Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What is the status of your garden ? ? Toplef10What is the status of your garden ? ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What is the status of your garden ? ? I22gcj10What is the status of your garden ? ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What is the status of your garden ? ? Toplef10What is the status of your garden ? ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What is the status of your garden ? ? I22gcj10What is the status of your garden ? ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What is the status of your garden ? ?

+8
bpbdrummer
camprn
Mirjam
mmdobson
timwardell
LaFee
Lavender Debs
PeeVee
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is the status of your garden ? ? Empty What is the status of your garden ? ?

Post  PeeVee 3/14/2010, 1:26 pm

I live in the south-west of the Netherlands. I have just finished building all my boxes but they still need a bit of paint. I hope to have them ready by next weekend to get some peas, broad beans, carrots, and different kind of herbs in the ground.
I do have some tomatoes in a little window green house since last wednesday. No sign of green yet....

I was wondering what the status is of anyone else in Europe, or the rest of the world for that matter...?
PeeVee

Male Posts : 22

Back to top Go down

What is the status of your garden ? ? Empty Re: What is the status of your garden ? ?

Post  Lavender Debs 3/14/2010, 1:48 pm

In the regional section of the board, if you look at the Pacific Northwest, I am doing a running thread on my first SFG. I tend to write about more then that due to spring time enthusiasm. The thread is called, "The Toy Box" I wish more people were doing that so I could spy on their gardens progress too.

I put up pic's of what was happening out in the sun this morning.

My Tomatoes

What is the status of your garden ? ? March_34

1. Black Plum (heriloom) 2. Seiltz (extra early, Potato leaf Heirloom) 3. Persimmon (Heirloom orange)

Each of them were selected for our Maritime Northwest climate. This REALLY is not Tomato country.

What is the status of your garden ? ? March_35

These are the same type of tomato, Black Plum, both started on the same day (March 1, 2010) in the same conditions. The smaller one is one of those expanding peat pots. The other is just (Jiffy 7) starting medium in a clean yogurt cup. The yogurt cup tomatoes sprouted three full days before the peat tomato. Once the peat tomato finally did sprout, it seems to have much slower growth. Before I write this of as a "never do this again" I am going to see how well they transplant. It may be possible that expand-o-peat will still have less transplant shock because of how difficult it has been to get going. I doubt it but am trying to keep an open mind.

Those are onion sprout in the other trays.

Deborah ...missing her extra hour.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

What is the status of your garden ? ? Empty Status of garden!

Post  LaFee 3/14/2010, 5:39 pm

Hi, Peter -- don't know if you saw my post yesterday -- but I just started my seeds indoors yesterday afternoon. It's taking all my energy to not run downstairs every 10 minutes to see if anything has begun to sprout. (I'm lucky, I have big windows in the cellar that face east, and somewhere to set my starting trays!)

I'm starting bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, basil, pumpkin, and some flowers for my beds...and as soon as I get time to build my boxes (Wednesday, maybe) I'll start early lettuce and carrots and radishes. Have to go buy my soil mix, too. I've been pricing things, now I can go buy!

Good to see so many other folks in Europe finding the forums -- there's another Dutch lady has joined today, as well as a fellow from England.

I've also seen some potagers for sale in the garden centers -- raised boxes all ready to take home and build, but yikes, they're expensive!
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

What is the status of your garden ? ? Empty Re: What is the status of your garden ? ?

Post  timwardell 3/14/2010, 9:06 pm

Status report from my SFG north of Dallas, Texas - USDA Zone 8
Lettuce (4 varieties) - sprouting
Spinach (2 varieties) - sprouting
Onions (large, sweet, white) - planted from sets so I guess you can say sprouting
Potato (3 varieties) - all the adirondack blues are sprouting, no sign yet of the red or white potatoes
Strawberries - survived all the snow and are looking good
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

What is the status of your garden ? ? Empty Green with envy!

Post  LaFee 3/15/2010, 2:23 am

Glad you're garden's doing well, Tim -- I'm the warmest at (I think) zone 6, and the folks in the Netherlands are 5....so we'd be happy to have anything but frost and grey skies in the morning, let alone a green leaf!
LaFee

Back to top Go down

What is the status of your garden ? ? Empty Good start

Post  mmdobson 3/15/2010, 10:01 am

Although local farmers and gardeners say that Good Friday (this year April 2) is the start date for their gardens, I've already got my second round of sprouts in boxes.

