pretty close to what tomatoes like best, warm days with cool nights. Seems like as long as she picks a variety that matures within the right time frame she should be golden. She might not have enough time to grow big beefsteaks, but any of the "early" varieties ought to do well. Maybe a tomato expert can enlighten us more.

I think the neighbors were just uninformed, or didn't pick the right variety, or giving her a hard time.
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 10/4/2010, 1:59 pm

ander217 wrote:
I felt really silly this morning. I had been watering her garden all last week while she was away, carrying a bucket of water from the house. I mentioned to her that I needed to water it again today and she laughed as she told me they have automatic lawn sprinklers, and one is positioned to water her garden every other night. Ah, well, I needed the exercise anyway. Smile

Wow a first! Someone to take care of a garden who actually does it!
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Hello, from Utah Empty tomatoes

Post  ander217 10/4/2010, 6:49 pm

boffer wrote:LOL me too, right after I posted in this thread

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/seed-exchange-and-growing-info-f29/agricultural-forecasts-t4251.htm#33196

I punched in the zips for Bountiful and SLC, and they both came back well over 3000 GDDs for the year so far. I would guess that your daughter must live in a very localized, geographical anomaly if tomatoes can't be grown. Or, the neighbors are pulling her leg for some reason?!

I don't really know. She told me her neighbors told her that cherry tomatoes grow well here, but no one seems to be able to raise large tomatoes. She lives in what she calls the "bench" area of Sandy. (I was calling it the lower foothills.) She thought her neighbors were serious when they told her that large tomatoes don't do well here. The variety she is having success with is German Johnson. I'm not familiar with them but I remember seeing them at Baker Creek. They taste like a good, old-fashioned, slightly tart tomato, and they are really meaty with few seeds.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down