Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures! Toplef10Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures! I22gcj10Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures! Toplef10Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures! I22gcj10Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures!

5 posters

Go down

Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures! Empty Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures!

Post  Weed 'em and Reap 5/31/2010, 1:38 pm

Hello Everyone!
I am new to the forum - just joined today! This is my 2nd year having an SFG garden, or any garden at all, actually.
Last year, we had 1 garden - a 2'x8' with a 4' trellis. We used paving bricks instead of wood for the border. It didn't work out too well. The Sugar Snap Peas and Basil were excellent, everything else was so-so.
This year, we have scrapped the old garden (saving the Mel's Mix), and built new cedar SFG boxes! We have: two 2'x4', one 2'x2', and three 4'x4' L-shaped boxes (same size as a 4'x4', but with a 2'x2' chunk missing out of a corner). We currently have the boxes built. One box (a 2'x4') is in the garden, filled with soil, and planted, yay! The others are awaiting installation later this week.
Here are a few pictures of last year's garden:
Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures! 208110
Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures! 166410
Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures! 203310
And here is one picture of this year's garden, so far (just finished making the boxes):
Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures! 241810
Weed 'em and Reap
Weed 'em and Reap

Back to top Go down

Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures! Empty Re: Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures!

Post  Chopper 5/31/2010, 8:20 pm

Well I can't wait to see the rest of them in a month or so. I am looking forward to everyone's pictures as the gardens progress. Are you able to do a year round garden where you are or too far north?

Nice pictures!
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures! Empty Re: Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures!

Post  timwardell 5/31/2010, 8:38 pm

Nice pics Weed'em! Looking forward to seeing those new boxes filled with plants.
Just as an FYI... If you ever need to check in with other SFG'ers that share your climate you'll find them in the Lower South regional forum.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/31/2010, 9:02 pm

I really like those L shaped boxes! Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Weed 'em and Reap 5/31/2010, 10:30 pm

Thanks for reading my post, everyone!

Chopper: I, personally, have not done a year-round garden because of several reasons: when fall arrives, I have more responsibilities at work and cannot spend as much time in the garden. Also, as the weather gets cooler, I do not want to spend much time in the cold air outdoors anymore, and may not visit the garden for days (or weeks)! One day, maybe, I'll try to do some fall or winter crops... we'll see. It does get below freezing here. It snowed here a couple times last winter, but some years it doesn't snow at all.

Tim: I have already visited the Lower South forum - it's great! Thanks for the personal invite, though. :-)

Camprn: Thanks! I got the idea for the L-shaped boxes while looking at various websites that had pre-made raised-bed garden kits for sale. One site had a similar shape that seemed to be almost perfect for the space that I have. (I ended up making them myself, though, with DH.) The L-shaped boxes allow for a 3' path in the garden - it'll make more sense when I can put it all together and post a picture of it. Hopefully, by the end of the week I'll have more pictures to share! PS - I really like your Carrot picture. Did you grow those and take the picture yourself?
Weed 'em and Reap
Weed 'em and Reap

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 6/1/2010, 9:04 am

I love your L-shaped boxes! I can't wait to see what they look like midsummer Smile

I hope to make our garden more visually appealing as we add to it each year. We started out with a very utilitarian design.
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Weed 'em and Reap 6/1/2010, 3:46 pm

That was our plan, too - to add a couple boxes to our existing ones each year...
But we had to start all over this year because of a couple different reasons:
1 - We used brick pavers for the border of the box. I did not realize, at the time, how much that material wicked away all the moisture! Just like a terra-cotta pot, it needed to be watered every single day. Sometimes, that wasn't even enough in this hot Georgia sun. I think that was the main reason that some of our plants didn't do very well - the ones that suffered the most were the ones that needed a lot of water to begin with.
2 - We put the weed cloth directly over our existing grass, then the garden box and Mel's Mix. This would've been fine, if we didn't have BERMUDA grass. Bermuda grass grows through weed cloth. By the end of the season, we were seeing more and more grass in the garden, and it was really hard to get rid of, as the roots went down, down, down, below the weed cloth. This year, we are digging up the grass first.

Here are some more pictures of this year's garden, so far...
Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures! 03210
I know it's quite late in the season to plant some of those things (like lettuce), but I just couldn't help myself. I'm calling it an experiment.
The bricks are just there temporarily, until we can get something nice to replace it with.

Here is our "Juliet" Tomato, awaiting transplanting into the SFG. Already blooming! (A tiny Jalapeno and a tiny Fairytale Eggplant are in the background.)
Hello from Central Georgia! With Pictures! 03710
Weed 'em and Reap
Weed 'em and Reap

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down