Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's happening with my tomato plants??  Toplef10What's happening with my tomato plants??  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's happening with my tomato plants??  I22gcj10What's happening with my tomato plants??  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's happening with my tomato plants??  Toplef10What's happening with my tomato plants??  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's happening with my tomato plants??  I22gcj10What's happening with my tomato plants??  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 6:17 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What's happening with my tomato plants??

5 posters

Go down

What's happening with my tomato plants??  Empty What's happening with my tomato plants??

Post  mandiroses 6/1/2022, 9:58 am

I'm at a total loss. I don't know what to do with or what happened to my poor tomato babies... I did not start these from seed. They were purchased from a big box store. They were doing fine, I had them in a 25 gallon pot. I had two plants in there one of them became sick, so I took the other plant out to avoid it catching any type of fungus. I water on a regular schedule. I fertilize. The soil was not water logged. We purchased the topsoil from a wholesale company and used this soil throughout the rest of the garden. These are/were Celebrity tomatoes. I have another (inground) row with (4) tomato plantd and my Roma tomato plant now has this discoloration on its leaves -last pic-. 
Any help or advice, constructive criticism ANYTHING is greatly appreciated! 
Thanks! 
-A.
mandiroses
mandiroses

Back to top Go down

What's happening with my tomato plants??  Empty Re: What's happening with my tomato plants??

Post  markqz 6/2/2022, 12:07 am

Hello mandiroses, and welcome to the SFG forum!

Square Foot Gardening doesn't use topsoil, or use the "f" word (you know, the one that starts "F-E-R-T"). It's based on the techniques developed by Mel Bartholomew and described in the nearly sacred book, All New Square Foot Gardening (3rd ed.).

That said, very said to hear about your tomato plants  Sad . Did you intend to include pictures? Please describe what happened. Did the plants dry up, or wilt and become brown?

I think San Antonio has similar weather to over here in lower, lower CA. Which means lots of consistent humidity. And my tomatoes lower limbs frequently wilt and turn brown. The only thing that keeps the plant alive is that the top/tip can outgrow the condition.

So what I'm going to suggest may be completely off the wall. But my feeling is that what is happening is a form of the same mildew that attacks other plants, especially squash and peas. Back  in the 1940s, Canadian researchers discovered that a mix of milk and water sprayed on plants would suppress the mildew. So I've been spraying my tomatoes with a mix. I was able to nurse several of my tomato plants through the winter and one of them is still bearing fruit. So ... maybe I'm on to something. Anyway, it's inexpensive to try -- you can even use powdered milk.

Well, now that I've give a crazy answer, maybe some more experienced gardeners will have better suggestions.

Happy Gardening!
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Scorpio Rising, Soose and Hip2B like this post

Back to top Go down

What's happening with my tomato plants??  Empty Re: What's happening with my tomato plants??

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/2/2022, 8:28 pm

Hi Mandiroses, and welcome!  Pictures would be helpful here…or a detailed description including dates of transplanting and is there any new growth? 

I agree with markqz if it’s powdery mildew, a milk and water 1/2 and half works great. I use cheap dry milk for this….reconstituted of course!  

More info would be good, and I highly recommend the Mel Bartholomew book!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/4/2022, 11:52 pm

Mandirose, A milk and water solution is good for suppressing powdery mildew. If it gets out of control, Neem oil mixed per instruction is the next level. Caution: always spray at sundown so it has time to dry before the bees return the next morning.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/5/2022, 10:27 am

I don't see any mention (by the original poster) that should lead us to believe that this is powdery mildew.  I get powdery mildew on my peas every year but have never had powdery mildew on my tomatoes.  I don't get why our answers have been directed to powdery mildew.  There is no evidence of this.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/5/2022, 6:44 pm

Can you get us a pic or two, mandi?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down