Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Have a question about a bitter cucumber. Toplef10Have a question about a bitter cucumber. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Have a question about a bitter cucumber. I22gcj10Have a question about a bitter cucumber. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Have a question about a bitter cucumber. Toplef10Have a question about a bitter cucumber. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Have a question about a bitter cucumber. I22gcj10Have a question about a bitter cucumber. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Have a question about a bitter cucumber.

5 posters

Go down

Have a question about a bitter cucumber. Empty Have a question about a bitter cucumber.

Post  GloriaG 6/25/2010, 3:13 pm

I bought a cucumber plant this spring from one of the big box stores. It was labeled "Cucumber Burpless Hybrid" and said the "fruit size" is 10".

I picked the first cucumber this morning at about 8" long. The cucumber has been turning lighter and lighter green since it was about 3" long.

I made a cucumber sandwich for lunch - and it was so bitter I almost gagged.

I know that sometimes the labels in pots at the big box stores get mixed up - could this be a "pickling" cucumber that should have been picked at 3" or is it something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.
Gloria
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Have a question about a bitter cucumber. Empty Re: Have a question about a bitter cucumber.

Post  Retired Member 1 6/25/2010, 6:25 pm

Cukes tend to get bitter in the heat, so it might be that. They also can get bitter with age. Peeling sometimes cuts down on the bitterness. Did yours have full sized seeds in it? If so it was past it's prime. Pick when they are about half-grown and the seeds are small. Remember that the sizes on the package are not necessarily the size you will end up with. If it had been a pickling cuke, it would have gotten very fat but stay pretty short.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Have a question about a bitter cucumber. Empty Have a question about a bitter cucumber.

Post  GloriaG 6/25/2010, 6:39 pm

Thanks belfrybat,

Yes - the cuke had full-sized seeds - so I guess it was way past prime. I'll pick earlier next time.

But I guess I'm not sure how big is "right". If I had picked this one at say 4" it would only have been as big around as my thumb. Shouldn't it be bigger around? They have plenty of water but they're not filling-out at all.

Gloria
GloriaG

Back to top Go down

Have a question about a bitter cucumber. Empty Re: Have a question about a bitter cucumber.

Post  kimbertangleknot 6/26/2010, 11:35 pm

Cucumbers need constant even watering. It's better to water them in smaller amounts everyday than water them more, for, let's say every other day. Also it seems to me and my mother-in-law that they do well not having intense full sun. Say, maybe be able to block a few hours of sun a day. Also compared to planting in the ground and containers (or SFG) the ground can handle the bigger breed cuke's better. If you want to do the bigger breeds, I would leave more room for the root system to be able to expand to support the bigger fruits. The smaller cuke's used mainly for containers really do seem to do better in SFG. Also, making sure they have a bit more in the way of nutrients they may need as well. I believe that Mel's Mix is great for a standard, but I still believe that you can rely on just that, some veggies just need more stuff.

And really, you can use 10" cukes for pickling as well, you don't have to have a special "pickle" type cucumber for pickling.
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 6/27/2010, 12:36 am

I gave up on my cucumbers and pulled them out a couple of weeks ago. They had been great, but once the heat got serious they started getting pale like that and I knew from experience that they would be bitter. I'll try again later for a fall crop.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  GloriaG 6/27/2010, 2:26 pm

Thanks kimbertangleknot, I appreciate your input. I have the cukes in a self watering container that's shaded in the hot afternoon sun. So they should have constant even moisture plus morning and later day sun when it's not quite so hot. The plants look great - just no more cukes coming.

Elliephant, I think you may have hit on the problem. Our temperatures have been close to or over 100 for several weeks now. I guess that means the cukes are over. Perhaps I should have planted them earlier.

I really appreciate everyone's help with this. It's my first time to plant cucumbers and I was really hoping to get some good eating cukes but it doesn't look like
that's going to happen.
GloriaG

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 6/27/2010, 3:41 pm

This has been a "strange" year here in Texas for spring/summer veggies. The temps stayed below average for so long, and then almost immediately jumped to above average. Of 8 cuke plants (2 of 4 different varieties) I ended up with a grand total of 7 cukes and three of them were misshapen. I'm not pulling the plants as they still look good. If they survive the summer, they should start putting on this fall. But to be on the safe side, I'll also plant again in mid August.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Have a question about a bitter cucumber. Empty Bitter cukes

Post  ander217 6/27/2010, 3:50 pm

A few years ago I began trying different varieties of cuke to see if one withstood heat better than others. I've found that Yamato withstand heat longer than many of the other burpless types (it will eventually become bitter in the heat, too, but seems to hold out longer.)

I've had better luck planting a substitute. Last year my Dark Green Metzki Serpent Melons stayed sweet all summer. (We had plenty of rain last summer and only a few days of above-100 degree temps in mid-summer. This year we're in a drought and we've already had several 100+ degree days, and my Metzki dark greens and Painted Serpent melons are blooming, blooming, blooming, but have yet to set a single fruit.)

Even though they are called melons, the Metkis look and taste a lot like a burpless cucumber.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down