Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 Toplef10Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 I22gcj10Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 Toplef10Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 I22gcj10Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds

+32
Too Tall Tomatoes
southern gardener
adutton
AprilakaCCIL
shannon1
Kelejan
MasonGarden
Ha-v-v
jsavolt
Megan
happyfrog
camprn
MrTomatoHead
CarolynPhillips
middlemamma
Odd Duck
quiltbea
Garden Angel
acara
The Estate
Shoda
milaneyjane
kingdaddy
johnfromfl
Dietryin
Paintedlady
chocolatepop
Chopper
Garden_State
AliSmith13
silverbug
ASFx
36 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 Empty Re: Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds

Post  MrTomatoHead 12/13/2010, 2:25 am

ASFx wrote:Back on topic...

In the next couple days i'll be starting a bunch of seeds to go out around mid january. Broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, and various lettuce. I'll let them grow under the LED lights for about a month or so.

I'll be interested how this works for you. Do you soak them first? Or "water them in"?

I've used those dehydrated pellet packets with varying success on different seeds. I think I drowned some while others worked pretty well. What really threw me in last years garden is that I had wide fluctuation of the germination times for seeds from the same batch... some would come right up and others might take several weeks to germinate.... and because I'm "thrifty" I re-used some of the pellet packets that had what I thought were "dud" seeds only to have them germinate alongside other seeds... I ended up doing a lot of "transplanting" and it got confusing!

Is this fluctation in germination times common?
MrTomatoHead

Back to top Go down

Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 Empty Re: Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds

Post  MrTomatoHead 12/13/2010, 2:28 am

Megan wrote:Those lights have me drooling with envy!!! I love you But, please, folks, let's stay on topic and leave the health aspects of aluminum and soy out as much as we can.

Agreed... sorry!
MrTomatoHead

Back to top Go down

Post  ASFx 12/13/2010, 3:07 am

MrTomatoHead wrote:
Great... sorry to distract the thread, but I was concerned for you. I've had a garden for two years straight in the more traditional sense... tons of tomatoes and squash, and a few side vegatables. I have grapes and raspberries lining my fence line. This year I put in 9 blueberry bushes and finished off the development of an asparagus hedgerow.

This SFG concept intrigues me. I came across (as referenced in earlier message) Dr. Fuhrmans work while referencing diabetes issues for a family member and have been absolotely transformed by his work as a nutritionally oriented doctor.

His success in being a truly "healing" vs. "symptom masking" (read pill popping) doctor grabbed my attention. I've followed his nutritional advice now for 7 weeks and have lost 25 lbs, dropped my blood pressure 10 points and am feeling fabulous as, at age 53 I am walking around with the weight I had in my 20's!

So, with your interest in nutrition for health, by all means check out his two latest books...

And... what a concept... his basic formula is Health and longevity= Nutritional content of the foods yo eat/calories taken in.

Which means, don't eat the crap... saturated fats, salt, sugar etc... (70 to 80%) of the calories consumed are corn (GMO, BTW) "pharmaceutically created" foods.... and eat primarily vegetables (especially leafy greens), fruits, beans, nuts/seeds, and occasionally meat (less than 10% of your total calories)

He cites tons of studies (even with my skepticism... you can see trends) and shows a pretty much lock step correlation between cancer, heart disease, stroke and the dietary shifts in the West in the last 1/2 century or so.

Some very good reading... and has changed my life dramatically... thus I'm gonna start growing my own with SFG.

It's so much fun to grow squash. I think I ended up with 9 or 10 big spaghetti squash on a 4ft section of my trellis. They continued to produce until late fall. Congrats on the weight loss and thanks for the book recommendations Smile

MrTomatoHead wrote:
I'll be interested how this works for you. Do you soak them first? Or "water them in"?

I've used those dehydrated pellet packets with varying success on different seeds. I think I drowned some while others worked pretty well. What really threw me in last years garden is that I had wide fluctuation of the germination times for seeds from the same batch... some would come right up and others might take several weeks to germinate.... and because I'm "thrifty" I re-used some of the pellet packets that had what I thought were "dud" seeds only to have them germinate alongside other seeds... I ended up doing a lot of "transplanting" and it got confusing!

