Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How is it best to harvest potatoes? Toplef10How is it best to harvest potatoes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How is it best to harvest potatoes? I22gcj10How is it best to harvest potatoes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How is it best to harvest potatoes? Toplef10How is it best to harvest potatoes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How is it best to harvest potatoes? I22gcj10How is it best to harvest potatoes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How is it best to harvest potatoes?

4 posters

Go down

How is it best to harvest potatoes? Empty How is it best to harvest potatoes?

Post  Icemaiden 8/18/2010, 8:00 am

Hi!
This is my first year of SFG and I only had 4 squares of potatoes, one side of a 4x4. So, it was not a major event harvesting potatoes Laughing I grubbed around a few times to get enough for a meal, then I took two squares at a time and troweled out the mix until I could be sure I had all the spuds out.

Next year I plan to have a whole 4x4 just for potatoes. So my question is, how do you harvest? Given that the potatoes are often down near the bottom, do you take most of the mix out like I did this time? And then put it back? I wondered if it would be better for the box, since the mix is out anyway, to leave it semi-empty over the winter as the wood would stay drier that way.

Ooh, that's another question... I know some folk have said they keep their mix in bags over the winter - is that sealed up in plastic? Doesn't it go mouldy?

Look forward to the voice of experience on this one Laughing
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

How is it best to harvest potatoes? Empty Re: How is it best to harvest potatoes?

Post  boffer 8/18/2010, 10:03 am

To harvest potatoes for winter storage, first I let the vines die down, and then I don't water for several weeks. In MM, the soil dries out nicely so that no tools are required for harvesting-just my hands sifting through the soil. When I have to use tools (in a raised bed that's not MM), I always damage a bunch of taters, and they can't be stored.

From the end of one growing season to the beginning of the next, I'll get 30 inches of rain. That much water going through my boxes can't help but be washing away nutrients in my MM. I cover all my beds with plastic for the winter to keep them dry, and to keep them clean when the late fall, early winter winds arrive.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

How is it best to harvest potatoes? Empty Re: How is it best to harvest potatoes?

Post  Icemaiden 8/18/2010, 1:40 pm

Thanks Boffer.
That is a lot of rain! I'm not sure I'll ever have enough potatoes to actually store more than a few days in the fridge but I can always dream Laughing I find that the slugs go into the potatoes if I leave them in the ground once the leaves die down, I know that is what you should do and I used to in England but it doesn't work for me here.
Icemaiden

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 8/18/2010, 4:30 pm

Good question, last year I just dug all the soil out and replaced it all. I also built potato towers in which I can remove each lower plank to get to the taters.
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

How is it best to harvest potatoes? Empty potato storage

Post  ander217 8/19/2010, 7:29 am

Icemaiden wrote:Thanks Boffer.
That is a lot of rain! I'm not sure I'll ever have enough potatoes to actually store more than a few days in the fridge but I can always dream Laughing

Ice Maiden, do you always store your potatoes in the 'fridge? My grandma told me they turn sweet if they get too cold so I've always stored mine in a dark closet or in a box under the bed in the guest room.

Is it an old wives' tale that they turn unpleasantly sweet if they get too cold?
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 8/19/2010, 8:51 am

Hi anders217.
I think they just go sweet if they are frosted (and they get nasty grey patches too). The starch breaks down to sugar. They are fine in the fridge because it is not that cold.

Wikipedia says the sugar forms at below 4°C/39°F and that they should be stored at that temp long term, but at 7-10°C/45-50°F short term. I suppose if had more to store I could keep them in the garage which is unheated but still too warm in there for a few weeks.

I have a centrally heated house and it is way too warm to keep any food at room temperature! I keep tomatoes in the kitchen window and fruit to be eaten is in the kitchen but otherwise it is all in the fridge.
Icemaiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down