Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest April 2022 Toplef10N&C Midwest April 2022 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest April 2022 I22gcj10N&C Midwest April 2022 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest April 2022 Toplef10N&C Midwest April 2022 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest April 2022 I22gcj10N&C Midwest April 2022 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

N&C Midwest April 2022

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

N&C Midwest April 2022 Empty N&C Midwest April 2022

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/3/2022, 9:19 pm

So it is Spring, right?  Very cold here in Ohio, what are you guys all experiencing?  I have been putting off all my in-house seeds.   Just brought up the sprouting taters—Yukon Gold…they will go out this weekend.  Getting some sun. 

My strawberry and asparagus beds need weeded.  It has been so cold here.  Maybe this weekend?  Hope so

Started some seeds inside on the heating pad:  Nasturtiums, Marigolds, Butterfly flower, and Tansy celery.  Also, started bunching onions and cilantro and parsley.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest April 2022 Empty Re: N&C Midwest April 2022

Post  nrstooge 4/4/2022, 9:13 am

Still to cold here in Iowa to plant outside.. but my growlights are full with seedlings.  I may try to get some of the cold hardy plants into the patio greenhouse this week.
nrstooge
nrstooge

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/4/2022, 9:28 am

nrstooge wrote:Still to cold here in Iowa to plant outside.. but my growlights are full with seedlings.  I may try to get some of the cold hardy plants into the patio greenhouse this week.
Same.  I’m sure the seeds in my cold frame are just sitting there!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/8/2022, 8:00 pm

A couple of my seeds on the heating pad under lights are up!  Too cold to do anything! I will try to see what’s going on in the cold frame this weekend.  Slow progress.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM23 4/9/2022, 9:23 am

Snowed again here in Northern Illinois yesterday and overnight. Woke up to a light blanket of white all over the garden beds and feeling discouraged. Today, I'm thinking about starting marigolds and alyssum inside under the lights, maybe basil. Would love to direct sow something outside (radishes, peas, spinach, kohlrabi, etc.) but don't have a cold frame so I think it might be still too early. IDK...feeling antsy.
JAM23
JAM23

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/9/2022, 1:43 pm

I get it, JAM23, it is snowing off and on here in Ohio, too.  Nothing is happening and honestly it’s hard to feel inspired!  I haven’t opened my cold frame in forever…but it has been so cold I doubt anything is happening.  

I have about 6 Yukon Gold from last year chatting in the east window—sure would like to get them in.  They are sprouted!  I should think about starting tomatoes and peppers…but I just can’t yet.  

Little flurries….
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/11/2022, 9:03 am

I love to see the perennials starting to come up for the summer crop. The Rhubarb plants are starting to develop, each in their own 7 sq ft raised bed.   In addition to these three plants, there are three Glaskins Perpetual Rhubarb plants in the ground out by the north forty garden area.

The closest plant is a Canada Red, and the other two are Victoria Rhubarb.N&C Midwest April 2022 Rhbarb10

N&C Midwest April 2022 Rhubar24

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4534

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

ispinwool and sanderson like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/12/2022, 11:11 am

My rhubarb is up, too!  I love rhubarb.  Need to weed the strawberry bed and asparagus too.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM23 4/15/2022, 6:57 pm

A few of my radishes have just popped up, so hopefully things will start moving along from here. I threw down some spinach seeds and peas at the same times as the radish seeds but neither of them are coming up. Thinking about re-planting these seeds this weekend. It's going to be cold through about Tuesday here and the 60's and 70's by next weekend. Also thinking about direct sowing some beets, carrots, kale, lettuce swiss chard and kohlrabi this weekend but nervous it's still a tad too early. Just having a hard time waiting! LOL
JAM23
JAM23

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/16/2022, 10:42 am

JAM23 wrote: It's going to be cold through about Tuesday here and the 60's and 70's by next weekend. Also thinking about direct sowing some beets, carrots, kale, lettuce swiss chard and kohlrabi this weekend but nervous it's still a tad too early. Just having a hard time waiting!

Have you checked the soil temp in the beds you are sowing seeds? Different seeds germinate at different temperatures, and sowing too early or too late will greatly affect the germination rate.

