Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Soil test results.. Toplef10Soil test results.. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Soil test results.. I22gcj10Soil test results.. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Soil test results.. Toplef10Soil test results.. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Soil test results.. I22gcj10Soil test results.. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Soil test results..

5 posters

Go down

Soil test results.. Empty Soil test results..

Post  MRTKH 3/26/2022, 2:50 am

....need opinions of how to raise Nitrogen but not K and P.....organically, of course.

I've had my SquareFoot beds for 8 or so years. Started with Mel's mix and have added compost (a mix of several) each year.  Generally have strong results.

Well, I decided to buy a soil test kit and was shocked at my nearly 0 level of Nitrogen. 

See my results:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f94/20/41/58/83/img_7910.jpg

BTW, pH is 7.5; K and P are very strong--almost too strong--and N is near zero. I would have added compost again this year (chicken manure and mushroom compost) but I wonder if I need only to add a natural form of N so I don't keep adding to the P and K. I believe Potash and Phosphorus build as you add organic composts like the above mentioned. Maybe its time to add in some Cottonseed Meal or Blood meal that has 12-0-0?  Thoughts?
MRTKH
MRTKH

Back to top Go down

Soil test results.. Empty Re: Soil test results..

Post  OhioGardener 3/26/2022, 8:45 am

Welcome to the forums!  Soil tests are very unreliable with highly organic soil, since they only test "available" nutrients/minerals. In organic soil, the nutrients/minerals are made available to plants as needed by the plants.  So, I don't bother doing those soil tests.

That said, if you want to add some natural nitrogen without throwing off the other nutrients just go to your local farm store a get a bag of organic alfalfa pellets. Scatter some alfalfa pellets over the soil, and work it into the top 3" of soil a couple weeks before planting. The soil microbes will break down the alfalfa pellets in to readily available nitrogen.  Just don't add nitrogen to bed areas that will be planted with legumes.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4532

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

MRTKH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTKH 3/26/2022, 12:49 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Welcome to the forums!  Soil tests are very unreliable with highly organic soil, since they only test "available" nutrients/minerals. In organic soil, the nutrients/minerals are made available to plants as needed by the plants.  So, I don't bother doing those soil tests.

That said, if you want to add some natural nitrogen without throwing off the other nutrients just go to your local farm store a get a bag of organic alfalfa pellets. Scatter some alfalfa pellets over the soil, and work it into the top 3" of soil a couple weeks before planting. The soil microbes will break down the alfalfa pellets in to readily available nitrogen.  Just don't add nitrogen to bed areas that will be planted with legumes.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f94/20/41/58/83/2ae66810.jpg

I think you are right, OhioGardner.  Last year I was able to produce these 8 feet tall indeterminate tomato plants that produced 30 to 40 per plant. If I had 0 Nitrogen, I would have had larger issues for sure. I was able to grow herbs, chard, radishes, beans, carrots, beats...etc. All with great success. So I must have some level of N in my soil.  I will try supplementing with a little Soybean Meal 7-1-2 this year just to see if it brings my N up a little but I will still rely on compost the most.
MRTKH
MRTKH

Soose likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 3/26/2022, 3:15 pm

I used the same kit and it showed my nitrogen was fine, but my phosphorous was low. Other lines of evidence also indicated my phosphorous was low.

Your solution looks very clear. Did you filter it somehow before testing? I don't see much in the way of organic matter there, which is what I would expect. Also, did it show low nitrogen on a second test? (they include enough pills for 10 tests). Also be aware that the kits are only good for about a year or so. So if they sat on a shelf somewhere, they may not be as accurate. I'm thinking the next time I get a kit I'm going to store it with desiccant in the fridge alongside the seeds I save.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTKH 3/26/2022, 7:24 pm

markqz wrote:I used the same kit and it showed my nitrogen was fine, but my phosphorous was low. Other lines of evidence also indicated my phosphorous was low.

Your solution looks very clear. Did you filter it somehow before testing? I don't see much in the way of organic matter there, which is what I would expect. Also, did it show low nitrogen on a second test? (they include enough pills for 10 tests). Also be aware that the kits are only good for about a year or so. So if they sat on a shelf somewhere, they may not be as accurate. I'm thinking the next time I get a kit I'm going to store it with desiccant in the fridge alongside the seeds I save.
Solution is clear because I let it settle overnight in water and extracted water carefully not to disturb the sediment.
MRTKH
MRTKH

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/28/2022, 3:08 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Welcome to the forums!  Soil tests are very unreliable with highly organic soil, since they only test "available" nutrients/minerals. In organic soil, the nutrients/minerals are made available to plants as needed by the plants.  So, I don't bother doing those soil tests.

What OG wrote.  The OTC test kits are more for dirt with fertilizer (instant use nutrients) use.  Not for 33% + organic growing medium.  Nitrogen comes in several forms.  Unusable, usable, usable with microbes.

https://extension.missouri.edu/publications/wq253#:~:text=Scott%20C.%20Killpack%20and%20Daryl%20Buchholz%20Department%20of,Organic%20nitrogen%20exists%20in%20many%20differen%20...%20?msclkid=30397ea8aec811ecbb3dccd9bf8b28a1

The official guideline is to limit manure-based compost to 20-25% of the total blended composts.

Use the plants as a "home test kit."  Consider the temperature of the Mel's Mix and the air.  Consider the moisture of the Mel's Mix.  If something looks off, then start researching and maybe have a soil test done by a lab equipped to test dirt-less growing media, like Mel's Mix.  If a nutrient is recommended, add only 1/2, or even 1/4, of the recommended ingredient.  Baby steps.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Soil test results.. Empty Blood meal

Post  HRut1766 5/8/2022, 8:11 am

is a great organic source of nitrogen.
HRut1766
HRut1766

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/9/2022, 3:53 am

HR, We don't use fertilizers, not even organic fertilizers such as blood meal. In SFG, we feed our plants with blended real composts.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down