Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a Toplef10Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a I22gcj10Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a Toplef10Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a I22gcj10Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a

3 posters

Go down

Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a Empty Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a

Post  DebbieinCA 4/2/2024, 9:42 am

Hi,

I'm Debbie. I love gardening, and I love learning from other gardeners. My greatest struggle is ground squirrels, so my family built a 9x14 screen house last summer to keep the critters from taking bites out of my vegetables and berries. We added 3 self-irrigated raised beds that are 3 ft. x 6 ft. and squeezed in some Greenstalk towers. This will be first full spring/summer planting season with this setup. Any advice would be much appreciated. My hopes are high!
DebbieinCA
DebbieinCA

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a Empty Re: Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/3/2024, 11:16 am

Welcome to the forum, DebbieinCA!  Sounds like you are off to a great start.  Do you have a growing medium in your raised beds yet?  I am sure the folks from your region will be more helpful, it is still too cold and wet here in the Midwest to do anything outside!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8721

sanderson and DebbieinCA like this post

Back to top Go down

Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a Empty Thanks for the welcome Scorpio Rising

Post  DebbieinCA 4/4/2024, 10:51 am

Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm waiting for the wet weather to go away here, too. It seems to rain every time I have a day off. Not the weather I'm used to, but still not something I can complain about to people dealing with freezing temperatures. I will complain when my plants stop growing because of the 90 to 110 degree hot summer sun in August and September, though.  sunny 

My growing medium is a combination of raised bed soil (low in nutrients) from a local business with a great reputation, San Pasqual Valley Soils, their Valley's best compost, vermiculite, alfalfa pellets, worm castings, bagged Promix potting soil, and some Espoma granular organic fertilizer. The berry bed also has some bagged, organic, acidic soil designed for blueberries and some coffee grounds. I have not been good about measuring out exactly what any one source says to add, and I'm worried about whether the soil has a good balance of the right nutrients for all the food I want to grow this year. I've ordered a simple soil testing kit from Amazon. I hope that will be enough.
DebbieinCA
DebbieinCA

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a Empty Re: Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a

Post  sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

Hi Debbie, Welcome to the Forum from Fresno, California, The land of 95-110*F, dry summers.

One of the great things about Square Foot Gardening is that we use Mel's Mix for the bed fill, only 6-7" of it. For tall beds, the SFG Foundation recommends an inert bottom fill of washed sand or topsoil. That way, the whole bed doesn't shrink down over time. We only use pure composts to feed the plants. Mel's Mix is 1/3 coarse vermiculite, 1/3 fluffed peat moss and 1/3 blended pure composts. By pure I mean no fillers such as coir, sand, dirt/topsoil, wood chips/fines, gypsum. Once made, the only thing added for each growing season is more blended composts, limiting manure-based composts to 20% of the total volume of composts. Mix in enough compost to bring the level back up to where it started. The beds are topped with grids for plant spacing.

The best way to understand SFG is to read the 2nd or 3rd Edition of All New Square Foot Gardening. Library, Amazon or eBay.

For hot, dry climates, like our Zone 9B falls into, mulch and overhead shade cloth can go a long way to helping the plants through the worst so they can give another bounty in the fall. My favorite straw mulch is E-Z Straw with Tack from Tractor Supply. It is easy to remove and replace when cleaning the beds and adding more blended composts. The straw reduces surface evaporation and keeps the Mix and roots cool and dark.

I always recommend getting the local vegetable planting guide from the county Ag Extension or Master Gardeners. The weather at this time of the year has been wetter than usual this spring. My target date is April 1. One dry winter the temps were right on March 15, another year it kept raining and was too cold until near the end of April. Mother Nature always dictates planting. Nights consistently 50*F or more, soil temp 60*F or more and day temps 60*F or more.
https://www.mastergardenersd.org/downloads/VegetablePlantingGuide.pdf

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down