Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! Toplef10SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! I22gcj10SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! Toplef10SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! I22gcj10SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived!

+2
elliephant
junequilt
6 posters

Go down

SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! Empty SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived!

Post  junequilt 9/7/2010, 1:43 pm

The irrigation system I ordered from SFG arrived today and I can't wait to try it out! DH and I will hopefully install it tonight, and I'll let you know how it does.
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! Empty Re: SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived!

Post  elliephant 9/7/2010, 5:53 pm

Take pictures!
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! Empty Re: SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived!

Post  Megan 9/7/2010, 6:02 pm

Yay! Can't wait to hear about it and (hopefully) see it!
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden Angel 9/7/2010, 11:27 pm

Am also curious and considering it for our hot summers here. Please do let us know!
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! Empty SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived!

Post  junequilt 9/8/2010, 1:30 pm

It took less than 5 minutes to set up, and most of that was spent by me searching for an appropriate hose connector (it was either find one or remove the one that was already on the hose, and run the risk of it becoming a doggie toy). Here are some photos.

This is how it looked in the package. If you listen carefully, you can hear it whisper "Resistance is futile . . . ."SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! Icon_coolSFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! Soaker10
In case you're wondering, those things that look like electrical tape are soaker tapes rolled up and secured by rubber bands.

Instructions are to lay it down on top of the mix, hook up to a hose, and then remove the rubber bands from the soaker tapes.SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! Hooked10

After the rubber bands are removed, turn on the hose and watch the tapes unfurl as they fill with water -- and this is the result. There are two tapes for each row across the bed.SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! Rolled10

As the photo below indicates, the tapes are a little too long for our bed. Those connectors sitting on top of the frame really need to be down on the mix. I imagine the tapes can be shortened, but there were no instructions for this included with the package.SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! Too_bi10

I left the hose on for about an hour, which is recommended time for the apparatus to soak 6" deep and (if I remember correctly) 12" across, but since it was already dark outside I couldn't tell much about range of soaking. I'll post again after I get the opportunity to observe during daylight.
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! Empty Pink "Collars" around tomatoes?

Post  GloriaG 9/8/2010, 5:01 pm

Hi Junequilt,

I'm interested - I've never seen anything like the pink "collars" you have around your tomato plants. Are they for the cutworms? Do they work?

Thanks
Gloria
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/8/2010, 5:12 pm

Gloria, look above Mel's right shoulder in the logo at the top of the page-just a little different style!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 9/8/2010, 5:39 pm

If those soaker fittings are anything like the ones on my system, they should be able to release and you can cut the hose down to fit. But please wait for someone familiar with the SFG system to tell you so! Smile

I forget the name for the red trays you see, but they are meant to increase tomato productivity. I've never found them at a price where I'd felt like giving them a try, but would like to hear more about them.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! Empty Boffer - do you use the "Tomato Trays"?

Post  GloriaG 9/8/2010, 7:06 pm

I looked up the tomato trays on the website as well as on a few other sites. Unless your plants are very small - just starting - how do you get them on? I saw a few types that had a slit, but the ones from SFG look like they're solid.

Are they also good for eggplants and peppers?

Thanks
Gloria
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

SFG Drip Irrigation System Has Arrived! Empty Tomato watering trays

Post  junequilt 9/8/2010, 11:26 pm

I bought my trays from Park Seed this spring. They cost a bit, but DH and I have spent mucho dinero in past years on tomato plants that never made it through a season, so we looked upon this as an investment in preventing soilborne disease -- which is endemic in our soil -- from hitting our tomatoes early on. The red color, which is supposed to fool the plant into thinking there are already tomatoes present thus it has to compete by bearing more and ripening sooner, was just another potential bonus. We also bought red plastic mulch and used that in two beds.

As it turned out, we were very happy with the trays and the mulch. I can't tell you that the trays or the plastic mulch were responsible for our reaping the first land-office tomato harvest we've ever had on this property, but the trays made it SO easy to water!

The trays are not hard to install if the plants are young. They're tough but not unflexible. The biggest issue I had to face was trimming the edges to fit 4 across, since they are exactly a foot square and the actual bed area of our SFGs is about 46". A pair of utility scissors did the trick.

The only other type of plant I used red plastic on was several eggplants, and they didn't do squat. I don't think that was the fault of the mulch, though; I think the plants were just duds!

We've pulled some of the trayed tomato plants because they were finished for the season, and the trays seem to be in relatively good condition. We'll probably use them again next year even though we may not need to water from them if we have drip systems set up in all the beds. They will still keep the mix beneath cool and provide a barrier between mix and plant.
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down