This planting chart shows the preferred soil temp for each type of seed:
https://www.highmowingseeds.com/blog/time-to-sow-a-gardeners-guide/

Beets and Carrots, for example, prefer a soil temp of between 60ºF and 85ºF, while Lettuce and Spinach prefer cooler soil, around 40ºF to 60ºF.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM23 4/16/2022, 11:02 am

I haven't. I don't own a soil thermometer. Maybe that is where I should start Smile

Thank you for this information! Still a newbie here and learning every day!
JAM23
JAM23

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM23 4/16/2022, 11:09 am

I have a question then about soil temperatures. If the guide says that something can be sowed "as soon as the soil can be worked" but it's not the correct temperature for the seeds to germinate, say 60-85 degrees, do the seeds just sit there until the temperature of the soil rises? If so, what is the benefit of getting seeds in when the soil is workable if they just sit there for a few weeks?

I hope this makes sense.
Thanks!
JAM23
JAM23

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM23 4/16/2022, 11:10 am

Also, would anyone be able to recommend a soil thermometer?
JAM23
JAM23

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/16/2022, 11:19 am

JAM23 wrote:I haven't. I don't own a soil thermometer. Maybe that is where I should start Smile

The soil thermometer, the compost thermometer, and the moisture meter are three of my most important garden tools, and they are inexpensive to purchase.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/16/2022, 11:28 am

JAM23 wrote:I have a question then about soil temperatures. If the guide says that something can be sowed "as soon as the soil can be worked" but it's not the correct temperature for the seeds to germinate, say 60-85 degrees, do the seeds just sit there until the temperature of the soil rises? If so, what is the benefit of getting seeds in when the soil is workable if they just sit there for a few weeks?

This is a jolly good question!  Most occasions where you see "as soon as the soil can be worked" refers to plants that are started indoors and then transplanted into the garden.  The soil temp for germination is very important, though.  For an example of something that is listed as "as soon as the soil can be worked" is Kale.  I start Kale seeds indoors on a heat mat so that they have the 70ºF to 90ºF temp they need for germination, and transplant them into the garden in mid- to late-March, "as soon as the soil can be worked".  The Kale seeds would not germinate if direct sowed into the garden in mid-March, they would just rot in the soil, but the easily germinate in the house on a heat mat.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM23 4/16/2022, 11:49 am

OhioGardener wrote:
JAM23 wrote:I haven't. I don't own a soil thermometer. Maybe that is where I should start Smile

The soil thermometer, the compost thermometer, and the moisture meter are three of my most important garden tools, and they are inexpensive to purchase.

Would you be able to recommend which of these to purchase? Which brands you have had the most success with?
JAM23
JAM23

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM23 4/16/2022, 11:59 am

OhioGardener wrote:
JAM23 wrote:I have a question then about soil temperatures. If the guide says that something can be sowed "as soon as the soil can be worked" but it's not the correct temperature for the seeds to germinate, say 60-85 degrees, do the seeds just sit there until the temperature of the soil rises? If so, what is the benefit of getting seeds in when the soil is workable if they just sit there for a few weeks?

This is a jolly good question!  Most occasions where you see "as soon as the soil can be worked" refers to plants that are started indoors and then transplanted into the garden.  The soil temp for germination is very important, though.  For an example of something that is listed as "as soon as the soil can be worked" is Kale.  I start Kale seeds indoors on a heat mat so that they have the 70ºF to 90ºF temp they need for germination, and transplant them into the garden in mid- to late-March, "as soon as the soil can be worked".  The Kale seeds would not germinate if direct sowed into the garden in mid-March, they would just rot in the soil, but the easily germinate in the house on a heat mat.

Would this be a good way to look at it then:

If a plant can be transplanted (i.e. kale, lettuce, swiss chard, kohlrabi, etc) then start indoors and then transplant. If you wanted to direct sow these plants then wait until the soil temperature if optimal.

If however a plant requires direct sow from the start (i.e. beets, carrots) just wait until the soil temperature is ideal. 

These cool weather crops can be a bit tricky to figure out.
JAM23
JAM23

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/16/2022, 12:01 pm

JAM23 wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:

Would you be able to recommend which of these to purchase? Which brands you have had the most success with?

