Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Substitutions for Mel’s mix Toplef10Substitutions for Mel’s mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Substitutions for Mel’s mix I22gcj10Substitutions for Mel’s mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Substitutions for Mel’s mix Toplef10Substitutions for Mel’s mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Substitutions for Mel’s mix I22gcj10Substitutions for Mel’s mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Substitutions for Mel’s mix

+3
sanderson
OhioGardener
Dirtnap2020
7 posters

Go down

Substitutions for Mel’s mix Empty Substitutions for Mel’s mix

Post  Dirtnap2020 12/15/2022, 9:55 am

Hello Fellow SF gardeners,
I’m a new SFG and having trouble sourcing peat moss, is Pitt moss an acceptable alternative? What about the vermiculite? Can’t find an affordable source. I have several large gardens that I am converting to SF.
Thanks
Dirtnap2020
Dirtnap2020

Back to top Go down

Substitutions for Mel’s mix Empty Re: Substitutions for Mel’s mix

Post  OhioGardener 12/15/2022, 10:42 am

Dirtnap2020 wrote:Hello Fellow SF gardeners,

Hello from SW Ohio!

I’m a new SFG and having trouble sourcing peat moss, is Pitt moss an acceptable alternative?

No, PittMoss is composted newspaper, used as a potting mix. It is not a substitute for Peat Moss. It is basically a poor quality compost.

What about the vermiculite? Can’t find an affordable source.

No, Vermiculite is one of the 3 parts of Mel's Mix - Compost, Vermiculite, and Peat Moss.  None of them are a substitute for the others.

Do you not have a Lowe's or Home Depot near you?  Are you near Quincy, or Hannibal, or Burlington?  We recently visited those towns on the good ole Mississippi, and each of them had a Lowe's. Lowe's typically has large bags of Peat Moss available, or they will order it for you if they are out of stock.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4534

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/15/2022, 4:57 pm

What OG wrote.

Pitt moss is a poor substitute for peat moss.

I know the SFG Foundation says in an emergency, coir or pitt moss can be substituted.  But, neither do the job that peat moss does.  Our 1/3 volume of Peat moss balances the pH of compost.  Coir doesn't.  Pitt moss isn't worth bringing up in polite company.  Razz  I mean, it's processed paper.   silly me  Peat moss in compressed bales is the cheapest part of Mel's Mix.  (Exception is home made compost which is free.)  Lowes, Home Depot or Menards are the most common sources for peat moss.

PVPind brand Coarse or Super Coarse vermiculite can be ordered from Farm Tek or Megastore Greenhouse in 4 cu. ft. bags.  Uline currently has coarse Grade 4 in stock with a minimum order of 2 bags. For 2021 and 2022, ordering online has the most common way we have been able to find it.  The prices listed are fair prices.

Don't even consider perlite. It doesn't have an EC (electrical conductivity) like vermiculite does.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-3393/Vermiculite/Vermiculite-Grade-4-4-Cu-Ft-Bag

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/collections/soil-soil-amendments/products/vermiculite?variant=42701377208519

https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft_seed_starting-ft_growing_mediums;pg115993.html

https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft_seed_starting-ft_growing_mediums;pgsrf35284.html

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Substitutions for Mel’s mix Empty vermiculite

Post  Frost? 12/16/2022, 5:46 pm

May need to be posted elsewhere as well, just discovered another possible source for vermiculite.  A friend of mine works at a Bicycle Shop with relatively high volume.  Specializes in recumbent trikes, and really pushes electric assist.  They sell many such trikes, and replacement batteries for the expired ones - the batteries come to them packed in super coarse vermiculite, which they just throw in the trash.  Until now.  My only curiosity would be whether its treated with anything or not; fire retardant?  Don't know how one would know - looks pretty clean; maybe I should taste it...... Shocked

(He just brought me about 3 bushels; which wasn't even all he had)
Frost?
Frost?

Male Posts : 138

donnainzone5 and PVPind like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/16/2022, 7:53 pm

Coarse Vermiculite is widely used for shipping hazmat material. So much so that there are specific regulations on what can and cannot be shipped using vermiculite as the packing material.  Theoretically, unless there is a leak of the hazmat material, the vermiculite should be safe to handle.

From the Air Sea Containers transportation company:
Shipping hazardous materials is complex because there are many rules and regulations about acceptable packaging. While different hazardous materials require different packaging and filler, there are some general standards that a package and filler must meet. For instance, packaging and filler must not pose a threat of chemical or galvanic reaction when in contact with the hazardous material.

Vermiculite is not chemically or galvanically reactive with most hazardous materials, except for hydrofluoric acid. Toxic trifluoride gas is created when vermiculite mixes with hydrofluoric acid. This is why lithium-ion batteries cannot be shipped in vermiculite. When lithium-ion batteries leak battery acid and mix with air or water, they create hydrofluoric acid. (https://www.airseacontainers.com/blog/what-is-vermiculite)

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

PVPind, sanderson and Soose like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Frost? 12/16/2022, 9:05 pm

Thanks for the insight OG.  I'm going to have to inquire some more and find out what kind of batteries they use.
Frost?
Frost?

