Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help!  Play 'name that squash' with me!! Toplef10Help!  Play 'name that squash' with me!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help!  Play 'name that squash' with me!! I22gcj10Help!  Play 'name that squash' with me!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help!  Play 'name that squash' with me!! Toplef10Help!  Play 'name that squash' with me!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help!  Play 'name that squash' with me!! I22gcj10Help!  Play 'name that squash' with me!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help! Play 'name that squash' with me!!

+9
quiltbea
Odd Duck
Wyldflower
PB
chocolatepop
pattipan
aspiegardner
LaFee
happyfrog
13 posters

Go down

Help!  Play 'name that squash' with me!! Empty Help! Play 'name that squash' with me!!

Post  happyfrog 6/28/2010, 9:42 am

I grew some squash plants from seed this year. well, i have three young children. they help a lot. they rearranged my unlabeled seeds that i started and as a result, had no idea what sprouted. . .

so i ended up with the 'i don't have a clue garden' garden against my fence. *grin*

I have been able to figure out some of the varieties on my own (we have baby pumpkins - jack be little growing, as well as green squash/zucchini)

but THIS:

Help!  Play 'name that squash' with me!! June2010

https://i.servimg.com/u/f64/14/94/66/74/june2010.jpg

Help!  Play 'name that squash' with me!! June2011

https://i.servimg.com/u/f64/14/94/66/74/june2011.jpg

I haven't a clue - thinking maybe it might be a black table queen? doesn't really look like acorn squash but i don't know - never grew/ate or saw any of them before, lol.

pls offer any ideas you might have - i will research all suggestions because i really do want to know, AND i don't want to let a squash go to waste if it's ripe. . . it's good sized that's for sure = both of them! Smile
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Help!  Play 'name that squash' with me!! Empty Re: Help! Play 'name that squash' with me!!

Post  LaFee 6/28/2010, 10:02 am

Did you start round zucchini at all? Gorgeous, whatever it is.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Help!  Play 'name that squash' with me!! Empty Re: Help! Play 'name that squash' with me!!

Post  happyfrog 6/28/2010, 10:21 am

i don't think i seed started round zucchini - i know i had some yellow and green zucchini ( i think the yellow got eaten by a bug). . .

i just get the feeling this veg needs more growing time - don't know why i keep thinking that but it's a niggling feeling that it's not ripe yet - even though it's good sized. . . it's like ribs are starting to form on it - slight bumps around the fruit. .

i know i have 2 and could sacrifice one, but dno't want to. 'sides, the family still haven't eaten all our green zucchini we've recnetly harvested, lol.

i did try seed starting some egg gourd and some snake gourd. neither appeared to have survived. . . 'sides it's awful huge for an egg gourd i would think (not that i have any experience in it, though having never seen any of these things in 'real life')
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  aspiegardner 6/28/2010, 10:33 am

I think either a type of pumpkin or a squash although I can't think of a round squash.
aspiegardner

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 6/28/2010, 10:48 am

i did seed start pie pumpkins, as well as black table queen. . .could be a pie pumpkin! - i have never seen a pumpkin growing before so i don't know what it starts out looking like!

and i went out and pollinated some more of the squash blossoms so hopefully i'll get some more fruit!

it's weird - one plant has male blossoms, and another plant has a female blossom (single female blossom) so i took some pollin (using my trusty artist paintbrush) from the male (even though it's different) and put it on the female blossom.

if i understand pollination correctly, i will not be able to harvest the seeds (creating a hybrid) but teh fruit will grow and taste normal =- whatever it is. . .
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 6/28/2010, 10:54 am

As a general rule, pumpkin blossoms have a more rounded petal than squash blossoms. So...

Do the blossoms look like more like this (pumpkin):
Help!  Play 'name that squash' with me!! Pumpkin_blossom_print-p228940191744841625vsu7_425
Or this (squash):

Help!  Play 'name that squash' with me!! Squash+Blossom+2009

Like I said previously, it is a general rule, but with all the varieties and hybrids, it's still a guessing game!