The ones I have are the Reotemp Compost Thermometer, the Taylor Soil Thermometer, and the Mosser Soil Moisture Meter.  There are other options, possibly less expensive, but these have served me well for years.

https://www.amazon.com/REOTEMP-Backyard-Compost-Thermometer-Instructions/dp/B002P5RGMI

https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Soil-Testing-Thermometer-Degrees/dp/B0030JWAVA/ref=sr_1_8?crid=IVNRGCLBJ0XX&keywords=Soil+Thermometer&qid=1650124438&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=soil+thermometer%2Clawngarden%2C91&sr=1-8

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mosser-Lee-Soil-Master-Moisture-Meter/3028417

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/16/2022, 12:15 pm

JAM23 wrote:Would this be a good way to look at it then:

If a plant can be transplanted (i.e. kale, lettuce, swiss chard, kohlrabi, etc) then start indoors and then transplant. If you wanted to direct sow these plants then wait until the soil temperature if optimal.

Yes, and no.  Lettuce and Spinach are excellent early direct-sow seeds, since they prefer cooler soil temps. Other cool weather crops, though, such as Kale and Swiss Chard prefer warm soil to germinate, but prefer cool weather to grow.  So, it is best to start those seeds indoors on a heat mat 4 to 6 weeks ahead of time, and then transplant into the garden while the weather is still cool.  I currently have kale and swiss chard growing under lights, and they will transplanted into the garden in the next week or two.

If however a plant requires direct sow from the start (i.e. beets, carrots) just wait until the soil temperature is ideal. 

Root crops , such as those beets and carrots, do not transplant well. These root crops will develop split roots, etc., if they are transplanted. It is best to direct sow those at the correct time.  And, remember that here in the midwest we can grow cool weather crops both in the early spring, and the late fall. The fit into the succession panting schedules very well.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM23 4/16/2022, 2:09 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
JAM23 wrote:Would this be a good way to look at it then:

Yes, and no.  Lettuce and Spinach are excellent early direct-sow seeds, since they prefer cooler soil temps. Other cool weather crops, though, such as Kale and Swiss Chard prefer warm soil to germinate, but prefer cool weather to grow.  So, it is best to start those seeds indoors on a heat mat 4 to 6 weeks ahead of time, and then transplant into the garden while the weather is still cool.  I currently have kale and swiss chard growing under lights, and they will transplanted into the garden in the next week or two.

Root crops , such as those beets and carrots, do not transplant well. These root crops will develop split roots, etc., if they are transplanted. It is best to direct sow those at the correct time.  And, remember that here in the midwest we can grow cool weather crops both in the early spring, and the late fall. The fit into the succession panting schedules very well.
I think I see where you are going with this. Since lettuce and spinach germinate so well via direct seeding since they require 40 degree temperatures, would it be safe to say that crops (other than roots crops which you would direct sow according to their germination temperature) that need 50 degrees or more to germinate would best be started inside and transplanted. I am thinking things like cabbage, mustard greens, and Asian greens. 

Also, thank you for your recommendations and all your time today teaching me!
JAM23
JAM23

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/18/2022, 8:23 am

It is the 18th of April,and it is snowing!

N&C Midwest April 2022 Spring23

Last edited by OhioGardener on 4/18/2022, 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/18/2022, 11:07 am

OhioGardener wrote:It is the 18th of April,and it is snowing!
It is also last day to file taxes without an extension.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/18/2022, 11:09 am

yolos wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:It is the 18th of April,and it is snowing!
It is also last day to file taxes without an extension.

Ah, yes, the harbinger of Spring....   Rolling Eyes

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/18/2022, 12:24 pm

Major snow!  At least an inch and a half and still coming down!  Thank goodness I closed the cold frame early this morning, stuff is up in there!  My poor potatoes!  Patiently waiting….chitting in the basket….
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM23 4/19/2022, 8:45 am

OhioGardener wrote:
JAM23 wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:

The ones I have are the Reotemp Compost Thermometer, the Taylor Soil Thermometer, and the Mosser Soil Moisture Meter.  There are other options, possibly less expensive, but these have served me well for years.

https://www.amazon.com/REOTEMP-Backyard-Compost-Thermometer-Instructions/dp/B002P5RGMI

https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Soil-Testing-Thermometer-Degrees/dp/B0030JWAVA/ref=sr_1_8?crid=IVNRGCLBJ0XX&keywords=Soil+Thermometer&qid=1650124438&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=soil+thermometer%2Clawngarden%2C91&sr=1-8

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mosser-Lee-Soil-Master-Moisture-Meter/3028417
Well, picked up a soil thermometer and took my first reading this morning. Soil is 32 degrees in my raised beds! Brrrrrrr!!!!! That explains a lot. Thank you for steering me in this direction. With this tool I feel like I have a little more accurate information about when to plant. Have a great day!
JAM23
JAM23

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next