Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Scott's Humus & Manure Soil Conditioner Toplef10Scott's Humus & Manure Soil Conditioner 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Scott's Humus & Manure Soil Conditioner I22gcj10Scott's Humus & Manure Soil Conditioner 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Scott's Humus & Manure Soil Conditioner Toplef10Scott's Humus & Manure Soil Conditioner 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Scott's Humus & Manure Soil Conditioner I22gcj10Scott's Humus & Manure Soil Conditioner 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 12:08 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 12:02 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 11:55 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Scott's Humus & Manure Soil Conditioner

5 posters

Go down

Scott's Humus & Manure Soil Conditioner Empty Scott's Humus & Manure Soil Conditioner

Post  OhioGardener 6/9/2022, 7:55 pm

Visiting the garden center today I noticed a new pallet of bagged compost that they hadn't carried before.  The bags are labeled as Scotts Premium Humus & Manure Lawn & Garden Soil Conditioner.  I checked the label found that the bag contains "Humus" (from one or more of the following: forest products, peat, rice hulls and/or compost), manure and poultry litter.  No indication on the quantity of any of those products, but considering that the NPK of this product is only 0.12-0.06-0.09 it would appear that there is very little manure of any kind. An nitrogen level of only 0.12% is pretty low for any composted manure.

Wouldn't seem that this would be a good part of Mel's Mix.

Scott's Humus & Manure Soil Conditioner Humus_10

Scott's Humus & Manure Soil Conditioner 20220610

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4541

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Scott's Humus & Manure Soil Conditioner Empty Re: Scott's Humus & Manure Soil Conditioner

Post  sanderson 6/10/2022, 1:21 am

The peat used to make the humus already makes it suspect. Plus the words "Soil Conditioner."

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21555

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Scott's Humus & Manure Soil Conditioner Empty Re: Scott's Humus & Manure Soil Conditioner

Post  Hip2B 6/10/2022, 7:10 am

But it's PREMIUM   Razz
Hip2B
Hip2B

Female Posts : 55
Location : Burnie, Tasmania, Australia (Cool Climate / Zone 9)

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/10/2022, 5:56 pm

Hip2B wrote:But it's PREMIUM   Razz
rofl

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21555

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/10/2022, 6:52 pm

sanderson wrote:
Hip2B wrote:But it's PREMIUM   Razz
rofl

Worth a second laugh! 

rofl

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4541

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 6/20/2022, 12:49 pm

Humus is one of the major reasons why we compost. It is one of the measurements to really get a measurement on soil fertility and percentage of organic matter. it is compost when compost has nothing more to decompose to. Better explained by this article.

https://humates.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/ORGANICMATTERPettit.pdf

Here many of the Scott's Products are under Earthgro but some still have Scott's. I wish they would give a percentage of Humus in the bag because that would be a good thing to know. The low NPK doesn't bother me as that is a guarantee, any lower than what is printed and you get fined and can get fined per bag, on any fertilizer bag. So usually the NPK is lower than is what is actually in the bag and why organic fertilizers are low in their numbers. I know Scott's has a bad reputation but surely all their products can't be bad but probably better suited for garden soil than as part of Mel's Mix as OhioGardener and sanderson have stated.

It takes awhile to get humus, far longer than usable compost. If done by the hot composting method in a month or two but that is just compost that has negated plant pathogens and weed seeds, it still has to be worked on by the soil microbes. So if Scott's is actually giving you humus than that is if a good thing a very good thing as a soil amendment. I am still learning as we switch to feeding the soil microbiology and allow them to feed the plants. It would be nice to have guidelines similar to the NPK on which to compare soil amendments and well defined terminology.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 6/20/2022, 1:03 pm

I'm not trusting much of any bagged "composted" products - they're all uncomposted when I look. 

I was thinking I'd be able to get some hummus from the treed area back of my property, raked up some pine straw there but it was a very light coating and the "hummus" under wasn't thick or easily removable despite being there for 20 yrs. (Or more? ) 

Anyway, I did my best with my first Mel's Mix, at huge expense and trouble. 
The compost parts:  my own compost; another homeowner's compost; and his worm castings; Black Velvet mushroom compost from Lowe's;  1/5th manure (Black Cow from Lowe's with a bit of Epsoma chicken pelleted as part of it).

But the SFG despite being verdant with huge plants is not producing much vegetables.  Am I just too early, will it catch up?  Or have I got the mix wrong?  Will it improve as soil biology settles in? 

How am I to know?  Friends who just planted in the ground are getting way more produce, despite getting in later than my late transplants.

I made some more less than optimum MM this weekend, because I still have some 18gal tubs to do...  still had some compost sources.  But by the time I got to berries and two huge tubs I'm going to grow carrots in, deep, I was out of most of the home compost/worm casting sources.  So I made some up with only the Lowe's sources.  Blackberries will "grow in anything," I'm told; seven 18gal tubs, 14 plants.  For the carrots, in huge mineral tubs, I used the %'s on the Coast of Maine I had bought and made up a MM proportioned that way adding vermiculite and the Lowe's products, all I had. We'll see.
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down