Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you? Toplef10What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you? I22gcj10What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you? Toplef10What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you? I22gcj10What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you?

+4
Squat_Johnson
quiltbea
Garden Angel
milaneyjane
8 posters

Go down

What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you? Empty What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you?

Post  milaneyjane 7/12/2010, 1:35 pm

Four giant yard black trash bags filled with grass clippings for the new compost pile Very Happy My poor ten year old is not loving the job of hauling them out to the compost though--they get stinky quick! I am so excited. She was glad to get rid of them and since we mulch our grass clippings back into the lawn, I think I may hit her up every few weeks for more. Laughing
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you? Empty Stinky

Post  Garden Angel 7/12/2010, 1:43 pm

That is so cool! I was thinking of asking my nieghbor across the street for his grass clippings since we have a drought tolerant yard.

Also there is a stables that sits bags of horse manure out on the road for people to take, do you know if this is ok for the compost ? or can we use it to mulch with ? it looks like dry pellets.
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you? Empty Re: What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you?

Post  quiltbea 7/12/2010, 1:59 pm

Stinky...Fresh horse manure can have elements of worm medicine which kills the worms in your soil that you need to aerate and make castings. so if its fresh manure, NO, don't use it. It has to age several months before its worm safe.

And for your fall rakings of leaves, you can bury those right under the soil in your raised beds each fall. The worms will love you and make short work of the leaves which they love to devour before spring and it makes a healty soil.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you? Empty Re: What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you?

Post  Squat_Johnson 7/12/2010, 3:07 pm

Always ask stable owners about what they treat pastures with... I spread some on my garden that I suspect was tainted with herbicide. Horse farmer sprays pasture with broadleaf herbicide, horse eats grass, I try to grow veggies in it, etc...
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you? Empty Horse manure

Post  ander217 7/12/2010, 3:21 pm

If you don't get the horse manure that's treated with herbicides (which is bad), then you possibly get the other end of the spectrum, and have all kinds of weeds cropping up where you don't want them (which is also bad). Make certain that horse manure is well composted before you use it, and that it doesn't contain chemicals.

We're still pulling pigweeds and lambsquarters from our row garden and beds several years after spreading "free" horse manure. Just because it sat piled up in a pasture for a few months doesn't mean it composted with enough heat to kill the weed seeds.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/12/2010, 3:49 pm

If I had some fresh manure at hand I would be thrilled! I would add it to the compost pile.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you? Empty horse manure

Post  Garden Angel 7/12/2010, 7:24 pm

Thanks ! I had no idea but glad I asked before I picked some up !
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Girl 7/12/2010, 11:05 pm

Horse wormer only last 3 months, so as long as you compost the poo for 3 months, you'll be right as rain & your garden will love you!!
Aussie Girl
Aussie Girl

Female Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post  Vinay 8/13/2010, 2:17 pm

Thank you for the information on the de-worming chemicals in the Horse Manure. As I understand, it is safe to use the manure after 3 months since the chemicals would have been neutralized. Does this neutralization happen because of the heat produced by the composting process?

What happens if the manure has been spread over the pasture with wood chips without composting? Will the de-working chemicals remain in the manure and eventually seep into the soil? My concern is the condition of the soil if we use some of this manure in the SFG boxes.

Thank you for your help.
Vinay

Back to top Go down

What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you? Empty chemical wormers

Post  Aussie Girl 8/16/2010, 7:13 pm

Hi Vinay,

I have horses & donkeys and we have to worm them every 3 months as the chemicals are no longer effective after this period.

Actually 12 weeks is a stretch, most of the worming chemicals are only effective for about 8 weeks.

The chemicals don't leech into the ground, they are absorbed by the worm & eggs inside the horse and the dead eggs etc are pooped out partly already composted.

On a side note - I have been told that Paw Paw seeds are an effictive natural wormer for animals & humans, would this mean that Paw Paw would be no good in the garden or compost? Hmnnnnnnn.
Aussie Girl
Aussie Girl

Female Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

What is black and green, stinks, and the best gift a neighbor can give you? Empty Horse Manure

Post  Vinay 8/17/2010, 9:57 am

Thank you, Aussie Girl....That helps.
Vinay

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down