Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Feeling very discouraged... Toplef10Feeling very discouraged... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Feeling very discouraged... I22gcj10Feeling very discouraged... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Feeling very discouraged... Toplef10Feeling very discouraged... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Feeling very discouraged... I22gcj10Feeling very discouraged... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Feeling very discouraged...

5 posters

Go down

Feeling very discouraged... Empty Feeling very discouraged...

Post  AliSmith13 8/2/2010, 10:45 pm

Well, my first year of gardening has definitely not gone as well as I'd hoped. However, I started my garden BEFORE I found out about SFG and so, I simply have raised beds with top soil/compost. Nothing has done particularly well. My carrots are beautiful and appear perfect, but they are not very good taste-wise. They really don't have a lot of flavor, despite their deep orange color and strong smell. My green beans have been on a roller coaster and were doing GREAT, then STOPPED and the leaves looked HORRIBLE and the "garden guy" from the local nursery made a housecall and said they needed to be pulled. They had mosaic disease. Well, I let them go and now they are taking off again. LOTS of buds/blooms and the leaves are perking up and lots of gorgeous deep-green new leaves. We'll see what happens. My bell peppers have all wound up with either BER or sunburn. The onions appear to be doing ok for the most part I guess. The zucchini won't budge. I have only gotten two little zucchinis to start and both have wound up turning yellow and dying. Sad The tomatoes won't grow at all.

I'm guessing our crazy weather this year has played a part in it, but also my inexperience. I just hate that I went from excitement and optimism at the beginning to almost dreading walking out to the garden at this point. Feeling very discouraged... Icon_sad

I just keep trying to tell myself that next year is going to be completely different and hopefully much better by using the SFG method and MM. I guess I'm just one of those people who doesn't accept failure too easily. Lol. Any way...thanks for letting me pout. Smile Smile Feeling very discouraged... 109486

Last edited by AliSmith13 on 8/2/2010, 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
AliSmith13
AliSmith13

Female Posts : 49

http://aliscouponadventures.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Feeling very discouraged... Empty Re: Feeling very discouraged...

Post  sceleste54 8/2/2010, 10:54 pm

Hang in there !! Lots of folks have had weird garden luck this summer. My beans have done very little, the pole beans are just now getting a few blooms, most of the bush beans did nothing. I have yet to get a single eggplant altho the plants are big. Its just a crazy year. Just remember its an ongoing learning experience!!
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwirose 8/3/2010, 4:25 pm

hang in there - at the beginning of the spring, I couldn't even grow a radish - I don't know what was up with that since I have always been able to grow those - this year they were nasty woody things - the carrots were toothpicks and tasted yukky - whats up with that - then the deer broke into my garden - then summer heated up and the japanese beetles ate what the deer left behind in my been department - next year will be a better year - and then we still have the fall growing season to come - funny year weather wise here - coldest feb on record and the hottest june on record, and 2nd hottest july - rain has been spordic for us too. At least here we can share in our frustrations and our triumphs - we are never alone Smile
kiwirose

Female Posts : 142

Back to top Go down

Feeling very discouraged... Empty Feeling very discouraged

Post  junequilt 8/3/2010, 4:57 pm

AliSmith13, are you gardening in a high altitude? I was looking at the Idaho Extension manual and noticed that it recommends certain varieties of veggies. Are those the varieties you've been trying to grow?

In any event, if you've had major problems with scorching on peppers, I humbly suggest that you might want to try a different variety next year. I don't know how Rainbow would do in your climate, but it has become my absolute favorite bell pepper.

Did your radishes take a long time to bulb up? That's usually what creates a woody radish.

Keep on keepin' on. You will learn so much from experience, and there will be many successes and you will be so proud of them!
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  AliSmith13 8/3/2010, 5:08 pm

Thanks for all of the encouragement. I try to keep my head up...especially when I hear from people who have been doing gardening for decades and still have managed to have a rough year and lost a lot of crops. I guess the weather is just not cooperating this year.

You know...I really didn't pay attention to what varieties work best in our area at all. Sad I just bought what was available at our local nursery. I will DEFINITELY look into that more! Makes all the sense in the world. And yes, my radishes were very woody and took a LONG time. I couldn't believe it, considering everything I'd read said they were quick to harvest.

I just look so much forward to next year and getting to try the true SFG method. I am hoping that will make a huge difference, especially with the blossom end rot problem due to my soil not draining properly.

Again, thanks for all of the encouragement...and yes, it's nice to be able to come here and vent frustrations and get support....Smile
AliSmith13
AliSmith13

Female Posts : 49

http://aliscouponadventures.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Feeling very discouraged... Empty ANOTHER IDAHO PERSON!!!! YAY!!!

Post  middlemamma 8/4/2010, 1:12 pm

This is my first year too!! I am way north of you (Coeur d'Alene area)...but I too experienced such a slow start to the growth in my garden. I don't know what your June was like, but mine was like an April....It rained like 22 days in June and was still in the high 30"s at night. The last 2 weeks have seen amazing improvement. And I am hopeful I will get to eat a few things out of my garden.

My beans are taking off too all of a sudden. And my Zukes did the EXACT same thing but now are starting to grow rapidly.

Last summer when I moved to Post Falls EVERYONE had sunflowers in their gardens and they were open and beautiful and just brought me so much joy. No one has any this year, they are growing but very few are opening. This last 2 weeks I have started to see many open and I actually have my first one open yesterday. ANd I have 10 planted around my SSFG.

Hang in there...I really really really think the weather is playing a HUGE role in our failures...but I have learned so much and next year is going to be AWESOME!

Jennie
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down