Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Raised bed garlic vs. in ground Toplef10Raised bed garlic vs. in ground 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Raised bed garlic vs. in ground I22gcj10Raised bed garlic vs. in ground 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Raised bed garlic vs. in ground Toplef10Raised bed garlic vs. in ground 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Raised bed garlic vs. in ground I22gcj10Raised bed garlic vs. in ground 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Raised bed garlic vs. in ground

+6
aspiegardner
Kabaju42
timwardell
camprn
Ha-v-v
Retired Member 1
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Raised bed garlic vs. in ground Empty Raised bed garlic vs. in ground

Post  Retired Member 1 5/29/2010, 7:42 pm

It is an accepted fact that in this part of Texas raised beds don't work. It's too dry and impossible to keep moist enough for plants to thrive. At least that's what folks keep telling me. Well, here's the proof I need to refute them. This is ordinary wild field garlic -- not the elephant kind. Last October when I moved from the country I dug up several small clumps to get a start on this new property. I planted one clump in a lasagna bed and the others in soil that I dug deep and amended with compost and sand. Neither have had any fertilizer and both had the same frequency of watering. Can you tell which was planted where? Raised bed garlic vs. in ground Icon_biggrin Remember that these started out the same size and were planted at the same time. I included a 12" ruler to show perspective.

Raised bed garlic vs. in ground Garlic10

I wish I had planted more in the lasagna bed. BTW, I am convinced that I would have had the same results in 10-12" of Mel's mix, but hadn't even heard of it last October.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Raised bed garlic vs. in ground Empty Re: Raised bed garlic vs. in ground

Post  Ha-v-v 5/29/2010, 8:15 pm

So nice ! Ok the larger ones were planted in your lasagna beds? I love garlic Smile Its an essential.

Thank you for sharing Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 5/30/2010, 7:41 am

Yes, the larger were planted in a raised bed. The individual cloves are larger than some of the bulbs that grew in the traditonal manner.
Retired Member 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/30/2010, 7:49 am

Very very nice Belfry,
I did read about the lasagna beds from the site you posted on another thread. I thought it was an excellent way to do things Smile I have some store bought garlic I planted and Im experimenting. I go to google and ask ..can I do this, it says yes. I did read you can trim the scapes to make the bulb bigger. Did you ever do this with your garlic? The store bought garlic is growing well, and I did trim the scapes per an article I read. Its nice to see others with experience. My experience is in the making.

Thanks again for sharing, those garlic look lovely. If I get garlic out of the garden this year and its big enough Smile Im roasting it and making Buttah Smile

Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 5/30/2010, 2:08 pm

Ha-v-v wrote:Very very nice Belfry,
I did read you can trim the scapes to make the bulb bigger. Did you ever do this with your garlic?
Thanks again for sharing, those garlic look lovely. If I get garlic out of the garden this year and its big enough Smile Im roasting it and making Buttah Smile

Ha-v-v

I always cut off the flower stalk -- otherwise the energy of the plant goes into making seed instead of growing large bulbs. I love roasted garlic!
Retired Member 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/30/2010, 4:55 pm

Oh thank you so much belfry. Can you do this with onions too? I planted white onion bulbs and the shoots are a foot tall now. I have a lot of onions planted in a square, I was thinking I could trim some and let some grow making some onions smaller and bigger. Does that make sense? Trim some onions and leave some?

The first time I made roasted garlic was when we had goats and I was able to make a nice soft herbed cheese to put on a toasted bread with it. I thought why havent I had this before !! Roasted garlic on anything makes it taste better, well almost anything. :-D

Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/30/2010, 4:57 pm

Belfry :-D another garlic question. Now that you have the garlic out of the soil, how you will treat them, i.e. how will you store them and dry them?
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/30/2010, 5:04 pm

4" garlic Shocked Roasted garlic Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 5/30/2010, 7:21 pm

Ha-v-v wrote:Oh thank you so much belfry. Can you do this with onions too? I planted white onion bulbs and the shoots are a foot tall now. I have a lot of onions planted in a square, I was thinking I could trim some and let some grow making some onions smaller and bigger. Does that make sense? Trim some onions and leave some?

