Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
This volunteer plant with interesting flowers Toplef10This volunteer plant with interesting flowers 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

This volunteer plant with interesting flowers I22gcj10This volunteer plant with interesting flowers 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
This volunteer plant with interesting flowers Toplef10This volunteer plant with interesting flowers 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

This volunteer plant with interesting flowers I22gcj10This volunteer plant with interesting flowers 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

This volunteer plant with interesting flowers

5 posters

Go down

This volunteer plant with interesting flowers Empty This volunteer plant with interesting flowers

Post  markqz 9/29/2021, 12:59 am

I feel like I should recognize this, either as a weed or a plant. It has some interesting multi-colored flowers. And of course it's growing more robustly than anything else in the garden :

This volunteer plant with interesting flowers YwUJHQy
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

This volunteer plant with interesting flowers Empty Re: This volunteer plant with interesting flowers

Post  OhioGardener 9/29/2021, 9:03 am

Looks like it might be a mint, is it? If so, it will definitely grow robustly, and grow and grow and grow and....

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4524

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

markqz likes this post

Back to top Go down

This volunteer plant with interesting flowers Empty Re: This volunteer plant with interesting flowers

Post  markqz 9/29/2021, 11:20 am

OhioGardener wrote:Looks like it might be a mint, is it?

Yes, now that you mention it, must be "a mint". Square stems, alternate leaf pattern. Now which one?

It's every so lightly hairy. I broke off a piece and it has a slight odor that I can't place. More floral than minty, perhaps.

Mints are known to hybridize, so I suppose it could be it's own thing.

If it wants to take over the front boxes, it's welcome! I did something wrong with the mix that I threw together at the start of Covid. Possibly it's the commercial compost I added. Maybe it had the bad kind of weed killer (the kind that persists in the soil). Or maybe there's not enough light. So, for instance my walking onions are now the walking dead onions.

So I'm trying to water it, add compost, and hope it works itself out. So I've been trying to find crops, covers, or flowers that will thrive. It turns out that lemon grass is happy there given enough water. I tried buckwheat but it was only so-so. The mint is welcome but I imagine it's only a matter of weeks before it dries up as the days get shorter.

markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 9/29/2021, 3:52 pm

markqz wrote:If it wants to take over the front boxes, it's welcome! I did something wrong with the mix that I threw together at the start of Covid. Possibly it's the commercial compost I added. Maybe it had the bad kind of weed killer (the kind that persists in the soil). Or maybe there's not enough light. So, for instance my walking onions are now the walking dead onions.

So I'm trying to water it, add compost, and hope it works itself out. So I've been trying to find crops, covers, or flowers that will thrive. It turns out that lemon grass is happy there given enough water. I tried buckwheat but it was only so-so. The mint is welcome but I imagine it's only a matter of weeks before it dries up as the days get shorter.

If it was some bad compost with the Grazon herbicide in it, plant a "grass" seed, such as cereal rye (Winter Rye), or oats. The grass crops not only thrive in the Grazon herbicide, but they gradually dissipate the herbicide.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/30/2021, 11:30 pm

I feel like I have been introduced to this plant, and it didn't have a good story.
. . .of course it's growing more robustly than anything else in the garden. .
Of course it is. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Oregonrain 10/1/2021, 10:22 am

This looks like Lantana to me. In GA it grows vigorously. It is seeded by birds and can be beautiful. I don’t think I want it in my garden since it can grow to 6 feet in height and width, although that will take a while.
Oregonrain
Oregonrain

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 10/1/2021, 11:24 am

Oregonrain wrote:This looks like Lantana to me. In GA it grows vigorously. It is seeded by birds and can be beautiful. I don’t think I want it in my garden since it can grow to 6 feet in height and width, although that will take a while.
Love my Lantana's.  So do the butterflies.
This volunteer plant with interesting flowers Lantan10
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 10/1/2021, 3:56 pm

Does lantana have a slight floral smell to the leaves?

I've only seen lantana when it was a shrub, not when it's young.

I like lantana, but when my child was young my spouse was obsessed when getting rid of it since it was poisonous. I did my research and discovered that no actual people have ever been poisoned by it -- only cattle. You have to eat 10% of your body weight in lantana for it be poisonous!

I'm kind of leaning towards the plant being a somewhat stunted Bee Balm. Does that seem at all a possibility?
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 10/1/2021, 5:28 pm

Ok, after looking at some more pictures, I think OregonRain is right -- It's lantana.

markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 10/1/2021, 5:29 pm

markqz wrote:I'm kind of leaning towards the plant being a somewhat stunted Bee Balm. Does that seem at all a possibility?

It could be, but my Bee Balm has a more pointed leaf than the one you showed.  This is a picture of my Bee Balm in the spring when it was still small. Note the thinner, pointed leaves.This volunteer plant with interesting flowers Bee-ba10

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down