Is this fluctation in germination times common?

I really haven't experienced that much variation in germination times. With the peat pellets, I put them all in the tray then add about 8-10 cups of water until they all expand and the water is absorbed. The temperature in my house is usually 60 degrees in the Winter and 78 degrees during the summer, so I don't have many problems with germination. I don't even use a heat mat. I normally sow 2 seeds per peat pellet, and plant a couple more peat pellets than I need just in case. After that, i'll pour in maybe 2 cups of water every few days and let all the peat pellets soak it up from the bottom. Also, the majority of the seeds I use are from Botanical Interests. They only sell non-gmo, non-treated seeds. That might make a difference too.

Edit: One other thing I do sometimes is use a spray bottle to mist the tops of the peat pellets until the seeds germinate (if they look dry). I want to make sure to never let the top layers of the peat pellets dry before germination otherwise the germination may not happen.

Last edited by ASFx on 12/13/2010, 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
ASFx

Male Posts : 44

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 12/13/2010, 3:09 am

MrTomatoHead wrote:
Megan wrote:Those lights have me drooling with envy!!! I love you But, please, folks, let's stay on topic and leave the health aspects of aluminum and soy out as much as we can.

Agreed... sorry!

Thank you, it's appreciated! Very Happy Please do read up on our Terms of Service (https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/general-sfg-talk-f5/tos-terms-of-service-t4745.htm#37847), and ask me or another moderator if you need assistance.

And by the way... I adore squash! I had a monster squash plant this year, still have a few big winter-phase ones on my kitchen floor I am debating how to use up. Ravioli, maybe! hungry
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 Empty trellis?

Post  jsavolt 5/6/2011, 11:34 pm

Love your box design and trellis. How far in the ground did you put your trellis supports? Only to the bottom of the box or did you dig them into the ground a bit? I was thinking I had to put them in like a fence post but maybe not.
jsavolt

Female Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Post  ASFx 5/6/2011, 11:37 pm

jsavolt wrote:Love your box design and trellis. How far in the ground did you put your trellis supports? Only to the bottom of the box or did you dig them into the ground a bit? I was thinking I had to put them in like a fence post but maybe not.

Thanks! The ground here is literally as hard as a rock. I tried hitting it with a pick axe and all it did was make sparks, so the 4x4" posts don't go into the ground. They are so solid though, that they have stood up to really powerful wind without budging at all.
ASFx

Back to top Go down

Post  jsavolt 5/7/2011, 10:42 am

ASFx- Thanks much. Will do the same here. It will save me the work of digging. My hubby just got back with a load of wood and we are ready to get started. We are adding new beds to the north side of the garden and want the trellis to look nice. Yours are beautiful!
jsavolt

Female Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Post  ASFx 5/29/2011, 4:53 pm

Here's some update pics from this year so far Smile

Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 Kt0sM
Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 WhobP
Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 OT29i
Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 OFqvK
Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 L47YG
Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 WRVvC

And here's a pic from 11 days ago when it was raining. I took it from my kitchen window. You can see how much everything has grown since just 11 days ago though!
Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 DChoN
ASFx

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/29/2011, 5:06 pm

It is looking so nice !! I just saw your garden with John Kohler, the newer one. The "grass" looks good too. Did you have a harvest of potatoes last year, I was wondering how you did. Or was that this year lolol. You have done a great job there, congrats.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  ASFx 5/29/2011, 5:10 pm

Ha-v-v wrote:It is looking so nice !! I just saw your garden with John Kohler, the newer one. The "grass" looks good too. Did you have a harvest of potatoes last year, I was wondering how you did. Or was that this year lolol. You have done a great job there, congrats.
Ha-v-v

The potatoes are one thing I haven't had a lot of luck with. I did get a harvest from the buckets, but it wasn't as much as i'd hoped. I planted them much earlier this year in case the heat killed them prematurely last year, but so far i've been having the same result this year. I don't think i'll keep trying to grow potatoes here next year.