Ha-v-v

Unless the onion put up a flower stalk (which they normally don't do), let them grow until they are crowded and then pull a few out while they are still small to give room for the others to grow larger. I begin by pulling up every third one, ansd then every other one, if necessary. Onions are great at all stages of development.
Retired Member 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 5/30/2010, 7:26 pm

Ha-v-v wrote:Belfry :-D another garlic question. Now that you have the garlic out of the soil, how you will treat them, i.e. how will you store them and dry them?
Ha-v-v

If the bulbs are not split, I wash them right away and tie several stalks together and hang them in the shed to dry for a week. Since this garlic is stiff necked, I've not been successful at braiding them. If the bulbs are split, as one of the large ones in the picture, I wash well, separate the cloves and let them dry on a screen. I store both cloves and bulbs that have lost their tops in mesh bags in a dark place. I identify three or four bulbs as "seed bulbs" and don't wash them. I brush off as much dirt as possible, and tie together to save for Fall planting. Although the wild garlic usually comes back on it's own from little bulbets that fall off the main bulb.
Retired Member 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/30/2010, 7:27 pm

Belfry,
Thank you again Smile I will do that, let them grow until crowded. I love onions too. We lived a while in a campground in Pa, (we traveled for a while with my husbands job) and my husband and sons would find wild onions, they werent any bigger than a big big pearl onion, but were so sweet and good. We made a stew and they were a big part of it. I planted two more squares of onions last week and they are already peeking out of the top. This has been the best garden yet for me Smile

Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/30/2010, 7:30 pm

I identify three or four bulbs as "seed bulbs" and don't wash them.

What would make a bulb an ideal seed bulb? What are you looking for?
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 5/30/2010, 9:23 pm

Looks great belfry! Very Happy
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 5/30/2010, 9:49 pm

That's awesome results.

Can you give a quick tutorial about growing garlic? We've thought about doing it, but haven't looked to see if you need to do anything special yet.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 5/31/2010, 7:31 am

Ha-v-v wrote:
I identify three or four bulbs as "seed bulbs" and don't wash them.

What would make a bulb an ideal seed bulb? What are you looking for?

A well rounded medium-sized bulb that isn't split. They keep longer.
Retired Member 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/31/2010, 7:42 am

Thank you Belfry again :-D !! Now .. lolololol I pray our house is up and I have 4 walls and a roof at least Smile So I have a drying area this year Smile The wheels are turning as to where if its not done by harvest Smile lololololol

I love this forum. The information is like walking into a library Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 5/31/2010, 7:44 am

Kabaju42 wrote:That's awesome results.

Can you give a quick tutorial about growing garlic? We've thought about doing it, but haven't looked to see if you need to do anything special yet.

The garlic I grow is wild field garlic. At my previous property, I just identified three or four clumps in the field close enough to get a water hose to, dumped on lots of manure and compost as soon as the shoots emerged in the fall, and other than a bit of watering let nature do her thing. When I moved here I dug up several clumps and you see the result.

This coming fall, I will plant individual cloves four to a square in which I've added extra compost and aged manure (this is one place that Mel and I disagree as he suggests 9 to a square). Water regularly. Cut off the scape when it appears, and harvest the garlic when half the top had died back. That's all there is to it. Just be sure and find a garlic that is adapted to your area.
Retired Member 1

Back to top Go down

Post  aspiegardner 6/1/2010, 8:13 am

Awesome. I have to find garlic to plant next year or in the fall, it'd be fun.
aspiegardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 6/1/2010, 8:23 am

Awesome. I have to find garlic to plant next year or in the fall, it'd
be fun.