This year I started my seeds in a seed sprouter (like for alfalfa sprouts), and transplanted them to the garden when they showed a bit of root. So far this is looking good, and ensures that the ones I actually plant have already germinated. First round of sprouts went in a week ago, 4 squares of peas ("english" or garden peas, snow peas and sugar snaps), 5 squares of collard greens, 2 of radishes, two of carrot seeds (no sprouts for these). And 2 boxes of sweet onions. All of these are already into the seed leaf stage, and some of the peas are growing their 2nd and 3rd sets of leaves. A few of the onions are poking up also.

Yesterday I planted 5 squares of corn (already sprouted), 6 of chard sprouts, 2 more of carrots, and 5 more squares of pea sprouts. And some flower borders - sweet allysum, cosmos and 2 types of marigolds.

I'm keeping an eye on the 10-day forecast here in mid-South Carolina, and it looks very good to me. If we get frost and the corn is above ground I may lose it, but if no frost the early season corn seems to get ahead of the pests.

I also have some seedlings started indoors that can't go out yet, mostly herbs. Parsley, lots of basil, borage, summer savory, cilantro and tarragon. I started some sunflowers and morning glory, but it was too early and they just weren't getting enough light, so lost them.

...keeping my fingers crossed and watching the forecast!
MM
mmdobson

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/15/2010, 10:36 am

mmdobson wrote:Although local farmers and gardeners say that Good Friday (this year April 2) is the start date for their gardens, I've already got my second round of sprouts in boxes.

This year I started my seeds in a seed sprouter (like for alfalfa sprouts), and transplanted them to the garden when they showed a bit of root. ....MM

Fantastic idea!

I think the "Good Friday" idea came from the old idea of moon planting. Good Friday springs from the Jewish Feast of Passover which is on a solar calendar. The moon phases dictate the 1st of the month. That is cool that you are pushing the envelope with success, unafraid of failure. I like that.

Deborah ....values the "old advice" but doesn't live by it.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PeeVee 3/15/2010, 4:42 pm

Wow, you are all way earlier with sowing and planting than I am. But.... this week warmer weather is coming. Temperatures up to 12-15°C (54-59°) are expected. So I gotta get my boxes ready this week.
The first tomatoes have surfaced the window greenhouses ! ! ! To think that they probably won't go in the ground before May is a little frustrating, but it's the first green I've ever grown.
I am looking forward to plant peas and broad beans. They are the ultimate spring veggies for me. And Turnip tops (Turnip greens - for the Dutch readers: Raapstelen). I really love them mixed with mashed potatoes and bacon. (stamppot raapstelen...heerlijk !!). And parisian carrots, sugar peas, and mixed leaf lettuce with radishes ..... I can't wait.

Looking forward to a first veggie garden year!

Peter
PeeVee

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 3/15/2010, 6:52 pm

Don't feel too bad, Peter -- most of them are in much warmer climates than we are, too!

Tim is in the southern US -- as warm or warmer than Provence. Lavender Debs is in Washington State (wayyyy over there on the west coast of the US) -- she's probably the closest to our weather here in Europe, and she's close to the coast, so it's humid like Holland, too. MmDobson is a little warmer than the Paris region -- not a lot, but enough to make a difference.

We managed 12 here today, with lots of sun...I'm holding my breath that it's here to stay -- I have a lot of work to do!
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam 3/16/2010, 5:13 pm

Hi all,

I planted my first potatoes yesterday! All the wheaterpeople agreed on the fact that winter would be officially over this week, so I thought, why wait any longer? Smile (okay, the decision wasn't completely rational, I'm soooo impatient...)

I had already planted broad beans, spinach, sugarsnaps and peas (protected under fleece), and last weekend I sowed carrots, spring onions, shizo, saltworth, parsnip and turnips (brassica rapa). My broccoli and lettuce (and only one remaining cauliflower) are hardening off in my cold frame, and inside I have bellpeppers growing, and tomatoes that have just started to sprout. Also I started some flowers, Afrikaantjes(marigold) and Oostindische kers (Tropaeolum, no idea what they're called in "common" english). I'm planning to plant those around the boxes to add some colour and "integrate" the kitchen garden-part a bit with the rest of the garden.

