Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Compost test? Toplef10Compost test? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Compost test? I22gcj10Compost test? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Compost test? Toplef10Compost test? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Compost test? I22gcj10Compost test? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 12:24 am

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/1/2024, 3:23 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 5:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/30/2024, 1:47 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 5:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 4:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 2:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 7:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 9:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 11:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 4:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 12:16 pm

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/24/2024, 12:52 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 5:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 5:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 2:36 pm

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 9:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 12:00 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 10:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 9:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 7:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 3:19 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/19/2024, 3:22 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 4:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 10:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 12:04 pm

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 8:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Compost test?

5 posters

Go down

Compost test? Empty Compost test?

Post  markqz 5/2/2022, 5:39 pm

I was wondering about the quality of my compost, as I'm sure we all do. I found a site online which said that you could test your compost by planting radish seeds, and if 3/4 germinated then your compost is good. That seems like a bit of a dubious claim, since you can germinate seeds in almost anything and many things can affect the germination rate. But it does make sense that your sprouts will do better in compost then, say, vermiculite.

Here's my radishes after about a week:

Compost test? 8rVFdz5

They have a nice dark green, which I think is hopeful.

Are there other simple suggestions for testing or comparing compost?
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Compost test? Empty Re: Compost test?

Post  goodtogrow 5/2/2022, 7:10 pm

I read this somewhere online:

"Plastic Bag Test"

Take a handful of compost from the interior of the pile and moisten it well. Put the compost in a plastic bag and seal it. Keep the bag sealed at room temperature for five to seven days. Then open the bag and smell the contents. It should have a pleasant, earthy, soil-like smell. If it smells foul or rotten or a bit like ammonia the compost is not completely finished.

Also, I suppose you could always try using one of those "NPK tests" you can buy at most garden centres.  They usually come with little capsules and vials and you just add water and check the resulting colour.
goodtogrow
goodtogrow

Male Posts : 94

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/2/2022, 9:51 pm

goodtogrow wrote:Also, I suppose you could always try using one of those "NPK tests" you can buy at most garden centres.  They usually come with little capsules and vials and you just add water and check the resulting colour.

Soil test are generally useless for testing compost. There is very little to none of the readily available NPK that these test look for in compost until such time as microbes break it down and make the nutrients plant-available. If you send in a compost sample to a lab that specifically analyzes compost, they will test for organic matter, soluble salts, phosphorus, calcium, manganese, sodium, etc., and not primarily NPK.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4526

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/2/2022, 9:54 pm

markqz wrote:I was wondering about the quality of my compost, as I'm sure we all do. I found a site online which said that you could test your compost by planting radish seeds, and if 3/4 germinated then your compost is good.

My radish seed packet managed to get damp by lying in some spilled water, and the seeds in the packet had 95% germination rate. Guess the compost quality of the packet was good.  Very Happy

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  goodtogrow 5/2/2022, 10:56 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Soil test are generally useless for testing compost. There is very little to none of the readily available NPK that these test look for in compost until such time as microbes break it down and make the nutrients plant-available. If you send in a compost sample to a lab that specifically analyzes compost, they will test for organic matter, soluble salts, phosphorus, calcium, manganese, sodium, etc., and not primarily NPK.
Ah okay, good to know!
Sorry, Mark, don't do that, then.  Wink
goodtogrow
goodtogrow

Male Posts : 94

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 5/2/2022, 11:05 pm

OhioGardener wrote:My radish seed packet managed to get damp by lying in some spilled water, and the seeds in the packet had 95% germination rate. Guess the compost quality of the packet was good.  Very Happy
There's an idea. Think how much time you'd save if the seed companies sent your seeds pre-germinated!

markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/3/2022, 8:13 am

markqz wrote:I was wondering about the quality of my compost, as I'm sure we all do. I found a site online which said that you could test your compost by planting radish seeds, and if 3/4 germinated then your compost is good.

Here's my radishes after about a week:

Compost test? 8rVFdz5
You were using a common method of testing the quality of the compost when there's a chance it's contaminated with a pre-emergent herbicide or selective herbicide. Compost test? 3170584802

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  DianeZone7OK 5/8/2022, 12:04 am

goodtogrow wrote:
Also, I suppose you could always try using one of those "NPK tests" you can buy at most garden centres.  They usually come with little capsules and vials and you just add water and check the resulting colour.

Just a reminder that if you are doing an at-home soil test, you need to know the pH of your water before you start. I had the toughest time amending my soil the first year or two until I discovered our well's water had a pH of 8.0 and I couldn't use it for the tests. I also don't use it to water my blueberries, which like an acidic pH. I use only rainwater that I collect and store especially for them.
DianeZone7OK

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/8/2022, 12:40 am

DianeZone7OK wrote:Just a reminder that if you are doing an at-home soil test, you need to know the pH of your water before you start.

If using MM, you should never need to be concerned with the pH of your SFG beds.  Compost tends toward neutralizing itself, and never varies very far from neutral unless amendments are added which are either acid or alkaline.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  DianeZone7OK 5/8/2022, 12:59 am

OhioGardener wrote:If using MM, you should never need to be concerned with the pH of your SFG beds.  Compost tends toward neutralizing itself, and never varies very far from neutral unless amendments are added which are either acid or alkaline.
Quite true. In addition to my SFG beds I also have a standard garden where I use the native clay soil and amend it. I need more room for tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and strawberries than what fits on my roof, and I just haven't had any luck with corn in an SFG bed. Nice plants, poorly pollinated ears.
DianeZone7OK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down