And oh yes, the update video John Kohler did on my garden was awesome. Im the one that did the camera work for him in my garden, and also at the Las Vegas garden convention that day haha Smile

Here is the video in case anyone else reading this thread wants to see it:

ASFx

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/29/2011, 5:11 pm

Everything looks terrific. I can't believe those are the same bare boxes I saw not long ago.
Happy gardening.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  ASFx 5/29/2011, 5:29 pm

quiltbea wrote:Everything looks terrific. I can't believe those are the same bare boxes I saw not long ago.
Happy gardening.

Thanks Smile I really can't believe it either. I've learned so much since last year.
ASFx

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/29/2011, 5:33 pm

I just watched the video and enjoyed it.
I've seen many of John Kohler's youtube videos and enjoy those as well.
Thanks for sharing.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/29/2011, 6:25 pm

I want to have potatoes so bad, I planted in 2x8'x8'' boxes, I have since put one of those boxes 5 high Smile I have used hay for my medium to "hill up" Im not sure of the perfect time to plant, but I planted earlier than I did last year. I figure its a good experiment (large scale mind you lolol for me) if I get some potatoes I will see what worked. I also have some in a bathtub and a tote we will see Smile I totally understand not wanting to grow what doesnt work. Im going to be looking at my tomatoes to see what likes heat and what doesnt this year.

I was wondering about the Collard Tree, how does it taste? Im quite curious about that one. Do you have lots of ways of making it? It is something I would think about trying for sure.

Exciting you got to be camera man for your gardens video. I think that is great! It came out well Smile I hope he keeps going back Smile and showing folks.

Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  ASFx 5/29/2011, 6:29 pm

Ha-v-v wrote:I want to have potatoes so bad, I planted in 2x8'x8'' boxes, I have since put one of those boxes 5 high Smile I have used hay for my medium to "hill up" Im not sure of the perfect time to plant, but I planted earlier than I did last year. I figure its a good experiment (large scale mind you lolol for me) if I get some potatoes I will see what worked. I also have some in a bathtub and a tote we will see Smile I totally understand not wanting to grow what doesnt work. Im going to be looking at my tomatoes to see what likes heat and what doesnt this year.

I was wondering about the Collard Tree, how does it taste? Im quite curious about that one. Do you have lots of ways of making it? It is something I would think about trying for sure.

Exciting you got to be camera man for your gardens video. I think that is great! It came out well Smile I hope he keeps going back Smile and showing folks.

Ha-v-v

I'm sure your potatoes will turn out much better than mine hah Smile

The tree collard taste really seems to change depending on the weather. During the cooler months it tastes much sweeter, but now while it's warmer, the leaves get pretty bitter. During Summer they're still good for juicing or blending into a smoothie that includes fruit, but I can't think of much else. During the cooler months since theyre sweeter, theyre good for chopping up and putting into salads, or using whole leaves as wraps. Lately i've been putting one whole leaf into my fruit smoothies every morning.
ASFx

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/29/2011, 6:35 pm

ASFx wrote:
Ha-v-v wrote:I want to have potatoes so bad, I planted in 2x8'x8'' boxes, I have since put one of those boxes 5 high Smile I have used hay for my medium to "hill up" Im not sure of the perfect time to plant, but I planted earlier than I did last year. I figure its a good experiment (large scale mind you lolol for me) if I get some potatoes I will see what worked. I also have some in a bathtub and a tote we will see Smile I totally understand not wanting to grow what doesnt work. Im going to be looking at my tomatoes to see what likes heat and what doesnt this year.

Ha-v-v

I'm sure your potatoes will turn out much better than mine hah Smile

The tree collard taste really seems to change depending on the weather. During the cooler months it tastes much sweeter, but now while it's warmer, the leaves get pretty bitter. During Summer they're still good for juicing or blending into a smoothie that includes fruit, but I can't think of much else. During the cooler months since theyre sweeter, theyre good for chopping up and putting into salads, or using whole leaves as wraps. Lately i've been putting one whole leaf into my fruit smoothies every morning.
\

LOL Thanks for the happy thoughts on my potatoes Smile Time will tell. Thanks for the info on the collard tree, I will look into it. I like the idea of smoothies and collards Smile I have "grand" plans for my garden to feed us and that would fit right in Smile Wraps sound good too, I could see us using them like tortillas.
Thanks for the updates Smile its always fun seeing folks progress Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  ASFx 6/24/2011, 6:52 pm

Here's a few updated pics. I took these about 2 weeks ago so everything is even bigger now. Maybe I need to make more updates pics hah.