Even thought it seems like I have a lot going on in the garden already, there isn't much to see yet, because with the low temperatures stuff doesn't sprout as soon as it would do inside. But you can't start everything inside, I guess, some crops need to be sowed directly in place. Just takes a little more patience... Smile
Mirjam
Mirjam

Female Posts : 151

http://mirjamroos.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

What is the status of your garden ? ? Empty Quick update

Post  Mirjam 3/21/2010, 5:02 pm

Hi! don't have much time, but today I took a picture of my large (well...my largest anyway) box and it's starting to look like something... Thought I'd share my progress What is the status of your garden ? ? Icon_lol
[img][/img]

hmm. don't think that does the trick... gonna find out how to upload a photo first...be right back
What is the status of your garden ? ? Img_1711

Ok, got it now What is the status of your garden ? ? Icon_biggrin

In the back from left to right very small swiss chard, empty square, broad beans, beets (yellow),
Than peas and sugarsnaps that you can't see yet, garlic, spinach
peas and sugarsnaps that I pre-grew a bit indoors, parsnips, mixed lettuce
parsnips & radishes, lettuce "lollo bionda", purple carrots, broccoli
some empty squares, "normal" carrots
in the front corner strawberry plants
Mirjam
Mirjam

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/21/2010, 5:25 pm

I just moved into my house in october and there were no gardens here from the folks who lived here for 50 years, although there are some lilies and crocus trying to make an appearance. I have built four 4'X4' boxes and mix is all in. Peas are in, spinach and chard will go in later today. Next week, beets, carrots, parsnips go in. Just sowed a bunch of stuff in the house today. Next on the agenda, starting a hot compost pile, probably sometime next week. Of course the house needs work too...Boy have I got a lot to do... I need a maid. Shocked
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 3/21/2010, 8:54 pm

Mirjam wrote:Hi! don't have much time, but today I took a picture of my large (well...my largest anyway) box and it's starting to look like something... Thought I'd share my progress
Looking good! Isn't it nice to see things sprouting?
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  PeeVee 3/22/2010, 3:38 am

Wow, that box looks good, Mirjam. You make me jealous. Nothing sprouting in my boxes yet. But that might be because I only started sowing last week..........
PeeVee

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam 3/22/2010, 4:25 am

Yeah, I get so excited each time I see something green What is the status of your garden ? ? Icon_biggrin (or pink or yellow, every little chard -seedling has its own colour, they're so cute!)

@peevee: don't you think it's hard waiting for those seeds to sprout? I always get so impatient... I have three different tomatoes sprouting inside, that is, the tiny tom (or tim, I forget) are alreday 2 cm high, the red pears aren't in sight yet, and the flesh tomatoes have been sown later than the other two, so nothing to see there either. I'm getting a bit worried about the red pears though, but I don't know how long they should take, so who knows...it might just be normal.
Mirjam
Mirjam

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 3/22/2010, 4:14 pm

Yippee yippee yippee -- my lettuce tray is chock full of skinny little sprouts. Nothing else yet, but makes me happy.

My daffodils finally decided to bloom today, and the primeveres that grow wild in the back yard are covering the whole yard in lavender and yellow and white blossoms.

Won't be mowing until they're done blooming!
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  PeeVee 3/27/2010, 10:55 am

Finally What is the status of your garden ? ? Icon_lol things are beginning to sprout: radishes, cress, little gem (in this state the littelest gems I've ever seen), mesclun (mixed leaf salads), snow peas and turnip tops are all showing themselfs above the soil. My tomatoes in the window green house are also doing well. I gives a bit of confidence to see al these small sprouts.
PeeVee

Back to top Go down

Post  bpbdrummer 3/27/2010, 12:02 pm

Everything is doing really well except for my cucumbers, I transplanted the sprouts and they've withered away, so now I know direct seed for cukes. But, the beans, peas, squash, watermelon, cantaloupe that I transplanted are all doing really well.

the onions, radish, spinach, beets, basil, oregano, dill, romaine are looking good and
I also have corn sprouts, they're about 1/2 - 3/4" tall. What is the status of your garden ? ? Corny

What is the status of your garden ? ? URNco
bpbdrummer

Male Posts : 88

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Back to top Go down

What is the status of your garden ? ? Empty First box planted

Post  ander217 3/27/2010, 1:15 pm

We've had a really cool and wet spring here in southeastern Missouri. This is our first year to try SFG, and we had already planted half the garden row-style to early crops of potatoes, peas, spinach, lettuce, radishes, onion sets, mesclun, and arugula, all of which are up except the potatoes.

We built our box last weekend and filled and planted it this week in spite of mud in the garden. I know it wasn't good to walk on the mud, but we spread a bale of old hay around the box and tried to walk only on that while we planted the 4x4' box. The forecast was for more rain all week, so we felt it was either plant with the mud, or wait another week or two in hopes of drier weather.

We set out eight Early Jersey Wakefield cabbages purchased at Wal-Mart, one per foot, and planted one SF of pansies, one of Red-cored Chantenay carrots, three SF of red onion plants, one SF of kohlrabis, one of Red Sails lettuce, and left one square open for the eight celery root transplants that I'm growing inside.

