Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me Toplef10The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me I22gcj10The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me Toplef10The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me I22gcj10The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me

+5
RDBhan
pattipan
Ha-v-v
Odd Duck
Garden_State
9 posters

Go down

The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me Empty The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me

Post  Garden_State 7/11/2010, 1:17 pm

Well, the evil squash vine borer has shown its face in my neck of the woods. One zuchinni is gone, very wilted and turning yellow. Dug into the base of the plant and a little ugly caterpiller came out. Doubt it is going to rebound. The second zuchinni has the looks of a bore hole but could not find the bugger. This one is not wilting yet, but doubt it will be saved.

At least I was able to harvest 2 zuchinni's before the plants were stricken. Hopefully, the stay away from the cukes and melons.

Pete
Garden_State
Garden_State

Male Posts : 86

Back to top Go down

The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me Empty Re: The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me

Post  Odd Duck 7/12/2010, 1:00 pm

If you get the liquid Bt spray now and inject some into the stem of the squash plant, you just MIGHT be able to save it.
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me Empty Re: The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me

Post  Ha-v-v 7/12/2010, 1:03 pm

I was just searching how to deal with this issue. I was getting ready to do a search on the topics as well. I found a site with some ideas to fix this. I am going to get the liquid BT and inject it like Odd Duck suggests. I will spray as well.
Solutions for Squash Vine Borer
Link above ^^ for the site.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 7/12/2010, 1:26 pm

Somehow I missed this thread! I just posted a new topic on waging war against the SVB (Squash vine Borer). We did the injections this morning.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/general-sfg-talk-f5/waging-war-against-the-squash-vine-borer-t3339.htm#25048

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden_State 7/12/2010, 1:30 pm

Thanks for the tips.

Unfortunately the plants were to far gone to save, the stems were almost completely chewed through. Pulled them last night and replanted. Hopefully, there is time in the season to get a harvest.

If not, another lesson for the experience pile.

Pete
Garden_State
Garden_State

Back to top Go down

Post  RDBhan 7/12/2010, 7:52 pm

Hi guys, looking for some help. I read this post earlier today and rushed home to check my zucchini. This is what the roots looked like. I'm a newbie so I've never seen SVB before but I googled some pics and it sort of looked the same. I cut open the root with a vertical slit but didn't find anything. The plant themselves looked healthy and are producing fruit. I covered the slit back up with dirt and sprayed the plants with some insecticide, which I realize may be useless at this point.

Can someone tell me if this is the "frass" from SVB? Thx.
The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me Dsc_0019
The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me Dsc_0020
RDBhan

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden_State 7/12/2010, 8:09 pm

That look like it is SVB frass. Saw the same thing on my zukes before I dug out the little bugger.

Pete
Garden_State
Garden_State

Back to top Go down

The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me Empty Thanks

Post  RDBhan 7/13/2010, 6:17 am

Thanks Pete. And thanks for starting the thread - that's what made me look in the first place. I'll check all 4 of my zucchini plants today and see if I can find some Bt locally. Hope the plants can hold up until then.
Rohan
RDBhan

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintedlady 7/13/2010, 9:01 pm

It got me too, well, it got my heirloom pumpkin. Grrrrrrrr! Of course, the pumpkin(s) growing out of my compost piles are ENORMOUS and healthy, so you never know what's going to happen in a garden, yk? The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me Icon_rolleyes You just have to chalk it up to winning some and losing some.
Paintedlady
Paintedlady

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 7/13/2010, 11:47 pm

So far...my zucchini has survived the cuts to remove the larva (at least the ones we saw evidence of!) and the needle pricks to inject the Bt. It's been about a week, so I am hopeful. I'm keeping a close eye for wilting on the winter Bonbon squash and so far we haven't seen any evidence of new larvae frass. We injected it with Bt also.

I also have spaghetti squash and yellow squash. I have not seen any sign of the SVB on these. My spaghetti squash has 18+ squashes on it and I'll be very upset if something happens to it now! spaghetti squash is supposed to one of the squashes the SVB does not like. We'll see if that holds true.

If we beat them this year, it will be a first. Doesn't seem to matter if you're garden is new or old, those dang moths find them!

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  auntij 7/23/2010, 1:00 am

I am beyond sad those stupid borer killed off both my zucchini. In the past week I have found more green worms (I think they were cabbage worms) and now this. I am hoping I can get a couple transplants still. Other than watching for new occurrences is it safe to plant in that square again?
auntij

Female Posts : 136

Back to top Go down

Post  Cropper2 7/23/2010, 9:39 am

Although I could just scream about having lost EVERY squash-type veggie I had (butternut squash, ornamental gourds, squash, zucchini), I am least glad to know that I'm not the only one with this blasted pest! I didn't know what it was until I read this post, though. All of these plants were so healthy and full of blossums and new fruit, the BAM! All dead. I'm bitter.

Now that those beds are empty, I was thinking of adding some new compost and planting fall crops. Is there anything special that I should do to the soil to perhaps prevent these pests or might there be some nutrient in the soil that has been affected by these plant rotting evil doers?
Cropper2

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Bird 7/23/2010, 9:49 am

I am on my third planting the little buggers got the first two,,, I refuse to use chemicals but may have to give in
Jay Bird
Jay Bird

Male Posts : 228

Back to top Go down

Post  auntij 7/23/2010, 11:04 am

I just went and got some zucchini seeds to TRY again. I still have some diatomaceous earth that I will religiously powder over all my babies! I will buy stock in it if it keeps them safe. I am even considering placing a bubble around my beds (if it worked for Travolta in the 70's it will work for my SFG in the 2010's). I have also read that placing aluminum foil around the stem may help keep the moth from laying it's larvae inside. So to sum things up I am going to have a SFG that is dusty, that gets great reception, and is self contained. The Evil Squash Vine Borer has gotten me Icon_scratch
auntij

Female Posts : 136

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down