Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Turning area with grass into a garden area Toplef10Turning area with grass into a garden area 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Turning area with grass into a garden area I22gcj10Turning area with grass into a garden area 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Turning area with grass into a garden area Toplef10Turning area with grass into a garden area 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Turning area with grass into a garden area I22gcj10Turning area with grass into a garden area 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Turning area with grass into a garden area

4 posters

Go down

Turning area with grass into a garden area Empty Turning area with grass into a garden area

Post  sgeades 7/14/2010, 1:55 am

What is the easiest and most effective way to turn my grass/weed area into a square food garden area. We don't want grass in between boxes. I've read that you lay down plastic and the summer heat will kill all the grass and seeds.

I'd like to just put many layers newspaper under my boxes so that later earth worms can get into my boxes but also provide the barrier and kill off grass and weed seeds. But what is a reliable way to first get rid of all the grass/weeds with out having to do a ton of digging? Mel mentions out door carpet to smother weeds. Where can I get some for cheap that is also suitable for outdoors?

Has anybody ever done this?

Thanks
Shelly in Utah
sgeades

Back to top Go down

Turning area with grass into a garden area Empty Re: Turning area with grass into a garden area

Post  chocolatepop 7/14/2010, 2:37 am

many people cut the grass really short, then put down weed barrier under and around the boxes in the rows. Some use several layers of wet news paper as mentioned, I think cardboard would work well also, is heavier duty and cheap, as in free, if you ask a store.

Cant wait to see!
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Turning area with grass into a garden area Empty Re: Turning area with grass into a garden area

Post  silverbug 7/14/2010, 7:08 am

I did the cardboard route, however, my area was a row garden that had gone pretty weedy. When I made the row garden, I got down there with my shovel and ripped out all the grass. I still have some wicked, random, DEEP rooted weed or a stray big ole grass shoot, but no major problems this year. I don't think it has much to do with the initial year, it's subsequent years that will be an issue. For me at least. The weed seeds blow around, etc...and before you know it, the area and boxes that were relatively weed free, become a nightmare of weeds. I'm sure in time, I'll have to do a weed barrier for all my mulched pathway....That's my two cents. I would think that if you did a scalping of the grass, then newspaper/cardboard only in the spots where your boxes would be, and then weed barrier for your walkways, you'd be more than good to go. I swear I thought I read that Mel recommended just putting the box down as the dirt could/would smother the grass....I see from experience that nothing can stop what wants to come through, but....ya don't know til you try, right?
silverbug

Female Posts : 185

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 7/14/2010, 7:37 am

You don't mention where you are, so what works in Texas might not work for you. If you don't want to use something like Round up, and if you don't have bermuda grass, the method employed here is to cut the grass very short, water it well, and cover with clear plastic for several weeks. Any weed seeds will sprout thanks to the sun getting through but they along with existing grass will be quickly baked to death. But this only works in warmer climes with lots of sun.

I used wet newspapers/carboard mix under my beds and it has worked fine except for the one adjacent to bermuda grass. That stuff is tenacious!
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down