Inside I'm also growing two Green Grape tomatoes, two Green German Giant tomatoes, two Rosa eggplants, one Ping Tung Long eggplant, and one Cal Wonder pepper. My cayenne peppers didn't germinate, but it was old seed. We also just planted three pots of Moon and Stars watermelons, and two cups of French muskmelons - one was Petit Grais de Rennes, and the other was Charentais.

I was all excited when I saw green sprouts in the melon cups only a few days after planting them. I kept thinking, "Those don't look like melons - they look more like grass." I pulled one up to look at the seed, and realized I should know better than to leave my bucket of potting mix next to the bird seed. My husband isn't too careful when filling up his birdfeeders. I now have millet mixed in with my potting mix. Lesson learned.

We still plan to build 20 feet of 1-foot wide boxes around the fence. Those will have trellises behind them, and the remainder of the garden, for this year, we plan to turn into 4x10' beds, much like in Mel's first book. We hope to add a couple of new boxes each year until we've turned most of the garden into SFG boxes. We think we may still use row-style gardening for the potatoes, however, since we have plenty of room and very good soil in our garden.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  PeeVee 4/11/2010, 11:15 am

After sowing my first seeds some three weeks ago, I am glad to see a lot of sprouts now. Actually, we are enjoying the first harvest already. Since last week we have cress on our cheese sandwiches and mixed in the (supermarket)salad. It tastes great and one square is more than enough for 2.
The peas, snow peas, and broad beans are about 5 cm (2"). I expect them to grow fast now if warmer weather will come. The radishes seem to be doing OK, expected harvest in 3-4 weeks. Turnip tops also doing great and harvest in the next 3-4 weeks. Mesclun, oak leaf lettuce (is that the correct English name...?), little gem is alll above surface, but they will need a few weeks before we can enjoy them.
In the herbs-on-wheels box tarragon, chervil, chives, garlic chives, leaf parsley, leaf celery is all showing some green above mel's mix.
Today I sowed a second square of radishes and turnip tops and a first square with beets is in. I thinned the peas, snow peas and broad beans. Also sowed thyme and sage. Also got my tomato sprouts into bigger pots indoors so they can grow a good set of roots.
Djeez, am I enjoying this gardening. What is the status of your garden ? ? Icon_biggrin What is the status of your garden ? ? Icon_biggrin What is the status of your garden ? ? Icon_biggrin
PeeVee

Back to top Go down

Post  jtwenting 5/18/2010, 3:12 am

Middle of May, the lettuce is about 10-15cm tall.
Same for the above ground parts of the carrots and onions.
Herbs are still only 1 or 2 cm tall, sadly, as are most flowering plants I seeded (might have seeded them a bit late, waited until after the last frost, which according to the packaging was over a month late).

Most of the peranuals I planted last autumn survived the winter and are doing well, the few that died have been replaced by new ones that will hopefully root before the end of the growing season.

In all, the garden (freshly planted last autumn) is doing better than expected, even the hibiscus have survived the winter though from the looks of it barely (they only started to sprout leaves in early May, green shoots now about 1cm long 2 weeks later).
jtwenting

Back to top Go down

What is the status of your garden ? ? Empty International posts

Post  ander217 5/18/2010, 8:21 am

I enjoy reading the international posts very much. For me they are lessons in geography the fun way.

What is little gem? I've seen that mentioned in several posts.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam 5/18/2010, 11:48 am

little gem are a small variety of lettuce, they make miniature heads of roma-type lettuce.
Mirjam
Mirjam

Back to top Go down

What is the status of your garden ? ? Empty Little Gem

Post  ander217 5/18/2010, 12:06 pm

Thanks. They sound perfect for SFG.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

What is the status of your garden ? ? Empty Hi

Post  Denny 5/18/2010, 5:57 pm

My first post on here, I'm in England so long cold winter/Spring - I'm late sowing seed but I'm sure it will catch up. I have an allotment on a steep slope and having worked it in beds, I have just sent for 4 raised beds, 1mx2m and 8" deep. Cant wait to set them up ang get them planted.
I used to teach in a college for young people with disabilities, we worked wheelchair high beds, we used the square foot system, which meant each student could have their own area - but I never used the method at home.
My fellow allotment people think I'm a bit crazy as I have a lasangne bed last year and I work organic methods - the fact that I haven't dug the whole area over the winter, in fact I have dug nothing, is so strange to them.
The soil in the beds in so loverly and light with few weeds, the garden is on heavy clay, so beds is a good way to go.
I am looking forward to learning more with you as I go. Working on an organic course at the moment, the Square foot teachig course looks good for my next goal.
I promise my post will not always be this long.
Will post pics as I go, if I can work it out how to do it.
Denny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next