Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod... Toplef10HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod... I22gcj10HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod... Toplef10HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod... I22gcj10HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Today at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod...

+3
jbarberdoyle
OhioGardener
Nick710
7 posters

Go down

HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod... Empty HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod...

Post  Nick710 5/29/2022, 9:25 am

After weeks of planing and acquiring the mm ingredients, I thought i was getting close to actually planting my raised bed garden. I've assembled the bed, leveled them and removed the sod under them. However I unfortunately found grubs, lots of them. That is more likely my major lawn issue and why my lawn looks horrible. So now i don't know what to do. I feel i need to remediate it before i fill the beds with my wonderful soil. I however don't know what kind of grubs they are, so to use milky spores, or nematodes, or good old chemicals.....which doesn't seem like a good option as i wanted an organic garden, but i would be 16-17 inches below the surface..... What are peoples experiences and suggestions on what i should do? Sad

HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod... Img_5410
HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod... Img_7113
HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod... Img_7112
Nick710
Nick710

Back to top Go down

HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod... Empty Re: HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod...

Post  OhioGardener 5/29/2022, 9:48 am

Beneficial Nematodes are the best solution if you know what type of grub you are targeting, but since you don't know that it isn't a really good option.  However, there is an equally good solution which gets rid of all the grubs in the lawn or garden.  It is called grubGONE, and is somewhat expensive but very effective both immediately and long term. It is Btg (Bacillus thuringiensis galleriae) which is a natural bacteria that only affects grubs and is harmless to earthworms, and beneficial insects.  I don't use any chemical pesticides, and found this a great alternative to maintain organic gardens.

https://growitnaturally.com/products/grubgone

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4545

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

haysjudith, sanderson, glfitzsimmons and Hip2B like this post

Back to top Go down

HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod... Empty Re: HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod...

Post  Nick710 5/29/2022, 12:01 pm

Thank You for your suggestion! I ordered some grubGone for my lawn and garden. 

I was thinking that i would treat the soil in the bed with a healthy dose of grubGone, then cover with a layer of cardboard, then add the new soil mix to the raised beds. And also put down grubGone around the beds and on my lawn.

Do you feel that is too fast to fill the beds and plant? I honestly wanted to plant tomorrow, but i feel i should not fill the beds until i at least attempt to remediate the issue.
Nick710
Nick710

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/29/2022, 12:22 pm

Nick710 wrote:Do you feel that is too fast to fill the beds and plant? I honestly wanted to plant tomorrow, but i feel i should not fill the beds until i at least attempt to remediate the issue.

I would wait until the grubGONE or beetleGONE has been applied to make sure the grubs have been neutralized.  As soon as the grubs come in contact with the Btg (Bacillus thuringiensis galleriae) it paralyzes their digestive tract and they will no longer be able to damage plant roots.

Unfortunately, since tomorrow is a holiday, that will delay shipment by one day.  Otherwise, the company usually has very fast shipping.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod... Empty Cautions on using Btg

Post  jbarberdoyle 6/6/2022, 12:18 pm

As with all biopesticides, care should be taken. 
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31240825/
jbarberdoyle
jbarberdoyle

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/6/2022, 2:49 pm

jbarberdoyle wrote:As with all biopesticides, care should be taken. 

GrubGONE and BettleGONE (Btg) applied to the soil affects selected grubs, and does not affect caterpillar larva, such as Monarch butterfly larva. If Bt is sprayed on plants it will kill butterfly and moth larva, and it should never be sprayed on Milkweed plants.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod... Empty diatomaceous earth

Post  neefer 6/7/2022, 12:52 am

We added diatomaceous earth to our raised beds, and it has made a huge difference.  When we discovered the grubs, they were so numerous that every spadeful had 2 or more. Now I find 1 or 2 when I double dig them (which I do to get the tree roots out).

Diatomaceous earth at Oregon State: diatomaceous earth info.
neefer
neefer

Female Posts : 3

http://www.instagram.com/neeferduir

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 6/11/2022, 11:25 am

neefer wrote:We added diatomaceous earth to our raised beds, and it has made a huge difference.  When we discovered the grubs, they were so numerous that every spadeful had 2 or more. Now I find 1 or 2 when I double dig them (which I do to get the tree roots out).

@Neefer, do you mean you sprinkled it on the surface? Or mixed it in? (Doesn't it lose effectiveness once it gets wet? Which I assume it would if mixed in. )
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/11/2022, 2:25 pm

Soose wrote: (Doesn't it lose effectiveness once it gets wet? Which I assume it would if mixed in. )

Yes, it does. That is the biggest disadvantage of diatomaceous earth. Every time it rains or there is a very heavy dew, the diatomaceous earth has to be reapplied.  I use diatomaceous earth to control the Squash Vine Borer, but it requires constant monitoring and reapplying as necessary.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/6/2023, 1:19 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
jbarberdoyle wrote:As with all biopesticides, care should be taken. 

GrubGONE and BettleGONE (Btg) applied to the soil affects selected grubs, and does not affect caterpillar larva, such as Monarch butterfly larva. If Bt is sprayed on plants it will kill butterfly and moth larva, and it should never be sprayed on Milkweed plants.

Bump an older post.

Grow It Naturally has announced that there has been a price drop in the GrubGone product. This is not a sale, but a price drop. According to their press release, October is an excellent time to apply grub control.

HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod... Grubgo11

HELP - New Bed - Grubs, Grubs, Grubs - Under the Sod... Grubgo12

https://ctrk.klclick.com/l/01HC2W55KCEED17R8SZCJ4D063_3

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/6/2023, 1:24 pm

Thank you for posting this notice. A few grubs can be tolerable, but in numbers they can wreak havoc.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Guinevere 10/12/2023, 11:51 am

Well of all the frustrating things! I just dug up the sod in my lawn to place my two new SFG beds, and there were grubs.  What a great post just when I need it, I  thought.  I'll order GrubGone.  Nope.  They can't deliver to Arkansas! 

Maybe I can find it locally, but seems unlikely.
Guinevere
Guinevere

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/12/2023, 6:37 pm

Guinevere wrote:Well of all the frustrating things! I just dug up the sod in my lawn to place my two new SFG beds, and there were grubs.  What a great post just when I need it, I  thought.  I'll order GrubGone.  Nope.  They can't deliver to Arkansas! 

Maybe I can find it locally, but seems unlikely.

Bummer!  Wonder why they can't ship to those states since it isn't even a chemical, but a biological control?  Their site says it is because, "DUE TO STATE REGULATIONS BEYOND OUR CONTROL".

I did a quick google search, and came up with this company that sells the same product with a different label, and I don't see any shipment restrictions. But, it may be restricted when going to checkout.
https://natural-alternative.com/products/grubgone-grub-control?v=29

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guinevere 10/12/2023, 9:05 pm

OhioGardener wrote:I did a quick google search, and came up with this company that sells the same product with a different label, and I don't see any shipment restrictions. But, it may be restricted when going to checkout.
https://natural-alternative.com/products/grubgone-grub-control?v=29

I also found it on Amazon, but for some outrageous high price, and I don't use Amazon but as a last resort.  I will try your link.  Thanks!
Guinevere
Guinevere

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down