Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First time trying fall carrots - and my first carrot! Toplef10First time trying fall carrots - and my first carrot! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First time trying fall carrots - and my first carrot! I22gcj10First time trying fall carrots - and my first carrot! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First time trying fall carrots - and my first carrot! Toplef10First time trying fall carrots - and my first carrot! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First time trying fall carrots - and my first carrot! I22gcj10First time trying fall carrots - and my first carrot! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

First time trying fall carrots - and my first carrot!

+5
Chopper
quiltbea
Blackrose
Garden Angel
akameswaran
9 posters

Go down

First time trying fall carrots - and my first carrot! Empty First time trying fall carrots - and my first carrot!

Post  akameswaran 9/29/2010, 12:59 pm

First time trying fall carrots - and my first carrot! Img00010

So here is my first carrot. I'm pretty happy with the results for the first time trying a fall crop. Very crisp and sweet, I'll definitely plant the same variety next year. It's all I can do not to pull the rest out, just to see if the rest are this nice, but I only need one carrot for now.

For those who are curious, I planted those carrots on July 4th weekend, in pure Mel's Mix.
The variety is Autumn King, that I got from GourmetSeeds.com. Great people there by the way, and this was a variety they recommended for a fall planting.

akameswaran

Back to top Go down

First time trying fall carrots - and my first carrot! Empty Re: First time trying fall carrots - and my first carrot!

Post  Garden Angel 9/29/2010, 1:05 pm

What a yummy looking carrot ! I know carrots can be planted pretty much all year around but wasn't thinking of a fall variety, I just planted some that are suppose to be a true baby carrot variety , wish me luck!
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

First time trying fall carrots - and my first carrot! Empty Re: First time trying fall carrots - and my first carrot!

Post  akameswaran 9/29/2010, 1:07 pm

I definitely wish you luck. And if you have success, you'll have to let me know the variety.

I also got a variety called little finger, which are also a true baby carrot. But I haven't pulled them up yet. They were started one week after the autumn king.

akameswaran

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 9/29/2010, 1:28 pm

I planted some little fingers in the spring, but haven't pulled them yet. We're going to get a frost here soon, I think and I read that the carrots get sweeter if they are left until after the first frost.

First time trying fall carrots - and my first carrot! Carrots-54
Not as good as boffer's dancing carrot, but he's cute! Razz
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 9/29/2010, 1:32 pm

That's a great carrot. I hope it tastes as good as it looks.

All my varieties, Mokum, Nantes, and Napoli were great for flavor.

quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  akameswaran 9/29/2010, 1:39 pm

I can confirm - it was very tasty on the salad the wife and I had for lunch.

Now if only there were a crouton tree - I could have my entire salad from the garden.
akameswaran

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/29/2010, 1:42 pm

Gorgeous carrot. Everyone complained awhile ago about carrots being the slow growers of the garden. That was true for me in the spring but the later summer planting has grown relatively quickly and they are good color and size and flavor. It will be interesting to see how the ones I planted this month do.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kshimpi 9/29/2010, 2:25 pm

cool carrot! How do you know when carrots are ready to be harvested?

Kristan
kshimpi
kshimpi

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 9/29/2010, 2:34 pm

Some of my carrots pushed their shoulders above the soil, so I could see what size they were.

If yours are staying under the covers, either gently brush some soil aside (don't forget to cover them back up) or poke around in the soil with your fingers.

You're not waiting for them to get ripe, so pull them whenever you think they're big enough (or like me, you get tired of waiting for them....)
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  kshimpi 9/29/2010, 2:44 pm

thanks, I just planted my seeds on August 22nd, so I have a while :-)
kshimpi
kshimpi

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 9/29/2010, 2:49 pm

I just remove a bit of soil around the base and see how big are the shoulders. You can harvest them as baby carrots when they are really small or big ones so it depends on what you want.

Push the carrot DOWN first to lossen the roots, then pull up on the greenery. That way you won't break off the carrot.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  akameswaran 9/29/2010, 3:07 pm

None of my carrots show their shoulders, so I've been simply poking lightly around to feel if they tops have gotten big.

I didn't know about pushing them down first! That's a great tip, as I would have liked to have the greens intact for the pic.

Anybody do anything fun with carrot greens? All I can think to do is add them to the compost. Fun doesn't mean edible, although if they are so much the better.
akameswaran

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/29/2010, 11:02 pm

clap
Very nice Carrot
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/29/2010, 11:07 pm

I tried GourmetSeeds.com and it must be Down.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/29/2010, 11:08 pm

I had a carrot with a nice broad healthy looking shoulder. I pulled it and only the shoulder was wide, the rest was skinny and short. LOL.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/29/2010, 11:24 pm

akameswaran wrote:Anybody do anything fun with carrot greens? All I can think to do is add them to the compost. Fun doesn't mean edible, although if they are so much the better.

I was disappointed that my newly acquired chickens didn't like them. I've braided them for pictures, but it's just not the same as braiding onion or garlic tops. If you google "carrot top recipe" there are lots of suggestions. Truth is, my carrot tops end up in the compost pile. Wink
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  akameswaran 9/30/2010, 8:16 am

CarolynPhillips wrote:I tried GourmetSeeds.com and it must be Down.

I mispelled it's actually: http://www.gourmetseed.com/

akameswaran

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 9/30/2010, 10:26 am

well that was fun= gourmetseed.com

carrots, romaine lettuce, celeriac, yardlong bean, indian popcorn, eggplant
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  akameswaran 9/30/2010, 10:54 am

We also got some great nasturtium, lettuce and pea, both garden and sugar, from them. The only complaint I have is many of their seeds are italian, and several are ones they grow themselves. It seems all the "new" varieties and the organically grown seeds are theirs. The others have been from some italian company.
akameswaran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down