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 6/28/2010, 11:00 am

definitely more squash like.

the upper blossom looks just like the canteloupe/watermelon blossoms (only those are kind of small - not huge like a squash).

amazes me how big the squash blossoms are every time they open. just gorgeous. absolutely gorgeous! (and now i like the color yellow because of them, lol).
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 6/28/2010, 11:47 am

looks like a pumpkin too me!
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PB 6/28/2010, 12:35 pm

Its a SURPRISE! Just wait and see. I dont think it is ready yet myself.
PB
PB

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 6/28/2010, 12:46 pm

The blossom in your second picture... is that on the same plant? That looks more like a pumpkin blossom than a squash... I vote for pumpkin!

.. though, wouldn't winter squash be more pumpkin-like, since actually pumpkin IS a winter squash? .... hmmmmmmmm
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  aspiegardner 6/28/2010, 12:55 pm

it really seems too round to be black table queen squash.
aspiegardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 6/28/2010, 3:13 pm

It looks like the picture of the "Stripetta" spaghetti squash I planted. The plant got temporarily overgrown by the more vigorous neighboring zucchini, so I don't have anything that size yet. Did you plant a spaghetti squash?
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 6/28/2010, 3:41 pm

here's what i planted from seed - so it's gotta be one of these (unless the seed manufacturer put wrong seed in packet - which has happened to me in past - helps add to the mystery, lol)

cucumber - pickling type
cucumber - tendergreen
gourd - nest egg
gourd - snake
pumpkin - early sweet sugar pie
pumpkin - jack be little
squash - black table queen
squash - summer yellow
zucchini - dark green

and i'm going to cross out the ones i think can be eliminated:

cucumber - pickling type
cucumber - tendergreen
gourd - nest egg
gourd - snake
pumpkin - early sweet sugar pie
pumpkin - jack be little
squash - black table queen
squash - summer yellow
zucchini - dark green

so it really is narrowed down to either a pumpkin or squash, lol.

according to seed packet the squash is 70-90 days; the pumpkin is 90 days. these were seed started in may (i think). maybe as early as march. . . but they were small little plants when transplanted in end of may. . .

depending on when to figure harvest dates - this first harvest could be anywhere from July 19 - August 18

Last edited by happyfrog on 6/28/2010, 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added more info and rambled on and on. . .)
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 6/28/2010, 3:57 pm

I vote for the Early Sugar Pie pumpkin. See the images on this www.yougrowgirl.com forum:

http://yougrowgirl.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=90043&sid=cd07aed657ae50993928357b91eb6614

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 6/28/2010, 4:11 pm

when i see more blossoms on that plant i will photograph them - but that blossom that was open when i took the pic this morning is now closed up. . .

i will also try to remember to take pics of them as they grow - since i'm sure i'm not the only one confused about plants and what they look like as they grow . . .

boy am i glad i took my paintbrush to those blossoms though before they closed! i want a bumper crop of fruits/veg!

bettyann
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/28/2010, 4:49 pm

I guess you'll just have to wait to be surprised.
I had that problem this year but can't blame it on the grandkids.
I knocked my labels out of a tray when I bumped into it and I haven't the vaguest idea on several transplants....among them zucchinis, peppers, broccoli, and cauliflowers so I'll also be surprised. But what fun!
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 6/28/2010, 6:27 pm

Have you grown squash in previous years? Could this be a cross-breed volunteer?
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  bullfrogbabe 6/28/2010, 8:37 pm

I vote pumpkin! Sure resembles a pie pumpkin so far. It is still green so it still have some growing/ripening to do. With this early spring and headstart it may be ealier than usual.
bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Female Posts : 189

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 6/28/2010, 9:24 pm

megan - never grew squash of any kind til this year. Smile
happyfrog

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 6/28/2010, 10:55 pm

Happyfrog:

It sure looks like a pumpkin to me - unless you planted watermelon.

Keep us posted!

Happy Gardening Everyone....
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Help!  Play 'name that squash' with me!! Empty Pumpkin?

Post  ander217 6/29/2010, 8:44 am

I vote pumpkin, too. It's definitely not a watermelon - your leaves aren't lobed and the blossoms are way too big.

I've grown acorn squash and they develop the deep grooves while still very young, plus the shape and color isn't quite right for any acorn squash I ever grew. One end is usually sort of pointed.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down