I have some friends that live in Finland. Her husband loves garlic, plants it from the store into pots, he then cuts the scapes to help the bulb grow he gets to use the scapes to eat. Finland has a short growing season so they use pots and they are in an apt. You could use them like a live condiment thing, just keep scissors handy. We have someone in the forum that uses cilantro this way, I thought this was the coolest idea Smile I have store bought garlic in one square and I have cut the scapes for the first time. We will see when its time to harvest a couple Smile
Belfry's garlic has encouraged me tremendously.

Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/1/2010, 10:54 pm

I planted garlic last fall for the first time. We are getting lovely scapes starting the end of last week.

How long do I have to harvest the scapes, for best results? And if I need to harvest them in the best interest of the garlic, how long do they last for cooking?
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Joan Larcom 6/1/2010, 11:11 pm

belfrybat wrote:
Kabaju42 wrote:That's awesome results.

The garlic I grow is wild field garlic. At my previous property, I just identified three or four clumps in the field close enough to get a water hose to, dumped on lots of manure and compost as soon as the shoots emerged in the fall, and other than a bit of watering let nature do her thing. When I moved here I dug up several clumps and you see the result.

This coming fall, I will plant individual cloves four to a square in which I've added extra compost and aged manure (this is one place that Mel and I disagree as he suggests 9 to a square). Water regularly. Cut off the scape when it appears, and harvest the garlic when half the top had died back. That's all there is to it. Just be sure and find a garlic that is adapted to your area.

Dear Belfrybat, What are scapes? If these are the greens making up the top, how can you tell when half of the top has died back as a key to harvest time? Here in Hawaii, I've never grown garlic but people do this in the fall and then harvest 6 to 9 months later. I would like to try this so please let me know how you succeed. How deep will you plant the cloves?
Joan Larcom

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 6/2/2010, 8:47 am

martha wrote:I planted garlic last fall for the first time. We are getting lovely scapes starting the end of last week.

How long do I have to harvest the scapes, for best results? And if I need to harvest them in the best interest of the garlic, how long do they last for cooking?

Each garlic bulb puts up one scape (flower stalk). Cut them before they straighten out if you are eating them so they will be tender. The wild garlic I grow has a scape stem that is always straight and I cut it off as soon as I identify it. Haven't tried eating them, and now will have to wait until next year.
Retired Member 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 6/2/2010, 8:52 am

Joan Larcom wrote:
Dear Belfrybat, What are scapes? If these are the greens making up the top, how can you tell when half of the top has died back as a key to harvest time? Here in Hawaii, I've never grown garlic but people do this in the fall and then harvest 6 to 9 months later. I would like to try this so please let me know how you succeed. How deep will you plant the cloves?

Scape is the flower stalk. It is round with a bulb on top and comes from the center of the bulb. See above post. When the garlic bulb is mature, the leaves will turn brown and die. I harvest when about half the plant has died back. I plant in late September/ early October here and usually harvest early June. Plant the clove rounded end down 3 times as deep as it's height.
Retired Member 1

Back to top Go down

Post  ander217 6/2/2010, 3:09 pm

belfrybat wrote:
Just be sure and find a garlic that is adapted to your area.

I'm growing stiff-necked garlic for the first time this year. (We had plenty of elephant garlic which escaped from my grandmother's garden - it is mild and not a true garlic - and we never grew the real thing before.) My husband's cousin sent us cloves from his patch in New York. Since we are in Missouri, does this mean his garlic won't do well here? It is growing tall, but the stems and leaves are much smaller than the elephant garlic plants. I assumed that was normal.

How do you find which garlic is adapted to your area?
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 6/2/2010, 6:02 pm

Missouri is cold enough that garlic from NY will do just fine. Here's an article that explains different garlic types. It's geared for southern gardeners since that is where I live. I'm sure you can find similar articles using an Internet search for northern varieties. http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/growsouth.htm
Retired Member 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next