Overall Garden Shot:
Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 MOha2

These cayenne peppers are coming out purple which is interesting. Even the flowers are purple. They came from a packet of normal red cayenne peppers, and all the other cayenne pepper plants i grew from the same seed packet are red.
Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 1IjRc

Basil: Thai, Boxwood, Purple Petra, and Genovese. I also have two Pesto Perpetuo basil plants growing in pots (not pictured)
Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 Rfhtv

24 pepper plants of all different types. Poblano, Cayenne, Habanero, Jalapeno, Bhut Jolokia, Thai, Hungarian Wax, Banana, & a couple others.
Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 PSqZc

Purple Bells
Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 OOD75

Poblanos: These plants always get really tall and stretchy.
Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 N72Gv

First baby spaghetti squash:
Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 Mpa4m

Nice Truss of Porter Tomatoes:
Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 HnYwj

Hawaiian Tropic Tomatoes:
Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 8b8yR

Ripening Porter Tomatoes:
Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 RIC17
ASFx

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 6/24/2011, 7:00 pm

THAT is an amazing garden! praise I could only dream . . .

(Btw, was your garden featured in a video? Seems like I saw a garden very similar to yours - sans those incredible veggies - when I was researching SFG this spring.)

MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  ASFx 6/24/2011, 7:03 pm

MasonGarden wrote:THAT is an amazing garden! praise I could only dream . . .

(Btw, was your garden featured in a video? Seems like I saw a garden very similar to yours - sans those incredible veggies - when I was researching SFG this spring.)

Thanks! Yup, John Kohler (growingyourgreens on youtube) did 3 or 4 videos of my garden and my indoor seed starting setup. He came last summer, and again to do another update last month. The videos are in this thread. The most recent one is on the previous page.
ASFx

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 6/24/2011, 7:14 pm

Oops! I didn't read the whole thread. silly me I just saw those amazing photos and stopped dead in my tracks. Thanks for pointing me to the link. Now I can look at the journey your garden has been on, including the seed starting setup (starting to think about next year already).
There's lots to learn on this forum! Just finished building my four 4'x8'x20" raised beds - Page 3 43549
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/25/2011, 2:11 am

Well, MasonGarden, as a newbie I have just read through the whole thread and all I can say is "AWESOME".

Lots of good ideas etc.

How on earth do you keep it all so neat and tidy? I guess all your plants are well-trained.

Do you keep a log of all the produce you harvest and/or the cost of it?

For myself, I reckon my lettuce are costing me about a hundred bucks apiece, but I hope to get the average cost down over time. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  ASFx 6/25/2011, 3:24 am

Kelejan wrote:Well, MasonGarden, as a newbie I have just read through the whole thread and all I can say is "AWESOME".

Lots of good ideas etc.

How on earth do you keep it all so neat and tidy? I guess all your plants are well-trained.

Do you keep a log of all the produce you harvest and/or the cost of it?

For myself, I reckon my lettuce are costing me about a hundred bucks apiece, but I hope to get the average cost down over time. Very Happy

Thanks Smile Actually i don't train my plants much at all. They all just grew like that. I do help the squash and watermelons up the trellis if they need it, but that's about it. The tomatoes sprawl where they want. I haven't kept a log of the amount of produce I harvest or the cost. I do it mostly as a hobby and to have as much of my own healthy organic veggies as possible.
ASFx

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 6/25/2011, 6:02 am

Growing organicly is one of the ways I make my garden pay for it's self. I could never afford to buy the organic stuff I grow.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/25/2011, 10:35 am

[quote="Kelejan"]

How on earth do you keep it all so neat and tidy? I guess all your plants are well-trained. /quote

I've just realised that the SFG portion of my yard is quite tidy, except for the snow peas that have taken a hit with the wind and that need propping up because I did not realise that the peas would grow so high.

It is the rest of my yard that is "somewhat" unruly Very Happy and I had better do something about it.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  AprilakaCCIL 6/30/2011, 12:52 pm

Amazing Garden!!! I Love it!!! cheers
AprilakaCCIL
AprilakaCCIL

Female Posts : 219

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next