Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
vacation, missing my garden Toplef10vacation, missing my garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

vacation, missing my garden I22gcj10vacation, missing my garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
vacation, missing my garden Toplef10vacation, missing my garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

vacation, missing my garden I22gcj10vacation, missing my garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

vacation, missing my garden

+4
Wyldflower
Shoda
Chopper
nursekat424
8 posters

Go down

vacation, missing my garden Empty vacation, missing my garden

Post  nursekat424 6/17/2010, 2:15 pm

going to ohio for vacation, left yesterday and spent last night camping @ black river harbor. i keep checking out all the gardens along the way looking for SFG's. havent seen any yet vacation, missing my garden Icon_cry . i miss my garden, i hope my MIL is taking good care of it for me while we are away. cant wait to see how much my plants grow between yesterday and next sunday (when we will get home).

you think it's to much to have her take pics and post them on facebook so i can see how they are growing? lol, oh well. anyone between here and dayton OH that wants to show off their gardens? we are camping @ st ignaces tonight then going on to Dayton tomorrow. then all over Southern OH visiting family & friends i havent seen for 2 years. vacation, missing my garden Icon_biggrin.

hope my plants and chickens do well while we are gone. wonder if i will have anything to pick yet when i get home. maybe radishes. well rambled enough. back on the road.
nursekat424
nursekat424

Female Posts : 74

Back to top Go down

vacation, missing my garden Empty Re: vacation, missing my garden

Post  Chopper 6/17/2010, 2:39 pm

That's the only problem with vacations. they come at the heart of garden time!

My daughter in law said that when she was talking to my son, who introduced me to SFG, about when I could go up there, he said, "Well, she has a garden now..."
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 6/17/2010, 11:28 pm

My kids want to go away this summer and I am afraid to leave the garden. Last summer my husband had some "issues" with the watering system and things were never the same again.
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 6/17/2010, 11:33 pm

I'm going to be away for a few days, and I'm really paranoid about leaving my garden! My 15-year-old grandson has agreed to come over and check the garden and water if necessary. I'm just a little afraid that he'll go overboard and water too much. I'm having him come over tomorrow and I'll show him exactly what I want done... and I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I'm also afraid he'll do something stupid, like try to cut down a tree that I pointed out to him that needs to be taken out... so I'm locking up all my tools! I'll only be gone for four days - how much trouble could he really get into!?!
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  new2this 6/19/2010, 7:48 am

I thought I was the only one.....we leave in July, and I'm not looking forward to it.
My sister said she'd stay while we're gone......perfect, right?
Last night she went and adopted a cat,which is great and all....buuuuuut......., I have a cat - that's part of the reason I wanted her to stay here; to mind my garden and care for my cat! I'm not so sure about how this'll turn out when she brings this new cat with her. vacation, missing my garden Icon_evil
new2this

Female Posts : 215

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 6/19/2010, 12:30 pm

Heading out the door in a little while... I won't be online until Wednesday, most likely. I've got the instruction list for the grandson, and I've locked up the 'dangerous' tools.... Here's hoping that returning from my camping trip is just as happy as my leaving for it!
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

vacation, missing my garden Empty aargh! don't remind me!

Post  valientor 6/19/2010, 11:19 pm

I go on vacation in July too and I have asked my non-SFG neighbors in my community garden to take care of my garden. That should work right? Maybe convert them? Still makes me anxious.
valientor
valientor

Female Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/20/2010, 7:55 am

I am not going on vacation, but I am leaving early tomorrow to go work at a boys camp near Rutland Vermont. I must say I am a bit worried about how my garden will fare over the next week, I have done the best I can to get it ready to be alone. I have someone coming to water once a day but the weather forecast says it's going to be quite hot this week. Fingers crossed here!
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 6/20/2010, 8:29 am

I was recently gone for almost two weeks. This was an unexpected trip to families. I left on June 4th and came home on the 15th of June. I had seedlings that needed to be planted before I left (still do). I had one day to spray the tomatoes for blight, we had had rain every day until I left. My husband said once I left it didnt rain until I came home. One day to walk around and see how things are going, pack me for the trip, wash clothes for my sons and husband, thinking I would be gone 4 days.
My husband watered daily for me, I came home to a garden where the weeds had grown in the walk ways, but !!! the plants in the SFG had grown just as much !!! The herbs are bushes, the tomatoes that didnt have tomatoes have quite a few clusters, I have a few bells. I was so happy the caterpillars had radishes to eat next to my melon plant. I was able to get dipel dust BT this week on the squash plants. Took out 5 tomato horned worms, sons and husband actually I dont touch worms or caterpillars. (so grateful I have someone that will do that). I had growth while I was gone. Im thinking about all the folks and their gardens during the vacations !! SFG makes it so much nicer, the weeds werent in my beds, just my walk ways !!
Happy Vacationing
Ha-v-v
P.S. have them send pics via cell phones if possible.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 6/20/2010, 8:47 am

I forgot, Im leaving again tomorrow until Thurs. This time 3 of our sons and I are going to a camp ground with our family. Going to help our children make memories with their cousins. So they can talk about us when they are grown Smile I feel confident my husband will water, will know what horned worm poo looks like etc. lololol My honey dew melons should be much bigger, they are like a watched pot of water waiting to boil. The butternut will be even bigger Im sure along with the straight neck and gray zucchini.
Then folks when I get home, we start work finishing our log cabin bunkhouse/shop we have up, it will be turned into our interim home (the 30ft trailer has shrunk with two of the boys over 6ft now) We will go to a small bunkhouse type thing with 500 sq ft. Everyone is excited in our house.
Loving Life
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  nursekat424 6/22/2010, 11:58 am

well my MIL assures me my garden is doing great and survived the storms, including hail. I hope everyones homes and gardens survived as well.

i'm enjoying my vacation, minus the trip to the ER for kidney stones- which i might add are really really really painful, and suck majory.

And as i said earlier, if there is anyone who lives near dayton and wants to visit, show off their gardens and talk "shop", i would love it. i would love to be able to visit and talk with someone who understands SFG lingo. we are over on the east side of dayton off 35, the woodman dr exit.

thanks to everyone for the reasuring comments and the ones letting me know i'm not the only one worrying.

here's a few pics of my vacation.

vacation, missing my garden Img_1510

this is a lupine, cant wait to grow some of these in my flower beds.

vacation, missing my garden Img_1710

this is some of the fall @ black river harbor

vacation, missing my garden Img_2010

here is all of us in front of the light house in manistique, MI

happy gardening everyone.
nursekat424
nursekat424

Female Posts : 74

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content