Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Why is my garden turning yellow? - Page 2 Toplef10Why is my garden turning yellow? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Why is my garden turning yellow? - Page 2 I22gcj10Why is my garden turning yellow? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Why is my garden turning yellow? - Page 2 Toplef10Why is my garden turning yellow? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Why is my garden turning yellow? - Page 2 I22gcj10Why is my garden turning yellow? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Why is my garden turning yellow?

+5
Weed 'em and Reap
kimbertangleknot
vinny09
Chopper
RussC
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Why is my garden turning yellow? - Page 2 Empty Fertilizer

Post  ander217 7/2/2010, 10:25 am

I garden organically and I use fish emulsion as my quick fertilizer.

I made a bad batch of Mel's Mix using only three brands - it's hard to find good compost in this area - and I had to add extra feeding to two of my boxes. But a couple of doses of fish emulsion and they perked right up.

Kimbertangleknot, another reason we practice crop rotation is because plant-specific diseases can be introduced into the soil, and it may take three or four years for them to die off before it's safe to plant that crop again. You can add nutrients back to replenish spent soil, but if one keeps planting the same crop year after year, sooner or later it's going to bite you where it hurts.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Why is my garden turning yellow? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why is my garden turning yellow?

Post  RussC 7/2/2010, 10:37 am

Tell me more about the fish emulsion? What's that all about and where do you find something like that? What does it provide as far as nutrients go?

Also, I had been adding scoops of compost over time but I guess I was not adding it often enough or adding enough each time. How often do you add your compost to existing plants?
RussC
RussC

Male Posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Why is my garden turning yellow? - Page 2 Empty Fish emulsion

Post  ander217 7/2/2010, 11:14 am

Fish emulsion is a gray, sludgy-looking by-product of the fishing industry. It comes concentrated in plastic bottles, and is found in many gardening stores or it can be ordered online. I follow the directions - I mix a spoonful with a gallon of water and pour a cup or so around each plant. I think mine is about 5-3-3 NPK.

The downside - it stinks to high heaven in the concentrated form, but I think there are deodorized ones available for a higher price. I bought a cheap plastic pitcher that I keep just for watering plants and mixing up fish emulsion. It doesn't make the plants smell bad.

Someone else on the forum highly recommended a combination of fish emulsion and kelp fertilizer. I'm going to order that online when my current bottle of fish emulsion runs out.

In theory, with Mel's Mix we aren't supposed to need extra fertilizing until we replant the square, but Mel uses about a dozen kinds of compost in his mix. I think the three I used were definitely lacking in nutrients. I finally got some of my own made, and I just side dressed the heavy feeders this week to give them a boost now that they are in full production. Initially I used the fish emulsion because my plants just sat there not growing, and they began to turn yellow. Two days after dosing with the fish emulsion they were greening up and growing fine. I repeated the dose two weeks later. (I had set out a catnip plant in the "poor" box and the entire plant had turned RED. Two days after the fish emulsion it was turning green again and looked completely normal after the second dose.)
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Why is my garden turning yellow? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why is my garden turning yellow?

Post  RussC 7/2/2010, 11:22 am

Thanks. I am convinced at this point my garden had run out of nutrients. I think I'm on the right track now. Thanks everyone.
RussC
RussC

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 7/2/2010, 3:54 pm

Fish emulsion is my go to fertilizer also. Since it is useful on the leaves as well as in the soil I use a hand pressurized 1.5 gallon tank and distribute it that way. It does stink, but I used to live in Gloucester MA so it just makes me feel at home. LOL. It is funny to watch the dogs try to figure out where the fish is.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RussC 7/2/2010, 4:00 pm

I was looking at Lowes and they have for sale alaskan fish fertilizer. Is that what I'm looking for on Fish emulsions?
RussC
RussC

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 7/2/2010, 4:18 pm

That is what I currently use, yes. Just hope your gag reflex isn't too sensitive.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 7/2/2010, 5:16 pm

Just hope your gag reflex isn't too sensitive.
Why is my garden turning yellow? - Page 2 Lol That cracks me up, the things we do for our plants Smile lolololololo
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 7/2/2010, 6:23 pm

Oh I found vermicompost (worm castings made into tea, attractive sounding isnt it? lolol ) tea at the Ag store/feed store the other day. 5 bucks a gallon. Im going to buy some for my cousin. She doesnt have access to a compost pile yet and to use horse or chicken waste I could take her would be rough cause the dog would roll in it :-D I thought 5 bucks was a good deal for a gallon, especially when its for a quick feed and wont bring in the dogs that love the poo smell. When I buy it I will get the brand.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2