Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Heat wave! Toplef10Heat wave! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Heat wave! I22gcj10Heat wave! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Heat wave! Toplef10Heat wave! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Heat wave! I22gcj10Heat wave! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by markqz Today at 11:01 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Heat wave!

3 posters

Go down

Heat wave! Empty Heat wave!

Post  junequilt 6/14/2010, 6:21 pm

As you may know, we're having a bit of a heat wave here in SC. It's 100 degrees with a real-feel temp of 103 for the fourth day in a row, and things aren't supposed to cool down any time soon. I know, those of you who live in desert regions are probably laughing because it's only 100 here, but in this climate, these temps are sheer misery.

Anyway, since summer is nearly officially upon us, I'd love to hear from experienced square foot gardeners about how they handle keeping plants from extreme stress under such conditions. Mulch? Shade? Mist? A combination of the above? Or maybe Mel's mix is moisture-retentive enough to take care of things even in such hot weather? Have you found that daily watering is sufficient? If you use shade fabric, what do you use and where do you get it?

I'm concerned that too much watering will wash away nutrients from the beds and leave the plants without what they need to complete the growing season. Heat wave! Icon_eek True or false?
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Heat wave! Empty Too much water?

Post  camprn 6/14/2010, 6:30 pm

I think it's true that you can overwater the MM in that nutrients will be flushed away. That being said, if its so hot you have to water multiple times a day it may be beneficial to feed the plants liquid nutrition if they start showing signs of deficiency.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Heat wave! Empty Re: Heat wave!

Post  1chichi 6/15/2010, 10:01 am

I have to water 2x/day on many plants. Also, someone mentioned you can prune the lower leaves on tomatoes to help prevent splash back type funguses, so I trimmed my plants today.
I did find some pinestraw mulch at the local nursery and I put it under many of the tomatoes. It seems to have helped.

Wal-Mart sell the rolls of shade cloth. If this 100 degree weather persists, that may be my next move.
1chichi
1chichi

Back to top Go down

Heat wave! Empty Tomato watering trays

Post  junequilt 6/15/2010, 1:48 pm

I also have removed the lower leaves on my tomatoes. They look kinda funny, but if it prevents leaf spot and early blight from setting in, I can live with their legs looking kinda nekkid! I haven't put down any organic mulch, but some of my tomatoes are planted in red plastic mulch and some have tomato watering trays.

This is my first time using watering trays. I didn't think I'd like them, but so far I do. I ordered red rather than black trays because I thought the black ones might make things a little too hot during a South Carolina summer. The trays are a little larger than one foot square, so where I set in one tomato plant per square, I trimmed the edges with scissors to make them fit. They completely cover the Mel's mix under each plant. Watering either by hose (gently) or bucket and cup is ultra-easy with no splashing -- and even if you did somehow splash, the water wouldn't be coming into contact with the soil, so the plant wouldn't get hit with soilborne disease.

The trays have four funnel-shaped points that you press down into the soil, and that's where the water poured into the tray seeps through to the plant roots. You're supposed to put granular fertilizer in the points, but I haven't done that yet.

Just as an aside, my plants' roots are probably cooler than we have been for part of the past 24 hours. My husband got home yesterday afternoon to find that our air conditioning had stopped working. By the time I got home from work, it was 93 degrees in the house! Heat wave! Icon_tongue
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Heat wave! Empty Re: Heat wave!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down