Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone Greenhousing their SFG for the cold season? Toplef10Anyone Greenhousing their SFG for the cold season? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone Greenhousing their SFG for the cold season? I22gcj10Anyone Greenhousing their SFG for the cold season? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone Greenhousing their SFG for the cold season? Toplef10Anyone Greenhousing their SFG for the cold season? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone Greenhousing their SFG for the cold season? I22gcj10Anyone Greenhousing their SFG for the cold season? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 4:10 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone Greenhousing their SFG for the cold season?

+4
LaFee
acara
Chopper
Inca Heat
8 posters

Go down

Anyone Greenhousing their SFG for the cold season? Empty Anyone Greenhousing their SFG for the cold season?

Post  Inca Heat 9/27/2010, 1:48 am

I am thinking about converting my current SFG setup into a Greenhouse to extend the season, and perhaps get a head start on things next year. Then I would convert back to the SFG in Spring (I would not be doing anything with the SFG Boxes) Any ideas? Thanks.
A link to more pics of my SFG:

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/showcase-of-gardens-f6/inca-heat-s-sfg-connecticut-2010-t4194.htm

That's my Mom chillin' in the garden a couple of weeks back...

Anyone Greenhousing their SFG for the cold season? Sfg_2011

The boxes are 4'x8', and I have 4 of them, spaced, 3' apart all around, within a 17'x25' enclosure.

Bonus!

The evil enemy I spent my spring battling, caught in the act, stuck in my chicken wire (since then further fortified).
Anyone Greenhousing their SFG for the cold season? Sfg_2012
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/showcase-of-gardens-f6/inca-heat-s-sfg-connecticut-2010-t4194.htm
Inca Heat

Back to top Go down

Anyone Greenhousing their SFG for the cold season? Empty Re: Anyone Greenhousing their SFG for the cold season?

Post  Chopper 9/27/2010, 3:09 am

It would be easy enough to do a hoop house with bent PVC pipes. I was thinking of doing the same over the winter with a couple or early spring to get things started.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone Greenhousing their SFG for the cold season? Empty Re: Anyone Greenhousing their SFG for the cold season?

Post  acara 9/27/2010, 5:16 am

Inca Heat wrote:

Bonus!

The evil enemy I spent my spring battling, caught in the act, stuck in my chicken wire (since then further fortified).
Anyone Greenhousing their SFG for the cold season? Sfg_2012

Someone fill a cracker in ...... what is that??
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 9/27/2010, 5:49 am

Unless I'm mistaken, that's a groundhog, Acara -- a big, fat, very destructive rodent. (Big as in twice the size of a housecat).

Fortunately, I've never heard of them in Florida.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden Angel 9/27/2010, 12:52 pm

Do they burrow under ground? we had to put chicken wire on the bottom of all the boxes as we have gophers, now they can't come up through the box and if we cover with something the top is safe too. Worth the effort, that is such a nice set up you have there, hope the fence keeps out most of the critters.
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/27/2010, 1:01 pm

Inca Heat wrote:I am thinking about converting my current SFG setup into a Greenhouse to extend the season, and perhaps get a head start on things next year. Then I would convert back to the SFG in Spring (I would not be doing anything with the SFG Boxes)

I don't understand what you are thinking about. Hoop houses? Cold frames? Free standing greenhouse?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Inca Heat 9/27/2010, 1:14 pm

boffer wrote:
Inca Heat wrote:I am thinking about converting my current SFG setup into a Greenhouse to extend the season, and perhaps get a head start on things next year. Then I would convert back to the SFG in Spring (I would not be doing anything with the SFG Boxes)

I don't understand what you are thinking about. Hoop houses? Cold frames? Free standing greenhouse?

Something like freestanding, not hoop house or cold frame:

http://pvcgreenhouse.blogspot.com/

Interesting, but wonder how to adapt to my current setup with the posts already in place. I don't necessarily want to increase the footprint my garden takes up currently.
Inca Heat

Back to top Go down

Post  ribarr4 9/27/2010, 11:07 pm

Temporary hoop houses using PVC are very easy to construct, take down and store for next season. I don't know what kind of height you will get if you try to span across your two beds with the 3' walkway. You might try to go across one bed (4') and then your walkway. You might can get across it all, but you need to get a couple of 3/4" x 10' PVC pipes and couple them together. Then you need to cut off 6" of each pipe and make a hoop over them all and see if you get enough height to work under. Let me know if you think you want to try this and I'll help you more with the details.
ribarr4
ribarr4

Male Posts : 117

http://www.green-cityzen.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 9/27/2010, 11:59 pm

I had criss cross PVC over my boxes in spring...but yesterday hubby converted them all to wagon wheel style...(pvc bent over each end with tees and a stability bar across to the other hoop and tee) OH MY WORD!!! SO much more room....I am a very happy gal....I am in love with PVC...so cheap...and unlike conduit even the tee's were cheap!! YAY!!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down