Back to top Go down

Post  Dirtnap2020 12/20/2022, 7:31 am

Many thanks for all your replies and support.
Dirtnap2020
Dirtnap2020

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/26/2022, 4:15 pm

Dirtnap2020 wrote:Hello Fellow SF gardeners,
I’m a new SFG and having trouble sourcing peat moss, is Pitt moss an acceptable alternative? What about the vermiculite? Can’t find an affordable source. I have several large gardens that I am converting to SF.
Thanks
If you read Mel's books a couple of times especially his last one before he went gardening up in the sky, he makes the observation that all composted materials can be used as the base of his mix formula.

I find I have to top up my beds with neat home made compost every three years in my 4x4 foot square x 36 inches deep beds .
 It drops by about nine inches in the three years.

I did a lot of experiments about 15 years ago and made nearly all my own super compost from nine different species from the dungs from birds; animals, their beddings and wheat straw ..... made it the 18 day way; used my rototiller to take the heaps apart to oxygenate them  ( Laughing An amusing exercise even wearing full overalls, a head covering. face  mask ,face goggles , long gloves and galoshes )   

Bulked it out to 1/3 vermiculite , 1/3 my animal manures based compost and 1/3 chopped steamed reconstituted coir waste . That was the best mix I've ever managed to get, had to top up beds at the end of the growing season  though with about 3 inches of freshly made compost fill as it rots down fairly quickly . Some of my veg are /were in the display gallery .

No need to add more vermiculite as it breaks down into microscopic water, air receptacles , so long as you turn the beds over with a small spade or fork to keep it in circulation you're good to grow for years . 

The hollow fibres left after the initial rottings that release the majority of nutrients and trace chemicals are the paths reservoirs for nutrients , air and water in your beds .  Get that right and a get it so you have a consistent level of moisture, and you can grow an amazing range of crops
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Soose likes this post

Back to top Go down

Substitutions for Mel’s mix Empty Substitutes

Post  cs434450 12/28/2022, 7:38 am

coco coir for peat moss

Perlite for vermiculite

both will continue to have shortages for awhile--and peat is not sustainable while coconut coir is. 
The coco coir maintains the moisture in the beds. The perlite keeps the soil from compacting. I found 2 huge bags of perlite through a hydroponics website this year. If you have more than one bed shopping at Lowes/HD is far too expensive plus they don't have most of the products. 
I have also added biochar into my beds to help with maintaining the soil nutrition as well.
cs434450
cs434450

Soose likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 12/28/2022, 9:20 am

The mobile app won't let me follow this, so if I comment,  I hope it'll notify me.
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/28/2022, 9:36 am

Perlite is a less desirable substitute for peat. Over time perlite tends to "float" to surface, and no longer provides the friability it is needed for.

Coir is a good substitute for peat, but it is much more expensive.  At the local Lowe's for example, they sell a package of 3 blocks of coir that expands to 1 cu ft for $30.98, while they sell a 3 cu ft bag of peat for $23.98.  Three times the volume for much less cost.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  cs434450 12/28/2022, 9:55 am

Don't buy at Lowes/Home Deposit--buy through plant companies or even Amazon is much less. I got my perlite online and even shipped to my door was much cheaper than anything you can find at Home Deposit or Lowes. And it does not float to the surface IF you mix your soil with organic materials and use the right percentage. It is all about balance
cs434450
cs434450

Back to top Go down

Post  Frost? 12/28/2022, 10:31 am

cs434450 wrote: And it does not float to the surface IF you mix your soil with organic materials and use the right percentage. It is all about balance
   Not to be contentious, but I have to side with OG on this one; based on experience.  Because Perlite won't hold water, over time, it will migrate to the surface.  If you have no choice, you have no choice - but it is a marginal substitute at best.
Frost?
Frost?

donnainzone5 and sanderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/29/2022, 6:09 pm

I've been absent for a couple of days and just now catching up.

For those in the North America countries, peat moss from Canada is the best product. Coco coir via chugging ships from Asia is not necessarily the most ecological choice. In addition, peat is acidic and helps balance our composts. I doubt we will have a shortage of peat for a very long time.

https://www.pthorticulture.com/en/training-center/sphagnum-peat-moss-production-and-sustainability-in-canada/?fbclid=IwAR2fPRW1nVjhi40nACjFF0CWPDAD03Y1v1Yq-fdDxd1zWntHl8vGvWBmlOE

Vermiculite is the best choice for Mel's Mix. It has an electrical conductivity close to that of compost which is important in the movement of chemicals (nutrients). It both holds water and releases water, providing air pockets. Perlite has no EC, floats to the top over time. Nasty stuff in my opinion. I would prefer to have 1 part fluffed peat moss and 2 parts blended real composts, without vermiculite, rather than use perlite as a substitute.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down