Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary? Toplef10New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary? I22gcj10New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary? Toplef10New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary? I22gcj10New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary?

4 posters

Go down

New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary? Empty New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary?

Post  theewz 6/20/2010, 5:20 pm

Hey everyone,

I am a great big beginer to SFG, gardening and this forum. WOW though what great place though. I am really eager to get a 2X8 sfg going to begin with but am really not sure when a good time to plant is. Is June to late to start planting or does it depend on what I plant?
theewz

Back to top Go down

New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary? Empty Re: New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary?

Post  Retired Member 1 6/20/2010, 7:55 pm

Welcome! As far north as you are you can still plant many veggies. Find a frost chart for your area which will give you the date of the first frost of autumn and plant items that will mature before the frost date or are frost hardy (broccoli, cabbage, etc.). You have plenty of time to have a great garden. You might want to check out the posts in the regional forum for Canada and see what others are planting as well.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary? Empty Re: New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary?

Post  cansaskgard 6/20/2010, 10:39 pm

Welcome! New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary? Icon_biggrin I am a little new myself here and I have much to learn.

I believe you are zone 3a... I am zone 2b.

Your not that different for frost times as me, so pretty much the same for planting. The only thing that is an issue for your area is the random weather you guys get out of the blue... mind you I can't even count how many times we have had a freak snow fall ourselves this year.

I would get some transplants for some of the longer time growing stuff and the ones that can be a bit finicky and for things like the broccilli and cauliflower. So that would be tomatoes (any type), pumpkins, eggplant, and such... you might get away with a zucchini planting and the same with cukes. As for lettuce, raddish, swiss chard, carrots, most beans. Just during the hot days later this summer, shade the leafy stuff. An early variety corn would still work if you planted quite soon here. I know I just re-seeded some today because my one variety did not take because of the lovely weather we have been having.

It really all depends also on what side of the hill sorta speaking you are living on for dryness.

I have had the best prices for vermiculite at a peavey mart big bag for $8 (don't know if you have that store). Home Depot had nothing really for a selection. We don't have Totem and I never went to Rona. Canadian Tire only had the small bags for a price that was $5.

The one good thing for you as you have quite the selection of great green houses there!

Have fun!

Last edited by cansaskgard on 6/20/2010, 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : new info)
cansaskgard
cansaskgard

Back to top Go down

Post  cansaskgard 6/20/2010, 10:43 pm

Farmer's Almanac says May 23rd and Sept. 15 for average frost dates for your city...

So pretty much the same dates as me.
cansaskgard
cansaskgard

Back to top Go down

Post  theewz 6/20/2010, 11:13 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to have my little 2x8 or 2x10 box and filled by the end of the month. going to try tomatoes, cucs, carrots ,some letuces and radishes.

cansaskgard , when you say to get some transplants, do you mean potted tomatoes etc... from my local green house? Sorry for the questions but I am really new to this Smile

My house faces east. I was going to put it in the backyard but I have a garage there as well and a 6" fence. I had envisioned a trellus or something attached to thee fence or garage for the vertical stuff. not sure if enough sun would hit it though.

I was also thinking of a potato tower I read about. Not sure if that fits in with the sfg thing trhough,
theewz

Back to top Go down

Post  cansaskgard 6/20/2010, 11:39 pm

Hey no problem! I still have many questions to ask around here... New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary? Icon_lol
Yes, the transplants are the potted plants/veggies.
If you get the SFG book it has a great reference in the back to how far you can plant things according to your fall frost date. I am planting a few rounds of things myself.

So does your back yard just get the mid day sun because of the garage? Or is there a spot that gets more? In my introduction post I have a pic of my garden that is in between the garage and 6' fence and I get just enough sun light there which is most of the midday stuff. The tall stuff is on the north end of it and the shorter stuff on the south end. Where ever the trellis will work for you that it gets some sun, just do what you can if you can. Not everything has to have a trellis. Just get the bushy varieties instead of the vines of veggies. Your cukes can go a variety of ways. I am using an old wire vhs stand for my peas...

As for the potato tower? Go right ahead! I have some potatoes in my garden and in some bags. New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary? Icon_lol I just roll up the bag as the potato grows and add more stuff (I am trying grass clippings, but I know others use the mix, hay, soil, and such. I also have a bunch of stuff in containers and in clay growing medium that has my makeshift pond water running over it (aquaponics). I will say though that I am using the soil mix where ever I can - things are growing great in it.

Good luck and I can't wait to see and hear about all your progress and take pics! New to SFG and gardening, to late to plant in Calgary? Icon_smile
cansaskgard
cansaskgard

Back to top Go down

Post  theewz 6/21/2010, 6:48 am

thanks,
I'm going to see if chapters carries that book or do I need to buy it online?

i saw the pic in your intro post, looks great!!. The space between my garage is about half of your whole garden. I think most of my back yard gets mid day sun. There might be a couple or slivers that do get more. I also have a 2x20 foot sliver that is always shaded on the other side of the garage but not to sure what could grown in an full shade area like that.
I had an idea about trying to some how use raised beds in the air or on top of my shed. Still planning and trying to figure things out.

A potato bag, what agreat idea. I never even thought of that!

I am going to try and use vermicompost to amend my beds. I have two bins right now in the basement. I was just harvesting them for my grass in the front yard but I think using them for a SFG is better.

I have been reading about aquaponics and am really intrigued by it. The owner of a vermicomposting forum I frequent is experimenting with aquaponics and redwigglers with some interesting results.
theewz

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryley 6/21/2010, 1:14 pm

If you're looking for a copy of the book, I know Lee Valley carries it for sure, and there is a Lee Valley in Calgary Smile
Ryley
Ryley

Female Posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  theewz 6/21/2010, 9:01 pm

Yes, we do have a lee valley, totally forgot about them. I will go check it out later this week.

Thanks Ryley.
theewz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down