Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite? Toplef10Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite? I22gcj10Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite? Toplef10Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite? I22gcj10Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Yesterday at 5:24 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite?

+7
llama momma
Mark38
Retired Member 1
LaFee
PB
junequilt
Katch
11 posters

Go down

Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite? Empty Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite?

Post  Katch 6/21/2010, 10:10 am

Good Morning SFG Friends,

I hope I get this correct this time. I thought I had everything correct last night when I posted on other topic. I did check the database, but no luck yet, but waiting for a return phone call (crossed fingers). Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b have a connection that is not on the database that they would be willing to share with me. I have made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite? I was hoping to find another SFG'er here in Charlotte who has made their own "Mel's Mix" and thereby would have already gone through everything I have gone through in the process. I have found it online at 2 places, but they are pretty strong about saying this form is not to be confused with "Coarse" in texture, so here we go again, but at least this time I hopefully won't be bothering the rest of the SFG world and will just be hanging out in the right region. I am thankful for any help, links, suggestions, but mostly your taking the time to read and possibly help. Even if you can not help, I am still thankful. I hope that everyone had a wonderful Holiday weekend!!

PS-I also made a product request to Home Depot and Lowes for Charlotte stores to carry the "Garden Time" (with Mel's picture on the bag) for those that would like to buy the mix already made. I hope they will see the massive SFG'er in the area and make a smart business decision to carry the product. It would be great if others in the area would go to their website's and do the same. I will probably post that topic later, so please help get the message to these Giants, even though I still try to support my local Mom and Pop hardware and related stores, but sometimes they just can't carry an item due to the Giant store ability to get accounts. Thanks again and remember if you get a chance, go to the website and make a product selection to HD and Lowes. I think Mel would be happy with that!

With Thanks Always, Katch
Katch
Katch

Female Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite? Empty Re: Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite?

Post  junequilt 6/21/2010, 1:22 pm

Hey, Katch. How far are you willing/able to travel to get vermiculite? I'm asking because it's about 100 miles to Woodruff, SC, where Palmetto Vermiculite is located. We bought our vermiculite from them and it's exactly what was needed. They ship, too.
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite? Empty Re: Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite?

Post  PB 6/21/2010, 5:32 pm

I got mine at Price's nursery in High Point. Is that too far? Check with your local garden centers and see if they will order you some.
PB
PB

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 6/21/2010, 6:06 pm

have you Googled it?

I just typed in "vermiculite Charlotte" and got pages and pages of results -- including a number of different gardening forums where the posters list sources all over the Charlotte area.

If you can't find course, use medium....there's a fair amount of "slop" in the recommendations -- use what you can find!
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite? Empty Thank you for your help throughout this search.....

Post  Katch 6/21/2010, 7:57 pm

Dear SFGing Friends,

I finally found a place to order online, then eBay, then locally they were out of stock at one location, but will order it for me. I will be making these locations available on the Vermiculite database. Many of the Google listings and other suggestion turned out to be dead ends, but I wanted to thank everyone for all of your help, support and suggestions. Have a Wonderful Evening.

PS-Here is a link for Gro-Well and it has a more predominate picture of Mel on it and explains the recipe and a bit about SFG for those who have access to this product brand. The brand that Lowe's is carrying in locations other than North Carolina is called "Garden Time" and I am sorry to say I don't have much information on that one, but "Gro-Well" is a very nice little website. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.gro-well.com/lawnandgarden/squarefootgardening.html

With Many Always,
Katch
Katch
Katch

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 6/21/2010, 8:03 pm

There was a discussion a month or so ago about one version of Mel's mix that wasn't any good. But since the search engine on this site is less than useful, I can't find the discussion. Could someone with a better memory than I find the discussion in case this is the product that wasn't any good?

You might also check with the SFG foundation to see which company they recommend for purchased Mel's mix.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite? Empty Vermiculite in Charlotte, NC

Post  Mark38 3/22/2013, 9:55 am

I use a lot of this throughout the year in our property management co. I buy and have it shipped by the truckload. I'm also a big vegetable gardener myself and use a variation of the square foot gardening concept. I love the mel's mix concept and have used it for years. We have chickens which come in handy in creating compost. I live in Indian Trail and can probably help supply some vermiculite to those who have trouble finding vermiculite locally. Just call or text me at 704.618.1413. I'm also interested in a gardening club in the Indian Trail area where I can grow my skill.

-Mark
Mark38
Mark38

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/22/2013, 12:04 pm

Look at your nearest hydroponics store. That's where I get mine and they always seem to have it.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/22/2013, 12:13 pm

This came up on a Google search.
Westmont Mining Inc
(704) 847-0366
2300 Sardis Rd N, Charlotte, NC

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Anyone near Charlotte, NC Zone 7b? Made calls, but still searching "Coarse" Vermiculite? Empty Try Greenhouse Megastore

Post  bvarbel 3/22/2013, 12:36 pm

I just bought course vermiculite online from the Greenhouse Megastore. Its $24 plus a bit for shipping. I got 4 cu ft shipped for $40 to California. After pricing home depot and other places which didn't even carry course grade, I felt this price was reasonable.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/vermiculite-4-cubic-foot-bag/seed-starting
bvarbel
bvarbel

Male Posts : 48

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark38 3/23/2013, 10:20 am

That price is a bit steep. I use agricultural grade vermiculite. It is the kind most often used by commercial growers. It is between the medium and coarse grade. Having tried all grades, I must confess that I don't notice much of a difference. In the Carolinas , our problem is lumpy, clay soil. Vermiculite works great for preventing clumps and water retention. I can get it for $15 per 4 cubic ft. bag.
Mark38
Mark38

Back to top Go down

Post  ultraviolet 4/1/2014, 10:43 am

If anyone is still looking for vermiculite in Charlotte, we found it at Pike Nurseries in Ballantyne. It's specifically the coarse grade (it even says "for square foot gardening" on it.) We got it on sale for about $15 for 2 cu. ft. They also sell a larger bag which may be more economical per cu. ft. but we didn't need that size so I couldn't tell you the price.
ultraviolet
ultraviolet

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/1/2014, 3:00 pm

Did you add it to the Vermiculite Database?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21557

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  ultraviolet 4/2/2014, 1:03 am

I'm new here and didn't know that was a thing. But now I see, and someone has indeed added it already. Thanks
ultraviolet
ultraviolet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down